8/9 Speed Transmission Time Line

Alright, I am trying to figure this out but seems there is different information out there. Someone around here must know something. I saw a report or rumor that Ford was making the 9 speed an 8 speed. Does anyone know the truth behind that? I also read that small cars should be getting this first. Wondering what that means, especially since the Fiesta may be axed here. If anybody can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. I am being asked by some folks who are looking at buying small/medium size car within the next 6 months and I have no clue.

One thing is for sure, Lincoln desperately needs this transmission. There are not a whole lot of luxury makes rocking a 6 speed these days

• Like 1

Alright, I am trying to figure this out but seems there is different information out there. Someone around here must know something. I saw a report or rumor that Ford was making the 9 speed an 8 speed. Does anyone know the truth behind that? I also read that small cars should be getting this first. Wondering what that means, especially since the Fiesta may be axed here. If anybody can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. I am being asked by some folks who are looking at buying small/medium size car within the next 6 months and I have no clue.

One thing is for sure, Lincoln desperately needs this transmission. There are not a whole lot of luxury makes rocking a 6 speed these days

I can't comment on the 8 vs. 9 speed part, but it sounds as if it'll go in a lot of different vehicles starting for the 2019 model year. Likely Focus (redesign), Edge, MKC, MKX (refresh) to name a few, and I'm sure it'll spread across the rest of the lineup too.

The rumor was that Ford was having issues getting the 9 speeds to work well, especially with the Ecoboost engines. Something wasn't up to par. Ford figured out by dropping a gear things worked better. But outside of rumors, that's all we've heard.

What's interesting is GM has released a few models with the same 9 speed. Some of the reviewers have been commenting on odd shifts. We're wondering if the 2 are related. GM may have been having issues as well, but decided to just release them anyway. Ford may have decided its not worth the chance.

What's interesting is GM has released a few models with the same 9 speed. Some of the reviewers have been commenting on odd shifts. We're wondering if the 2 are related. GM may have been having issues as well, but decided to just release them anyway. Ford may have decided its not worth the chance.

The ZF 9 speed has also had shifting issues. Wonder if there is some weird inherent design flaw with a 9 speed.... Honda's 10 speed had been getting great reviews in their vehicles while the ZF 9 speed is a disaster.

Ford's new FWD will probably first show up on the 2019 Edge/MKX and Continental then spread across the line as vehicles are updated maybe it will show up on the new Transit Connect as well, I don't see them spending money on new certifications on vehicles that will be replaced in less than 18 months. (Focus, Escape, Fusion, MKZ, MKC) Ford could also be giving Lincoln's the 9 Speed version and Ford's the 8 speed.

• Like 1

If what I was told by a Lincoln rep holds true, mid sized CUVs, 2.0 Fusions and MKZs first. High HP AWD vehicles (2.7, 3.0 & 3.5 twin turbos) later. That may have changed by now. As of a year ago, the 9 speed was not up to the torque of high output engines with AWD.

• Like 1

If what I was told by a Lincoln rep holds true, mid sized CUVs, 2.0 Fusions and MKZs first. High HP AWD vehicles (2.7, 3.0 & 3.5 twin turbos) later. That may have changed by now. As of a year ago, the 9 speed was not up to the torque of high output engines with AWD.

that may have been where that rumor that they dropped a gear and made it an 8 speed came from.

I'm excited to get my foot into one of these, I play alot with my accelerator cause I'm an aggressive driver, so loving to know how I'll confuse these...I can just imagine those numbers flying up and down as i play with the accelerator. Honestly at 9/10 speeds I can only imagine how many time is "wasted" in just shifting...I did have a friends Cherokee with the 8-9 speed and it couldn't keep up, mosts of the time it was hunting...and it wasn't even realiable, after 3 months they had to replace the transmission (I dont its my fault), but it was those early units that has been giving Chrysler a headache.

• Like 1

I would have guessed a Lincoln model first, but you might be right.

MKX and MKC are both getting refreshes for 2019 as well.

I'm excited to get my foot into one of these, I play alot with my accelerator cause I'm an aggressive driver, so loving to know how I'll confuse these...I can just imagine those numbers flying up and down as i play with the accelerator. Honestly at 9/10 speeds I can only imagine how many time is "wasted" in just shifting...I did have a friends Cherokee with the 8-9 speed and it couldn't keep up, mosts of the time it was hunting...and it wasn't even realiable, after 3 months they had to replace the transmission (I dont its my fault), but it was those early units that has been giving Chrysler a headache.

That inner Miami driver coming out eh?

• Like 1

Yeah, but slowly more Miami is moving up to Orlando, so I've had to retrain myself in the art form of road rage again :(

I drive to Fort Lauderdale to north Miami and back every day for work, and it's ridiculous. If people would just get over if they're going slow/not clog up the left lanes, and figure out how to merge (not do the "Miami merge" where they have to go as far as they can and dart over at the last second, causing people to slam on the brakes), there really would be no traffic. But there's too many idiots out there......I yell at them quite a bit when I'm by myself lol.

• Like 1

I drive to Fort Lauderdale to north Miami and back every day for work, and it's ridiculous. If people would just get over if they're going slow/not clog up the left lanes, and figure out how to merge (not do the "Miami merge" where they have to go as far as they can and dart over at the last second, causing people to slam on the brakes), there really would be no traffic. But there's too many idiots out there......I yell at them quite a bit when I'm by myself lol.

Still not as bad as Ohio Drivers. They like to slam on the brakes at the end of the ramp when merging.

• Like 1

Still not as bad as Ohio Drivers. They like to slam on the brakes at the end of the ramp when merging.

That's what I'm talking about.

---

Oh, and forget about leaving a reasonable distance between you and the car in front of you......someone will jump in there if you do that.

Edited by rmc523

The same thing happens in the Northeast too...then again I'll assume that is where these people got these terrible habits.

For the life of me I can't figure out why people want to do the speed limit in the left hand lane....