'18 F150 First Drive

Actually; you were right the first time too. Ford was a little nervous when they introduced the 97's and sold the square trucks right along with them as well.

Edit to add...1997 F-150's were released starting in 1/96 as a 97 model, but the "classic" 1996 was built and sold along side until late 1996.

Nervousness had nothing to do with it. At the time, Ford had three truck plants. Norfolk, Ontario and Kansas City. You can't change all of them at the same time. Not enough resources.

• Like 1

Is this it?

2018-ford-f-150-4-1.jpg

Its hard to tell in that photo but the Center part of the Hood has a black decal on it. It looks great in person. The 2018's are all over Detroit now sitting in lots waiting to be shipped, not sure the okay to ship has been given or if there is an issue that will need to be fixed on all these units.

Thanks. It's hard to even tell it's blue in that picture with the lighting.

EDIT: Upon reading the article, that's a black interior.

That photo is a pretty good representation of the blue interior. My dealer had a pre production Limited in their showroom and from a distance, the interior does appear black. In the light, it's easy to tell it's very dark blue.

Nervousness had nothing to do with it. At the time, Ford had three truck plants. Norfolk, Ontario and Kansas City. You can't change all of them at the same time. Not enough resources.

Sounds like the same deal as the '14/'15 changeover, where KCAP kept making '14s while DTP got its bulldozer overhaul.

I thought I remembered reading about Ford being concerned that the 97 was such a radical design change. Maybe I was wrong.

The "ovoid" Taurus and more rounded F-150 debuted for 1996. What I remember reading was that Ford was confident that the Taurus would be a hit, while it was nervous that the new F-150 would be too radical for the intended audience.

The exact opposite is what really happened.

Edited by grbeck

The "ovoid" Taurus and more rounded F-150 debuted for 1996. What I remember reading was that Ford was confident that the Taurus would be a hit, while it was nervous that the new F-150 would be too radical for the intended audience.

The exact opposite is what really happened.

Well depends on who you ask...the next gen (2004) went back to a "harder" look vs being rounded out.

I used to love Popular Mechanics back in the day...check out the camo on this F-150..Ford was trolling the silverado before it was called that with is fake square wheel openings!

https://books.google.com/books?id=POUDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA114&dq=popular+mechanics+spy+ford#v=onepage&q=popular%20mechanics%20spy%20ford&f=false

That photo is a pretty good representation of the blue interior. My dealer had a pre production Limited in their showroom and from a distance, the interior does appear black. In the light, it's easy to tell it's very dark blue.

Here's a short video showing the blue interior on the Limited.