2019 Ford Ranger Interior, Engine: Spied

I'm thinking this is a Global body on a NA frame.

Look at the rail ends with visible bolts in the lower fascia. I don't see anything that obviously ugly and out of place making it to production.

Is there going to be an "NA Frame"? It doesn't sound like the structure is going to be any different than the ROW.

Is there going to be an "NA Frame"? It doesn't sound like the structure is going to be any different than the ROW.

"Platform" doesn't mean identical frame rails and frontal crash zones.

Either way, what i see in the pic, the frame and front end are from different units.

Again, my source who was at the Ford Dealer meeting this summer said that the pictures they showed of the US spec 2019 Ranger had different headlights, grille and front bumper fascia. The rear has different taillights and tailgate. The truck was very much like the global T6 but car experts could easily tell the differences.

Which is pretty much what these prototypes look like. The Belt line looks identical to current Ranger, but the front and rear ends are different...the Headlight design is much different...the have larger lens on them, but the camo is taped up to make them look similar to the current truck. The projectors are different also

I'm wondering if they just have this grill/bumper tacked on so you can't see the real styling on it..much like the Expedition...AFAICR, they never showed off the grill on it till it was shown off at the auto show.

See attached:

post-11015-0-57556100-1506701009_thumb.png

Which is pretty much what these prototypes look like. The Belt line looks identical to current Ranger, but the front and rear ends are different...the Headlight design is much different...the have larger lens on them, but the camo is taped up to make them look similar to the current truck. The projectors are different also

I'm wondering if they just have this grill/bumper tacked on so you can't see the real styling on it..much like the Expedition...AFAICR, they never showed off the grill on it till it was shown off at the auto show.

See attached:

Ranger.png

Per my source...

The entire front clip treatment is different, as are the taillights and tailgate treatment.

Per my source...

The entire front clip treatment is different, as are the taillights and tailgate treatment.

Which you can see here:

post-11015-0-86349100-1506702476_thumb.png

vs

2015-ford-ranger-concept.jpg

More photos

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1110961_2019-ford-ranger-spy-shots-and-video#image=100624807

I'm thinking we'll see something along the lines of the Super Duty/F-150 lights with the light bar in it on the Ranger.

I will wait until i can really see the dam thing and sit in one...off hand i dont like the cheapo plastic lookin interior and i cant see any current taco owner rushin down to ford to buy an trade...but until i see the real deal its about useless to even guess what we end up with

One of the reader comments: "...looks like the Toyota Tacoma has nothing to worry about..."

Let's hope this is not the case. Ford has the engine line up to crush the Tacoma, hope they get it right; awesome truck performance, cool colors etc. Ford needs to hit this out of the park after being so late to the party. Base hit simply not good enough.

One of the reader comments: "...looks like the Toyota Tacoma has nothing to worry about..."

Let's hope this is not the case. Ford has the engine line up to crush the Tacoma, hope they get it right; awesome truck performance, cool colors etc. Ford needs to hit this out of the park after being so late to the party. Base hit simply not good enough.

There's nothing that special about the Tacoma. The "redesigned" model wasn't even new.

While there's nothing special about it, the Tacoma does have a very good reputation of being a dependable utilitarian truck that is hard to kill.

That said it's a bit unnerving to me that Ford's sales projection for the Ranger is around 125k

You have to balance that projection against product mix that will be mostly crew cabs and a few super cabs,

Ford is going for higher entry price and more like Explorer Sport Trac with Bronco becoming the Qasi BOF Explorer.

I'd be more comfortable if MAP was turned into a SUV and mid sized truck plant, Ranger, Bronco, Expedition, Navigator

and KTP truck built as many SDs as possible.... maybe a new Excursion with 6.7 Diesel as the Apex Lifestyle SUV?

Edited by jpd80

You have to balance that projection against product mix that will be mostly crew cabs and a few super cabs,

Ford is going for higher entry price and more like Explorer Sport Trac with Bronco becoming the Qasi BOF Explorer.

I'd be more comfortable if MAP was turned into a SUV and mid sized truck plant, Ranger, Bronco, Expedition, Navigator

and KTP truck built as many SDs as possible.... maybe a new Excursion with 6.7 Diesel as the Apex Lifestyle SUV?

Maybe next-gen with Ranger/Bronco becoming aluminum?

The Super Duties don't appear to be capacity-constrained, so I'm not sure why you'd move anything out of KTP.

The Super Duties don't appear to be capacity-constrained, so I'm not sure why you'd move anything out of KTP.

That's because there are two body shops at present, the old steel body shop is closing and the new SUVs

will be built over with the SDs in the new body shop. At that point, Ford will have to be careful with product mix.

( currently SDs are being produced at around 30K/mth due to exclusive access of new body shop while

around 8K of Expedition and navigator are produced over in the steel body shop ... see what I mean?)

Lately, the big increase in F Series sales has been mostly because of the new SDs, if the Expedition and Navigator

are both hits, Ford will be limited as to how many it can build without impinging on SD production.

If Ford is happy to prioritize truck sales ahead of increased full sized utility sales, then no changes need be made.

If Ford was looking to grow capacity for both, then moving the Utilities elsewhere would free up more production

space and help utilization at MAP.

Edited by jpd80

The Sport Trac sold like shit due to the price IMHO

Or was it insufficient pricing space?

the increased price of today's F150 has opened up a slot for a new age "Sport Trac". A 2007 XLT was

around $24K-$27K, a price like that today would be right in the ball park with comparable Tacoma.

Edited by jpd80

Or was it insufficient pricing space?

the increased price of today's F150 has opened up a slot for a new age "Sport Trac". A 2007 XLT was

around $24K-$27K, a price like that today would be right in the ball park with comparable Tacoma.

Or was it lack of advertising? How many times did anyone ever see a TV ad for the gen 2 Sport Trac? It was a big fat zero for me. How can you expect to sell something if no one knows it even exists?

Or was it lack of advertising? How many times did anyone ever see a TV ad for the gen 2 Sport Trac? It was a big fat zero for me. How can you expect to sell something if no one knows it even exists?

The answer is probably all of the above, Ford clearly was not prepared to leak too many F150 sales to Sport Trac

but I wonder how much that cost Ford, the two vehicles were different enough to attract buyers for different reasons.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1