'18 Mustang GT Track Pack 2

Ford rolls out more upgrades as freshened Mustang nears dealers
October 23, 2017 @ 5:00 am
Michael Martinez...http://www.autonews.com/article/20171023/OEM04/171029905/mustang-ford-upgrades-performance

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is working to generate buzz about the freshened 2018 Mustang,
which goes on sale this month, with a variety of upgrades that add power, improve handling
and boost profit margins.

The company on Monday said it will offer a second performance package on the Mustang GT
that includes wider tires, special wheels, unique stability control and Brembo brake calipers.

The Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2 will cost $6,500 and offer customers an option
between Power Pack Level 1 and the automaker's track-capable GT350.

"It will just beg you to go faster," Jamie Cullen, Ford's supervisor for vehicle dynamics development,
said in a statement. "The car has lightning-quick response and never gives up grip."

The Level 2 package, only available with a manual transmission, puts the car a half-inch closer
to the ground than the Level 1 pack. It also includes a 67 percent stiffer rear stabilizer bar,
a 12 percent stiffer front stabilizer bar, 20 percent stiffer front springs and 12 percent stiffer
rear springs

The pack comes with black detailing on the splitter and spoiler, the tire spat on the back edge
of the rear wheel wells and the 10-spoke wheels.

The 2018 Mustang will be the fastest pony car ever, Ford said, thanks to an optional "drag strip"
mode. It will also come with an optional "good neighbor" mode that quiets the noise emitted from
the car's exhaust pipes.

Edited by jpd80

FYI... Ford still hasn't updated the 2018 Mustang Order Guide to include the Level 2 content or updated the Price List to include the Level 2 pricing. Typical for the information to be leaked to the media before providing the information to Dealers!

So that potential buyers then run off to their dealer and hit them with a barrage of questions..

Hopefully Ford doesn't come back with late availability, like March or April 2018..

So that potential buyers then run off to their dealer and hit them with a barrage of questions..

Hopefully Ford doesn't come back with late availability, like March or April 2018..

If that is the case it would be for the 2019. Latest rental fleet guide shows the Mustang as an early 2019 Model change over.

Edited by jasonj80

Are these packages availible for the ROW too?

i would expect so but it may take a while for deliveries to begin, especially for the RHD versions.

The Aussies in particular were disappointed that no GT350.GT350Rs were allocated to them,

they have the fanatics that will pay AUS$100K for an apex predator car...

Edited by jpd80

The GT350/350R wasn't built in RHD at all.

Probably won't ever be unless some rich guy pays to have one converted.

I know that, I'm saying that Ford did not have the foresight

but perhaps views have changed with over 14,000 sales since Jan 2016

And due to import rules gray imports of that model mustang are banned

so even if we wanted one, they're not permitted into the country

The previous GT500 would sell converted for up to AUS$150,000

Edited by jpd80

I understand that Ford had to be cautious introducing Mustang where Falcon was for so long,

they didn't know how strong the response would be and how willing buyers would be to pay for

higher series Mustangs, the conversion rate from the I-6 T and S/C V8 Falcons and what not.

Hopefully they start to include more update data on what those buyers would be looking for

and how much they would be prepared to pay...I think the stage 2 track pack will answer a

lot of that but let's not forget that we've been spoiled for years having hand built S/C V8s

in the HP Falcons...

Edited by jpd80

So, one of the first promo releases was the sub-4.0 second drag feature--available only with the 10-spd automatic. Then, we get word of the Track Pack 2 that's only available with the stick. Aside from the obvious "save the manuals," and "real men drive sticks," I think it curious that Ford limited Track Pack 2 to manuals. I wonder if there is a cooling or programming issue with the automatics subjected to actual track conditions?

So, one of the first promo releases was the sub-4.0 second drag feature--available only with the 10-spd automatic. Then, we get word of the Track Pack 2 that's only available with the stick. Aside from the obvious "save the manuals," and "real men drive sticks," I think it curious that Ford limited Track Pack 2 to manuals. I wonder if there is a cooling or programming issue with the automatics subjected to actual track conditions?

I could see them not prepared to release the track pack two for the 10 speed yet. I would bet they havent had the time to put the engineering work into that with getting the standard production vehicles out to the public.

Or like the Camaro SS 1LE, they don't see the need for an automatic track oriented car,

sad if true.

Keep in mind that this would be another unique engine /body computer calibration that

needs development and field reliability testing and validation and if it's not already done,

then it probably won't be happening....

Edited by jpd80

I do wonder how many 350s they'd sell auto. Chevy talks up the (Ford developed) auto in the ZL1.

Ford claims that the '18 GT Mustang with 10AT will do 0-60 in under 4 seconds - probably low 12s in the 1/4 mile.

so I'm betting that a 10AT in the GT350 would give it a much better launch and be into the mid to high 11s for the 1/4mile

Edited by jpd80

The question is how fast does it downshift and how does it operate in full automatic mode? The Porsche and Ferrari auto-manuals (and I assume the GT’s 7 speed Getrag) are so good you don’t even have to use the paddles. I’d be very surprised if the new 10 speed works that well.