2019 Lincoln MKT Production Information

Per yesterday's FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) the following timetable has been announced for the 2018MY Balance Out & 2019MY Job #1.

• 02/02/2018 - 2018MY Fleet Final Order Due Date
  • 03/01/2018 - 2018MY Last Day to Spec Change
  • 05/11/2018 - 2018MY Job Last Date

• 02/11/2018 - 2019MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 03/22/2018 - 2019MY Scheduling Begins
  • 05/14/2018 - 2019MY Job #1 Date

The 2019MY Lincoln MKT Order Guide should be released to dealers on or about the date that the USOB opens.

Who thought MKT would still be around? Aviator, where are you?

And I keep waiting for Ford to kill off the Flex so who knows how much longer either the Flex or MKT will be around? How many years has it been now since Ford committed to rebuilding Lincoln and telling dealers that there was going to be all that new product development? Still waiting to see all the new promised Lincoln models! Instead they decide to put the Continental nose on every model and think that makes everything "new" again. Oh yeah... and they still have that idiotic MKC, MKX, MKT, etc. naming convention that is nothing but confusing. At least the Navigator and Continental have brand recognition. Time will tell.

And I keep waiting for Ford to kill off the Flex so who knows how much longer either the Flex or MKT will be around? How many years has it been now since Ford committed to rebuilding Lincoln and telling dealers that there was going to be all that new product development? Still waiting to see all the new promised Lincoln models! Instead they decide to put the Continental nose on every model and think that makes everything "new" again. Oh yeah... and they still have that idiotic MKC, MKX, MKT, etc. naming convention that is nothing but confusing. At least the Navigator and Continental have brand recognition. Time will tell.

So completely redesigning or refreshing the entire lineup aside from MKT doesn't count as product development?

The MK naming scheme is about to go away, potentially on the refreshes about to debut.

So completely redesigning or refreshing the entire lineup aside from MKT doesn't count as product development?

The MK naming scheme is about to go away, potentially on the refreshes about to debut.

I don't think the refreshes will get new names. Chrysler tried that with the Sebering/200 and people saw right through that.

There are things that Ford does extremely well and others, well, not so well. And yes, Lincoln has been making steady progress thanks to all those refreshes, etc. Unfortunately, it's taken a lot more years than promised to get to where Lincoln is today. Even still, product that was expected to fill voids is still a few years away. Promises, promises.

There was a time, unfortunately decades ago when Lincoln was so distinctive that you could tell a Lincoln on the highway from a half mile away. The waterfall grille and body style of the Lincoln Mark IV/V series was simply unmistakable. But over the years the Lincoln division was badly mismanaged with inconsistent product development, etc. Lincoln decides on a new front end treatment and a few years later they change it to something totally different. In addition, Ford and Lincoln have a media problem beyond their control in that they're held to a different standard. BMW has used the kidney bean nose treatment forever and with the slightest revision the media gives glowing reviews yet if Ford does carry on a design theme they get criticized and/or crucified for it. To borrow a reference to another recent message thread... Imagine if Ford gave the same attention to development to all models as it does to F-Series and Mustang.

At the same time, Ford's going through another of many cycles over the years again, thanks most recently to the Fields' cutbacks, where product development was cut and timetables pushed back by years. And in the meantime the competition catches up and then leaps past Ford and Ford is forced to do something to avoid losing even more sales, market share, etc. Sure, there are a lot more manufacturers competing in the U.S. marketplace now but Ford's lost 40% of the market share it had. Remember when Ford had 6 of the top 10 selling vehicles? Now all the decisions are dictated by the bottom line profit potential even if it means losing more sales, more market share and erosion of it's owner body upon which future sales are dependent.

The MKT Town Car pretty much exists for livery use. No big deal keeping it around another year.

Fixed....I refer you to the drivers side lower front door...MKT was at the front of the class with the march to give Lincolns proper names...now, when the whole "MK" naming scheme is scrapped, they only have to not put the MKT badging on the car, simply, Town Car.

885503775.jpg

The explorer Platinum is the Aviator hiding in plain sight, an additional trim level that cost bugger all to develop

and cost effective thanks to no sheet metal changes to implement. Now combine that with "do Nothing/ Unifor agreement"

and it's clear that Ford is having its cake and eating it too with value adding Flex and MKT production, ~$40K each......

MY2019 has to be the last year for D4 based models surely....

Edited by jpd80

• 4 weeks later...

Of course, MKT would probably end up looking like a longer Explorer but with the swoopy MKT skin

and pretty much what Folks have been asking for with the Aviator.

In hindsight, perhaps the Flex's squarer body silhouette could have made for a better more appealing MKT

• 3 weeks later...

Per yesterday's FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) the following updated timetable has been announced for the 2018MY Balance Out & 2019MY Job #1.

• 02/02/2018 - 2018MY Fleet Final Order Due Date
  • 03/01/2018 - 2018MY Last Day to Spec Change
  • 05/11/2018 - 2018MY Job Last Date

• 02/12/2018 - 2019MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 03/22/2018 - 2019MY Scheduling Begins
  • 05/14/2018 - 2019MY Job #1 Date

The 2019MY Lincoln MKT Order Guide should be released to dealers on or about the date that the USOB opens.