Ford Sales October 2017 Up 6.2 %

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2017/11/01/oct-17-sales-rls.pdf

Ford Posts 6.2 Percent October Sales Gain, Marks Best F-Series Sales in 13 Years; Ford Brand SUV Sales Up 4.6 Percent, While Strong Customer Demand Lifts Lincoln SUV Sales 13.1 Percent

Highlights:

• Ford Motor Company’s U.S. sales increased 6.2 percent last month, with 200,436 vehicles sold
  • Retail performance was up 3.5 percent versus a year ago, on sales of 148,105 vehicles
  • Fleet sales, as expected, increased 14.6 percent due to order timing, with 52,331 vehicles sold
  • F-Series sales totaled 75,974 trucks for October, a 15.9 percent gain. Overall F-Series average transaction prices increased $4,000 versus last year, to $47,300, with strong new F-150 high series demand and continued strong demand for high series Super Duty
  • Ford brand SUV sales totaled 57,637 vehicles, a gain of 4.6 percent overall and a 9.0 percent increase at retail
  • Sales of Edge increased 36.9 percent, with overall sales of 11,036 vehicles. Last month represents Edge’s best October performance since its first year of launch in 2007
  • Explorer performance was up 5.0 percent, with sales totaling 16,914 vehicles. Explorer performed even better at retail, posting a 13.1 percent gain
  • Focus sales increased 7.8 percent in October, the fourth straight month of gains. Focus performance models, Focus ST and RS, were up 42.3 percent
  • Lincoln SUV sales gained 13.1 percent; MKC, MKX and Navigator sales all saw increases

post-6726-0-14290700-1509543924.png

post-6726-0-14290700-1509543924_thumb.png

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 2

They must have bumped the rebates on C-MAX.

Cars down across the board, but still sold over 40K units.

SUVs - 57K units and holding steady YTD. Navi and Expy will bump that nicely.

Who says Ford only sells F-series?

Speaking of F-series - 75K units????? Are you kidding me? That's 900K/yr. Think they'll hit 1M next year?

Transit and Transit Connect are down for the year. Is that due to cyclical fleet sales or was last year higher than expected?

I think there are two things. Transit has recall issues with rear drive part (can't remember what exactly. Both are experience heavy competition now. There are at least two other competitors to the transit connect now ( Dodge and Mercedes).

They must have bumped the rebates on C-MAX.

Or maybe there was a big fleet delivery this month.

Transit and Transit Connect are down for the year. Is that due to cyclical fleet sales or was last year higher than expected?

Transit had a stop sale earlier this year so that probably hurt its number a bit.

Transit Connect is likely being volume controlled because Ford is likely to lose the Chicken Tax case. I noticed a lot of Ford dealers in LA area that used to sell tons of them stopped advertising it on the local papers - which means Ford pulled the co-op ad money on the van. You can still order it and Ford will probably do fleet deals if a big buyer wants it but doesn't seem like Ford is really trying to sell a ton of them. Ford was on track to sell 70k Transit Connect a few years ago but once the Treasury Dept got into the Chicken Tax avoidance case, sales started trending down. The two are probably related.

Edited by bzcat

Or maybe there was a big fleet delivery this month.

Transit had a stop sale earlier this year so that probably hurt its number a bit.

Transit Connect is likely being volume controlled because Ford is likely to lose the Chicken Tax case. I noticed a lot of Ford dealers in LA area that used to sell tons of them stopped advertising it on the local papers - which means Ford pulled the co-op ad money on the van. You can still order it and Ford will probably do fleet deals if a big buyer wants it but doesn't seem like Ford is really trying to sell a ton of them. Ford was on track to sell 70k Transit Connect a few years ago but once the Treasury Dept got into the Chicken Tax avoidance case, sales started trending down. The two are probably related.

What is preventing the Trandit Connect from being built in NA? Seems like Ford has the capacity. Im starting to see more of the other manufacturers equivalent vehicles around here, which seemed to be dominated by Ford previously.

Slightly off topic comment. How do you qualify for the X plan?

You have to be friends or family with a Ford employee or you have to work for a Ford partner company (that's how I get mine). Some clubs also offer them such as the mustang club of america. Or if you have 100 shares of Ford stock for at least 6 months.

It's not the deal it used to be when it was slightly below dealer invoice. Now it's $100 - $150 above invoice - but it's still a good no haggle price and the dealer can't stick you with additional or exorbitant fees or make you take dealer add-ons.

Plus with the decline of the midsize sedan market, there's now available capacity at Hermosillo, there's still capacity at KCAP1 with the Transit, there's still capacity at FRAP (always has been), Oakville and MAP.

MAP can obviously be ruled out because of the upcoming Ranger and Bronco (which by all indications will still leave excess capacity). FRAP can probably be ruled out thanks to that mythical self driving electric SUV project and the fact that Ford still doesn't seem to realize what they have in that plant. That leaves Oakville, Hermosillo, KCAP 1 and Cuactitlan that all have some capacity available.

Plus with the decline of the midsize sedan market, there's now available capacity at Hermosillo, there's still capacity at KCAP1 with the Transit, there's still capacity at FRAP (always has been), Oakville and MAP.

MAP can obviously be ruled out because of the upcoming Ranger and Bronco (which by all indications will still leave excess capacity). FRAP can probably be ruled out thanks to that mythical self driving electric SUV project and the fact that Ford still doesn't seem to realize what they have in that plant. That leaves Oakville, Hermosillo, KCAP 1 and Cuactitlan that all have some capacity available.

Why would MAP be ruled out? I don't see Ranger/Bronco/whatever more than 200K.

I don't think Fusion sales will stay this low. I think they'll rebound back to 20K/month once they refresh the tophat.

just throwing darts here, but what if TC was the second one? Ecosport by itself won't be nearly enough volume for that plant's capacity.

I think it was listed as a small C platform crossover. This was in the internal document that was posted last year (which itself was over a year old).

We know they're adding a small C crossover and it won't fit in Louisville.

I think it was listed as a small C platform crossover. This was in the internal document that was posted last year (which itself was over a year old).

We know they're adding a small C crossover and it won't fit in Louisville.

I think the Small C Crossover is now being called Gen X Crossover in internal documents?