JDP '17 Initial Quality Study

Kia really stands out..its amazing what that company has done in the last 5 years..when people talk luxury i think kia is 6th most recognized luxury brand...a frickin kia....luv kia or hate em what they have done us remarkable

on a super positive note mustang is tops in midsize sporty car...beyond that we can argue over jd power rankings and if they matter..

Their biggest issue is long term reliability. Granted, they have improved the past couple of years with a decent product, but they still have some way to go. Ironically a friend on Facebook laughed at this since they were burned by 2 Kia's, or as he said it 'The people gave them good rankings only because their credit was probably so bad, they are thankful they were able to buy anything new"...

• Like 4

Kia really stands out..its amazing what that company has done in the last 5 years..when people talk luxury i think kia is 6th most recognized luxury brand...a frickin kia....luv kia or hate em what they have done us remarkable

on a super positive note mustang is tops in midsize sporty car...beyond that we can argue over jd power rankings and if they matter..

Unfortunately, Kia luxury sells in Alfa Romeo numbers...

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/03/kia-k900-sales-figures-usa-canada.html

the F-150 seems pretty "blah" in this survey - beaten by Chevy, Dodge and the hideous Tundra!

Are F-150 owners lukewarm about their trucks after comparing to their buddy's Dodge Ram?

On the other hand, when a Chevy wins, and the GMC places last - that contradiction makes the whole exercise of ranking smell very bad.

Initial quality has a large dealer component here - the more diligent the dealer is pre-delivery the less problems the customer will encounter and vice versa.

I suspect Kia dealers are simply trying harder.

Keep in mind that the range here is .7 - 1.3 problems per vehicle which both round to 1 problem/1 dealer visit. Not a huge difference between first and last.

• Like 5

the F-150 seems pretty "blah" in this survey - beaten by Chevy, Dodge and the hideous Tundra!

Are F-150 owners lukewarm about their trucks after comparing to their buddy's Dodge Ram?

On the other hand, when a Chevy wins, and the GMC places last - that contradiction makes the whole exercise of ranking smell very bad.

Can it be that the F150 owner and the GMC owner have higher expectations and I are not willing to let things go as one of the other brands may be?

Initial quality has a large dealer component here - the more diligent the dealer is pre-delivery the less problems the customer will encounter and vice versa.

I suspect Kia dealers are simply trying harder.

Keep in mind that the range here is .7 - 1.3 problems per vehicle which both round to 1 problem/1 dealer visit. Not a huge difference between first and last.

Yes, IQS is basically a dealer after sales quality indication.

IQS is based on the number of "problems" customers encounter, not actual quality or defects. So a good dealer that spends 20 min going over every function and does 3 or 4 follow up calls will help improve the brand's IQS.

Basically, you want to make sure your customers are not in a whiny mood when they get that JDP email. The only way to avoid that is to make sure they are "coached" by the dealer.

I had a 2012 Fusion for 3 years. During that time there were two defects. The passenger upper grab handle came loose and one screw came out completely, which I fixed myself. The gas filler door lost the spring tension. This was replaced by the dealer during an oil change. In JD Power methodology this would have been two defects in the long term survey. However, in reality these were non events.

You notice that Ford moved way up in the ratings basically due to improvements with Sync, according to an Automotive News article on this survey. When they were near the bottom you would think the transmissions were falling out. Ford brand gets 3 dots in power train mechanical quality, yet Lincoln gets 5 dots. This could be due to Focus issues.

These surveys are interesting, but not really useful.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170621/OEM01/170629948/kia-tops-j-d-power-quality-rankings-amid-shake-up

Automotive News is subscription protected. However, it will let you in once a day.

Edited by RichardK
  • Like 1