Expy Ordered

Dlcorbett

I'm so intrigued/excited over this new generation Expedition, except for the price, of course. But I'm concerned about jumping-in and buying an early production vehicle. Most of my previous buying experience was with E150 Club Wagons, and it seems they never changed.

Are some folks holding off early buying because of this?

Also, can someone offer a suggestion of how much I might hope to get for a trade-in value for a...

Ford 2015 Expedition XLT EL 4x4 (K1J)
XLT 7-Passenger
Blue Jeans Metallic
Ebony eather Bucket Seats
5,000 Miles
- 202A Equipment Group
- - Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Pkg
- - Remote Start
- - Climate Controlled Seats
- - Dual Zone Air Aux Clm Ctrl
- - 3rd Row Powerfold Seat
- 2nd Row Bucket Seats
- Power Moonroof
- All Weather/Carpet Floor Mats
- Blind Spot Info System
- HD AM/FM Sony Single CD
- Navigation System
- 20" Bright Machined Aluminum Wheels

My best choice for a dealer, and where I purchased my current 2015 Expedition, is 40 miles away and I haven't had a chance to stop buy to get an estimate.

Thanks,

Dennis

Edited by dennis48755

Check kbb.com or nada.com for trade-in prices but the best way is to see what they're selling for in your area and take a few thousand off the retail price.

I've bought several first year vehicles. My experience is there will be some teething problems but most will be fixed with a dealer visit or two. The other problems won't necessarily be limited to first year production so it won't matter when you buy (Adaptive steering in the Edge/MKX e.g. or cooled seats in all the new vehicles). To me it's always been worth having the vehicle earlier as opposed to waiting a year. But that's just my personal experience/opinion.

The new ones starting with the 2015 F150 don't get much cooling to the seat backs. It's a new design. Ford put out a TSB with new parts but most report very little change. One of the F150 owners actually 3d printed a new part which helped but it sounds like Ford has to go back and redesign it to get it to work properly. Your expy may have the older system that worked great - we had it on our 2003 Aviator.

• Like 1

That depends entirely on how many other vehicles are on order from that dealer and the priority of the other orders.

It will take 2-6 weeks after job 1 for ok to buy. They have to build error free vehicles for 5 days consecutively. If they screw up after 4.9 days they have to start over.

If your order is the lowest priority at that dealer I would expect it to be built within a week or two after ok to buy. There really is no way to predict it.

Having a priority of 10 would be much better and would only put your order behind other priority 10s from the same dealer with an earlier order date.

Retail orders won't schedule until after the "Ok to Buy" status is reached but they won't be in production as quick as a week or two. Once scheduled, it'll still be 3-4 weeks before the vehicle is in production and then the transit time for delivery to the dealership. The traditional 4-6 weeks "Order to Delivery" schedule would be a good estimate once the order is scheduled.

Retail orders won't schedule until after the "Ok to Buy" status is reached but they won't be in production as quick as a week or two. Once scheduled, it'll still be 3-4 weeks before the vehicle is in production and then the transit time for delivery to the dealership. The traditional 4-6 weeks "Order to Delivery" schedule would be a good estimate once the order is scheduled.

I thought they would have them scheduled and ready to build more quickly than that, but I guess that's difficult to do when you don't know how long it will take to get to ok to buy. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I hope the 2018's have this sorted out. This feature is on our list of must haves and in the South it's the only way to mitigate swamp a$$.

I would say from the waist down on the seat back it's OK and the seat base works fine so your swamp ass will be covered?

It's the upper back area that I would like to see some improvement.

I called a dealersgip near my parents house some time ago aski g if any trainers were coming back, they said they were scheduled for sept but call back closer to sept for the actual date. Call back today hoping it would come around labor day wknd or after, they tell me they came already. Guess ill be waiting to take a look at it now. I guess Ill have to check out some pa or nj dealers next. I wish there was a damn schedule online.

Notice that it says the new seats are "Heated/Ventilated" seats and not "Heated/Cooled" seats like before. If you look at the list of changes on the first page of the 2018 Expedition order guide it says New "Ventilated Front Seats (replaced Cooled Front Seats)." I am thinking maybe this is Ford's way of not getting expectations too high on the cooling effectiveness of these seats.

Notice that it says the new seats are "Heated/Ventilated" seats and not "Heated/Cooled" seats like before. If you look at the list of changes on the first page of the 2018 Expedition order guide it says New "Ventilated Front Seats (replaced Cooled Front Seats)." I am thinking maybe this is Ford's way of not getting expectations too high on the cooling effectiveness of these seats.

This also makes it sound like they don't plan on doing anything about it either. This is a fairly old issue. I think it was on an F-150 forum that there are about 300 pages of people complaining about this. Someone managed to come up with a kit to improve the situation.

Hi,

On August 31st, I ordered a 2018 Expedition Max 4x4 Limited that I described in post #28.

The used car manager of my dealer just called me and has a buyer for my trade-in (described in post #52). He would like me to trade-in the vehicle ASAP, for a descent (not great) price. When I mentioned it is my only vehicle, he said he would provide me with something to drive until my 2018 arrives. The new car manager also said he would provide something for me to drive.

I'm quite nervous/concerned about doing this, it makes me feel vulnerable to something going wrong.

Any thoughts when I might hope to see the 2018?

If it was you, would you do this early trade-in?

What could go wrong?

Thanks for your feedback,

Dennis

There are a lot of things that could go wrong.

First and foremost, I would ensure insurance coverage on the vehicle they give you to drive. Who is responsible for it? Also, it would have to be at least comparable to the vehicle I am trading in.

If you've got a CarMax nearby, swing by and compare their outright purchase price to that of the trade in value they are giving you.

Good luck!

Thanks guys for your replies,

For the little that I drive (6000 miles on my 2015 trade-in) I'm not to picky with what I drive for three months, it will just make me more anxious for the 2018. And I figure my insurance company will cover it just like they do for a loaner.

I am going to try to squeeze a little more money when I call them back tomorrow especially since this is X-Plan and the trade-in is the only thing that affects my bottom line.

PS; the Priority Code on my Order Summary is 10.

Dennis