Why is it taking so long for the Bronco to come out?

I have to chuckle with some of these posts. A lot of people on here gave Borg a hard time with his "x-ray" vision that could see through a spy-shots camo. There are people here seeing through camo on pictures that don't exist.

Good luck to all. I hope Ford's attempt at the Bronco is very successful as I have friends and family that are directly affected by it.

Fin

I take most of these posts as people saying what they WANT the Bronco to be, not what it is. We're all guessing at this point...

You may be right JP but with Bronco’s relatively small volume, I don’t think Ford will invest in a unique interior.

For Everest I would agree. But Bronco is a heritage vehicle just like Mustang. I don’t expect an exact replica but I think it will be a unique dash with retro styling just like Mustang.

• Like 2

It was Kev-Mo that said it in post 25 of this topic and I don't think he was talking about Dana (not to say they won't be using Dana axles - they probably will. But this was a different supplier).

That's not the post I meant; it was a different thread from many months ago. I think I might've posted about the Dana presentation, but I haven't gone looking.

I'm implying that working for Ford Motor Company, that I hear things. Some things, I can and have, confirmed. Like the aluminum truck and diesel. I work at DTP so that's easy.

But I also hear things about other programs in the company from people I know that work at other plants, and engineers that work all around the company.

I'm not going to confirm anything I've heard because I'm too far from what's happening. Fuzzy would be the better person to do that. But, from what I've heard, some people on this site have a preconceived notion on what the Bronco may or may not be. And, if what I hear is true, they're going to be surprised when it's unveiled.

It's either a Bronco... or it's not.

And if it's not a Bronco, then it will be a failure on Ford's part. There is no reason to Reimagine the Bronco, to reinvent a classic... when there are plenty of existing or potential new nameplates they could use rather than tarnish a legacy.

Don't fix what isn't broken Ford.

Edited by probowler

I have to chuckle with some of these posts. A lot of people on here gave Borg a hard time with his "x-ray" vision that could see through a spy-shots camo. There are people here seeing through camo on pictures that don't exist.

Good luck to all. I hope Ford's attempt at the Bronco is very successful as I have friends and family that are directly affected by it.

Fin

As Fordmantpw pointed out, we're stating what we'd like it to be and what we think will be successful and what we think won't be successful.

That's completely different than what Borg would do - seeing things that you could tell weren't the way he described it, but claiming with 100% certainty that's what it was. He's now left FIN because posters there are also tired of his constant negativity (any positive comment he'd make about Lincoln would have to be offset by something negative), so he decided to leave......and it was funny too how he spent months saying how terrible Lincoln was and how he wasn't going to buy another one again and was for sure getting an Audi....only to out of the blue announce that he bought a 2018 MKX.

Could they (Bronco/Mustang) share a dash? (Or at least parts/theme)

No. It wouldn't fit, nor would it make any sense.

I take most of these posts as people saying what they WANT the Bronco to be, not what it is. We're all guessing at this point...

This. As I said above, we're pointing out what we think it would need to be in order to be successful, and also what we think would be a failure. And the consensus seems to be that in order to be successful, it'd have to be a nicer Wrangler, and it being a rebadged Everest would be a complete failure and a waste of the Bronco name. Though I should take that back - I don't know if a rebadged Everest would be a failure - they'd sell some - but it'd be a poor usage of the Bronco name

Not having seen the Ranger dash, I don't see how either of us could say that.

It just wouldn't fit with the design we're thinking it'll have.

It's either a Bronco... or it's not.

And if it's not a Bronco, then it will be a failure on Ford's part. There is no reason to Reimagine the Bronco, to reinvent a classic... when there are plenty of existing or potential new nameplates they could use rather than tarnish a legacy.

Don't fix what isn't broken Ford.

I agree!

• Like 1

I would frame our expectation of Bronco in terms of a SAT analogy question (just to framing purpose, not saying the execution will be identical):

• Bronco is to Everest what FJ Crusier is to 4Runner/Prado

And in terms of heritage theme or based styling, think of it as a continuous spectrum from remake to reinterpretation:

• Original <--> Remake <--> Pastiche <--> Retro <--> Reinterpretation
  • Land Cruiser 70 <--> upcoming Mercedes G-class <--> FJ Cruiser <--> Wrangler <--> Mustang or Porsche 911

Original has a clear meaning... it is original!

