2018 Expedition "Build It" site up and running

20si06

A jump for sure, but I would expect it to be a substantially better vehicle. One that should hold its value better as well. Is it worth it, I suppose that's debatable. My Raptor jumped $10k over my last one, so I get where you are coming from. However, it is a better vehicle in every way (except the exhaust sound, I'm still trying to find a solution to that), and it now has more amenities as well. I suspect the price increase also helped hold up the trade value of my old Raptor, so that was an added bonus.

There may be a trend emerging for Ford on all of their top of the line vehicles. $10k seems to be the magic increase they seem to be getting, as the Raptors, the Platinums, and it was mentioned in another thread, the topped out 2018 Mustangs.

• Like 1

The question should be whether the new vehicle is price competitive with the competition. In most cases the old vehicles were well behind the others on features and styling so they're just catching up.

You can't overcharge the market price by $10K on a volume vehicle and get away with it for long.

Compared to atleast the gms, the pricing is right in line. Gms recently have always upcharges their suvs yet ppl buy them. The sequoia was very over priced when it was initially released, but now its rightly aligned with the others, mainly to being so stagnant. You rele cant get any loaded fs suv for less than 55k without incentives. These are cash cows and these companies know we consumers are gonna buy em regardless. I think most ppl who are sticker shocked are those who own a 15 - 17 expy but forgot that the msrp on their trucks were around 60k. That was hugely overpriced for that vehicle honestly. If you eant a fs suv with most newer features but dont wanna pay the 60k walk in fee, the armada titaniums start at 59k i believe lol

I see why Ford is still making these, it's not hard to get one over $70K. They must be making a killing on these. If they came out with a Raptorized version of it, I would seriously consider replacing my Raptor with one.

We can only hope. The FX4 package is probably as close as it's going to get.

• Like 1

I see why Ford is still making these, it's not hard to get one over $70K. They must be making a killing on these. If they came out with a Raptorized version of it, I would seriously consider replacing my Raptor with one.

Get over $70K? The Platinum starts above $71K. That money will buy a loaded Continental Reserve.

Its possible, but only if sales increase enough to dignify such development i would think. Regardless how much they have in common, all the tuning required to turn a 17 foot 8 pax aluminum beefed up minvan to a 100+ mph sand bomber without losing that minivan appeal would cost millions...that may not pay off in the long run

True, but those parts were specifically made for the f150 chassis, not for an suv chassis. Ford was able to play with and perfect all the parts and tuning with the previous raptor, but for the most part, a raptor owner isnt looking for their pickup to double as a limo liner if needed. That its able to do it is mainly a product of hard work and money. Though the parts can bolt right in, ppl are already complainin about the price increase, it would be a hard sale to ask ppl to add another 5 to 10k for a hard edged family vehicle. Hey, i could b wrong, ford is one of the few brands that takes its customer base seriously.

It doesn't have to win Baja. The Raptor parts should bolt right in with a few modifications for the sheet metal and rear suspension.

Though some parts would bolt on, I think the main challenge would be the rear suspension and accommodating the clearances needed for it. Obviously they would also need to stamp or mold new fenders for it. I don't think they would want to use the current Raptors fenders as I'm not sure the lines would blend well.

Who knows though. Nobody anticipated the first Raptor either.

Compared to atleast the gms, the pricing is right in line. Gms recently have always upcharges their suvs yet ppl buy them. The sequoia was very over priced when it was initially released, but now its rightly aligned with the others, mainly to being so stagnant. You rele cant get any loaded fs suv for less than 55k without incentives. These are cash cows and these companies know we consumers are gonna buy em regardless. I think most ppl who are sticker shocked are those who own a 15 - 17 expy but forgot that the msrp on their trucks were around 60k. That was hugely overpriced for that vehicle honestly. If you eant a fs suv with most newer features but dont wanna pay the 60k walk in fee, the armada titaniums start at 59k i believe lol

Compared to the GM's, they have more features, but are also well in excess pricewise. You can also get ~$7k in incentives on the GM before negotiating with the dealers. That is not really that competitive for me. I have been waiting a year for the Expedition/Navigator release and the big jump in pricing is really offputting. The Expedition MAX Platinum starts at $75k. The Suburban Premier starts at $66k. You can find the Cadillac Escalade ESV Premium Luxury for $75k.

