Weight sticker

foo

In Arizona or any state maybe for that matter which provides the valid/legal payload:

The sticker inside left door (as per attached) or

a piece of paper I found in glove box titled: Consumer Information: Truck Camper Loading.

The difference between the cargo weights shown in these 2 are immense. Only one can be correct AND the legal limit.

In Arizona or any state maybe for that matter which provides the valid/legal payload:

The sticker inside left door (as per attached) or

a piece of paper I found in glove box titled: Consumer Information: Truck Camper Loading.

The difference between the cargo weights shown in these 2 are immense. Only one can be correct AND the legal limit.

The door sticker takes into account every option installed on the truck. That, as previously mentioned, is your legal payload.

Thanks for the replies. This helps and also what I believe is correct, the door sticker.

I have asked the dealer for explanation about the Consumer Information sheet and they don't seem to be able to explain it!

I've got the question out to RV dealers too. Here is one reply:

"The biggest thing to keep in mind is that a cabover sitting in the back of your bed is not the same as cargo weight. Because the cabover is front heavy...much of the weight is not sitting over the rear axle of the truck, which is the only thing that cargo weight ratings consider." The reply then goes on to talk about towing but that is not what I asked about.

If anything else of interest comes in I will post here.

Hi Pioneer

Not sure which point you are writing is not true but if you can explain the cargo weight rating that would be great.

Here is what the Consumer Info sheet says

The TOTAL CARGO LOAD =
Mfr Camper Weight +
Addl Camper Equip +
Camper Cargo (food, water, clothing........) +
Passengers

AND

The TOTAL CARGO LOAD should not exceed the CARGO WEIGHT RATING which is 2481.

So what this strange document says is the CAMPER Dry weight + everything in it should not exceed the 2481 which is about 800 lbs under the sticker cargo load of 3336 and that is one huge difference.

Don't know what a consumer info sheet is. The sticker rating is your payload. Payload takes into account the total weight of the truck with all factory installed options. Doesn't matter where you put the weight in the vehicle, you have to deduct it from that number. I would go by that.

AKirkby thanks, very interesting.

Page 4: “Cargo Weight Rating” means the value specified by the manufacturer as the cargo-carrying capacity, in pounds, of a vehicle, exclusive of the weight of the occupants (in the vehicle), computed as 150 pounds times the number of designated seating positions.

This contradicts the statement in Ford F Series Truck/Camper Combination Selector I got at time of order that says the Cargo Weight Rating includes 5 passengers.

In any event the CWR is far under the sticker weight.

AKirkby this is exactly my interpretation. We will normally be 2 people so 4 x 150 = 600 means we have gives 450lbs extra cargo space (the payload of course stays the same whether with 1, 2 or 6 people. And I would say whether you load a apples, hogs or a truck camper. Also they use 6 passengers as standard not 5 as I wrote. (I have a reply from a Ford Weight Engineer). The brochure Truck Camper Selector presented at time of order turns out to be useless unlike the document you sent a link for where each option weight can be added/subtracted.

All in all I am convinced it is sticker payload that is relevant. Nobody really has been able to explain the Cargo Weight Rating.

Nor more from me on this, I'll check just to see if any more repies.

Thanks to all

Edited by foo

UPDATE - it seems the idea of the cargo weight rating and payload are the same thing just looking at from 2 different viewpoints. Totally confusing but here's my try.

The CWR is a weight that is a result of deducting 6 x 150 lbs for passengers from the payload and deducting any options that increase the vehicle curb weight.

The payload includes the passenger weight of 6 x 150 lbs.

So if you have a payload of 3300 lbs your Cargo Weight will be 3300 - 900 (6 passengers x 150) = 2400 (and less if options weigh more).

Either way for each passenger less than 6 you have another 150 lbs more cargo weight available.

If your payload is 3300 and you have a driver and passenger you can load 3000 lbs.

If your Cargo Weight Rating is 2400 and you have a driver and passenger you can load 2400 + 600 (weight of 4 people x 150 not being utilized) = 3000.

The gross vehicle weight number is the important one. What you should do is load up the vehicle and then go weigh it. Or you can go weigh the truck with a full tank of fuel and subtract that from your gross vehicle weight rating and that will give you your payload. That is the only way to now for sure.