Remake means the vehicle is thoroughly modern but the design is slavishly copy of the original. Based on the spy photos, I think the upcoming G-class SUV is a remake... it looks just like the original.

Pastiche is design that celebrates or play up its connection to an original. Paying homage with style over substance... it requires you to have high degree of familiarity with the original to appreciate the design. The last Thunderbird was a pastiche, The VW Beetle is another example here.

Retro design mimics the original design but doesn't copy it. It makes improvements and places priority on functionality. Basically a flip of pastiche where the design begins to take ownership of its form rather than relying on the original for context.

Reinterpretation is the most liberal form of heritage design. It is instantly recognizable as what it is and recalls the original to those in the know but the design stands on its own as contemporary. It doesn't require you to have seen the original to appreciate the inherent positive design of the new one. I don't have a good example of a SUV reinterpretation so I used Mustang or 911. Both fit the bill here... you don't need to have seen the 1964.5 or 1967 Mustang to be able to appreciate the 2017.

BTW, these are my definitions and my thoughts. You don't have to agree with me but I think it helps us think about what Bronco may look like. My personal opinion is that it will probably be to the right of the scale... more reinterpretation of the original Bronco than a retro or pastiche design.

• Like 1

I would frame our expectation of Bronco in terms of a SAT analogy question (just to framing purpose, not saying the execution will be identical):

• Bronco is to Everest what FJ Crusier is to 4Runner/Prado

And in terms of heritage theme or based styling, think of it as a continuous spectrum from remake to reinterpretation:

• Original <--> Remake <--> Pastiche <--> Retro <--> Reinterpretation
  • Land Cruiser 70 <--> upcoming Mercedes G-class <--> FJ Cruiser <--> Wrangler <--> Mustang or Porsche 911

Original has a clear meaning... it is original!

Remake means the vehicle is thoroughly modern but the design is slavishly copy of the original. Based on the spy photos, I think the upcoming G-class SUV is a remake... it looks just like the original.

Pastiche is design that celebrates or play up its connection to an original. Paying homage with style over substance... it requires you to have high degree of familiarity with the original to appreciate the design. The last Thunderbird was a pastiche, The VW Beetle is another example here.

Retro design mimics the original design but doesn't copy it. It makes improvements and places priority on functionality. Basically a flip of pastiche where the design begins to take ownership of its form rather than relying on the original for context.

Reinterpretation is the most liberal form of heritage design. It is instantly recognizable as what it is and recalls the original to those in the know but the design stands on its own as contemporary. It doesn't require you to have seen the original to appreciate the inherent positive design of the new one. I don't have a good example of a SUV reinterpretation so I used Mustang or 911. Both fit the bill here... you don't need to have seen the 1964.5 or 1967 Mustang to be able to appreciate the 2017.

BTW, these are my definitions and my thoughts. You don't have to agree with me but I think it helps us think about what Bronco may look like. My personal opinion is that it will probably be to the right of the scale... more reinterpretation of the original Bronco than a retro or pastiche design.

I think that's a fair assessment.

Whatever styling is chosen for Bronco, it will have certain cues that remind us of the original but also keeping us firmly in the now, a blending not unlike we see in Mustang, certainly contemporary but unmistakably a Mustang

Edited by jpd80

And at two years out from release, Ford would be fast approaching engineering lock in where all the major engineering components and body shape would be locked, leaving room in the next 18 months for minor tweaks to exterior and interior. So whatever has been decided is now pretty much set in stone so to speak ..... no major changes from here on.

Edited by jpd80

What wouldn't fit the design? AFAIK, nobody outside of the design team has seen the production Ranger dash.

But I don't think anybody believes it will be drastically different than the current Ranger (or any other Ford product).

And if the Bronco is going to have some type of heritage styling then some of us don't think that styling is appropriate.

I was fortunate enough to park next to a ROW Ranger 2 weeks ago. I was eyeballing the interior quite a bit (I didnt care if the guy came out early, Its not his! LMFAO) and TBH, It looked far better in person than the pictures. It was a wildtrak edition. Stitched leather on the dash etc.. I am really not a fan of the current truck. Its FREAKING MASSIVE! But the interior was pretty sharp.

• Like 1