Buy an F150 , use Ford credit and dont expect a title when paid off

cal50

Just a little rant towards Ford and its Ford credit arm.

I am a Ford (skilled) hourly employee. In the past I have always paid cash for vehicles but putting my daughter thru college diverted funds so I decided to float a small amount ( 12 grand ) using Ford Credit on my new F150 purchase. I paid it off in short order and expected to receive my F150 title in the mail. Instead what I received is a paper release of lien and no title. I called Ford credit and asked why I am not receiving my vehicle title and was told I have to go get it myself, if I want one.

This means a not fun trip to the next city over and dealing with knuckleheads in the title office.

Also burning a likely half day its another $15 out of my pocket AND time.

Is this seriously the customer support or care level Ford credit provides buyers that use them AND Ford employees?

I was told "all the banks are doing it" which really does not address the crappy follow thru on Ford Credits part and just shifting the time and cost required to secure a title for a new vehicle purchase. Something that should be included when you purchase and PAY for a vehicle.

If Ford Credit is going to be like "everyone else" I will make sure to use someone else if I ever buy a new vehicle again. If you want to do something nice for your customers proving a paper title for the vehicle they purchased and not making them have to go get it would be a nice touch .

Come on Ford, don't be like everyone else and provide crappy service and be a leader for a change and put just a little effort into taking care of your customers AND employees when they make a new vehicle purchase.

You should have received the title after purchasing the truck (after paying TTL), and the title will have the name of the lien holder on it. Then, when you pay it off, you will just get a lien release. If you want a title without the lien holder's name on it, you have to pay your $15 and get the title. It's not a must though.

At least, that's how it works here in MO, and it really has nothing to do with Ford Credit.

• Like 1

In NY, you get the title as soon as the original transaction completes - but the lien holder info is printed on it and to get a "clear" title, you have to mail it in with the lien release to the DMV and pay a fee...most people just keep the lien release with the title and when it is trade in time, turn both items over to the dealer.

• Like 1

All that I have received is the lien release and that's the only thing I will get.

(Going from what Ford Credit told me via phone)

If I want a real title for my vehicle I have to take the release to the title office and pay for one.

If you buy a .99 cent item from any store you get a receipt, buy a several thousand dollar vehicle and the title is not included.

Simply amazing.

It seems like something fell through the cracks. There has to be a title...maybe it got lost in the mail?

Apparently Ford doesn't keep the paper titles any more (at least for some states) so you have to go to the DMV to get a replacement title. Sucks but if you think about how many titles they would have to keep track of it makes sense from their standpoint.

Apparently Ford doesn't keep the paper titles any more (at least for some states) so you have to go to the DMV to get a replacement title. Sucks but if you think about how many titles they would have to keep track of it makes sense from their standpoint.

Which is why I thought they went to the owner getting the title with the lien holder's name printed on the front. Strange if they don't even do that.

I get the "paperless" approach for ease of doing business BUT even in electronic format its a pdf,tiff,doc, something somewhere that should be forwarded to the dealer , Ford Credit or whomever to be printed and delivered to the buyer.

The buyer should not incur added time or cost for something that is part of the vehicle , especially when it proves ownership.

This might be the last new vehicle I purchase and not a fan of paying more and getting less.

Which is why I thought they went to the owner getting the title with the lien holder's name printed on the front. Strange if they don't even do that.

Its not strange when viewed as a cost save on the sellers end.

Looks like the state discovered a new revenue stream and removed a task from Ford , the dealership , Ford credit, etc.

Looks like the state discovered a new revenue stream and removed a task from Ford , the dealership , Ford credit, etc.

I don't think it's new revenue from the state. The state still has to reprint the title to remove the lienholder either way. Ford got rid of having to keep track of it and pay for the re-issue.

Maybe some states won't do that?

Possibly.

Well, here in MO, we have to pay a title fee when we buy a new vehicle, and I'm sure you did anyway (when you actually got a paper title), so it's really no savings. It's just delaying it until the truck is paid off instead of at purchase.