Dead key fobs - intermittent

phil1961

Hi Y'all,

My 2013 suddenly over the last 2 weeks is haunted with a key fob/receiver issue. Here is the scenario - car does not recognize the fobs. I can attempt auto start and the red light flashes so the fobs are trying to connect with the car. Walk up to the car and cannot unlock. If I use the key blade to enter vehicle and place key fob in cup holder - nothing happens - cannot start car. Then after a while the fobs will work again. Next day same scenario. I have unhooked battery, nothing seems to work.

Took it to the dealer, they had it for 4 days and found nothing.

I think the receiver is malfunctioning but they won't replace it if they can't reproduce it.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

My 2013 MKZ has had that issue off n on for several years. At one point i had it towed to the dealer with exactly the same results as you.
I now have the "open car" code taped inside the rear window so at least i can get into the car (i leave the fob inside car always)

I've googled the hell outa the issue, replaced several batteries, started carrying both fobs
Used Uber to get home a couple times.

At one point i almost traded it in on a Lexus i was so frustrated.

One google came up with other signals maybe interfering with its operation?
WTF knows what causes it, Lincoln sure doesn't

Good luck to you (and me)

Karl Gunter
Sugar Land, Texas