Edited by Nofox

For fully loaded suvs here is what your looking at as far as prices go. To get prices and make them fair, i went to the highest trim possible, extra cost paint and interior colors were slected, all are 4/awd and included all options available that pertains to functionality of the vehicle(no extra accessories):

Chevy suburban premier: $84k

Chevy tahoe premier: $81k

Dodge durango srt: 70k

Ford expedition platinum: 82k

Ford expedition max platinum: 85k

Nissan Armada platinum: 65k

Toyota sequoia platinum: 68k

Interesting notes-each manufacturer has a specific way of ordering. Gm is set up al la carte, each option can be selected separate from another. Ford is set up in packages, they bundle their similar options together, easier selection but less customization. Nissan and toyotas highest trim is fully loaded so not much is optional. The durango price is a guesstimate. also, the accessories are extensive for all but the ford(4 obvious reasons). Though it seems the domestics are grossly op, they do offer more features and tech.

I am not sure what options were selected, but I compared the vehicles similarly equipped with the features that I am looking for and the expedition Max comes out considerably more on MSRP. I can also get a fully optioned suburban premier 2WD for $65k right now (in white/tan) and unfortunately it does not appear that an expedition will be avialable within $5-10k. I have waited for the Expedition release for a year now and am just disappointed that Ford is not pricing competitvely in this market. It is also really close to Navigator/Escalade territory which is another consideration for me. I was really expecting to get either the Expy or Navi, but I really thought they would still be the value proposition relative to the GM's.

Edited by Nofox

As stated before, the prices i quoted were 4x4s with all functional and comparable features added as well as comparable cosmetic add ons as well. The price you quoted for the sub is the 4x2 premier starting price. The base premier is also optioned like a limited model for the expy as well. Power running boards, 22in wheels, adaptive cc, moonroof, power folding seats are all optional on the premier but std on the platinum. Adding those features balloons the price. Also, some features cost more in different styles on the sub as well. Also, the expy only has 5 available options for the plat trim, how you jumped the priced over 85k is odd when the base price for the 4x4 is 78k. They werent priced by preference, but i chose the most expensive option pkg to make it fair if the other vehicles didnt give you that choice youd be forced to get the most expensive one. If i did comparable option pkgs(which i can price later), the gm amd ford would be vastly cheaper.

The 16 Platinum I had stickered at $65,485.00. That was for regular length 4x2 with DVD entertainment and 2nd row individual seats. The 18 Platinum starts at $72,710 before adding anything When you click to build it, the price changes to $73,905.By the time I add DVD and 2nd row seats, I would be more than $11K above 2016.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess its up to the consumer to ask themselves if a twin panel moonroof, adaptive cc, collision mitigation w/ automatic braking, full led headlights, 25+ hp/50+ lb tq, wi fi w/ stream capabilty, power releasing sec row seats, charging ports, noise cancellation, foot release power liftgate, etc is worth the extra 11k over the 17 my.

The xlt 202 pkg is probably the "value" truck for expy and offers everything everyone would need.

Its funny how everyone "notes" about the price of the platinum trim, when its meant to be a luxury alternative, the avg mans navigator. I understand the sticker shock esp as compared to the current model, yet i also understand that outside the suspension, nothing on this truck was left alone and even more was added, so its going to be more expensive. The truck i ordered no matter what brand i get with the same options will be nomore than 2k apart, though those other brands dont even offer some of the features std let alone optional.

• Like 1

I guess its up to the consumer to ask themselves if a twin panel moonroof, adaptive cc, collision mitigation w/ automatic braking, full led headlights, 25+ hp/50+ lb tq, wi fi w/ stream capabilty, power releasing sec row seats, charging ports, noise cancellation, foot release power liftgate, etc is worth the extra 11k over the 17 my.

The xlt 202 pkg is probably the "value" truck for expy and offers everything everyone would need.

Its funny how everyone "notes" about the price of the platinum trim, when its meant to be a luxury alternative, the avg mans navigator. I understand the sticker shock esp as compared to the current model, yet i also understand that outside the suspension, nothing on this truck was left alone and even more was added, so its going to be more expensive. The truck i ordered no matter what brand i get with the same options will be nomore than 2k apart, though those other brands dont even offer some of the features std let alone optional.

The thing with the Platinum now is it's pretty much take it or leave it. The new features are nice, but not every customer that would select a Platinum wants all of those features. I would want the twin panel roof and the nice interior, but might pass on the adaptive cruise. I've had my Explorer for a year and have never used the cruise. I've used the lane keeping feature twice and have mixed feelings about that.

• 5 weeks later...