1998 Expedition 4x4 issue

Hundt

I was replacing my driver side upstream o2 sensor and noticed a thick orange flat wire hanging down on my driveshaft. It must have been there for a while because the orange insulation was worn to the bare wire. It was so thin when I moved it out of the way, the wires broke. It is plugged into my transmission/transfer case and contains three wires. Now my 4x4 selector switch doesn't work and I can't put it into any 4x4 mode. I spliced the wire back and got only AWD for one time, now nothing. My question is twofold. I'm unable to find what this wire is to replace it [part of a harness or stand alone] and what fuses are linked to the selector that may have blown when the wire shorted out. The selector was working because I used 4L hours earlier to drive up onto my ramps to access the o2 sensor. Any help is appreciated.

post-57638-0-62855100-1507118750_thumb.jpg

post-57638-0-58194200-1507118770_thumb.jpg

Thanks That's interesting, but would make sense. The wire was so worn, I questioned how it was still working. So that creates another question then. Everything was working when the vehicle was driven onto the ramps. Work was only done at the driver's side o2 upstream sensor. Albeit, this took the entire day of PB Blaster and a lot of work getting the sensor out. Working in this area may have in inadvertently hit other components if the 4wd wires run in this area. If anyone can tell me where and what these wires look like I can check them, but from what I see everything else in this area is intact.