Ford to shift Focus production to China in 2019

What Ford product has had a new top hat in the past 15 years every 5-6 years?

Been every 10 years or so if it stays on the same platform with some exceptions due to product realignment back about 5-7 years ago.

Mustang, Escape, and F-150 are it.

And let's not forget a new Focus or Fusion aren't due for another 2 years, so that makes 9 years for Focus and 8 for Fusion. Way too long without a new tophat considering these were near the top in their markets in sales volume at one time.

It's not as bad as it once was (as in cars were left on a vine and all resources went to trucks/SUVs). Fusion and Focus are still competitive due to CUV/car consolidation till the new ones are out in a year or so ( well, Fusion IMO atleast).

Yes, taken in isolation they aren't bad vehicles and are competitive. The Fusion is still one of the better looking midsized sedans. But by keeping the appearance the same for so long they're losing repeat customers who don't want to buy a new vehicle that's exactly the same as their old one.

Mustang, Escape, and F-150 are it.

Mustang 2005-2009-refresh (doors and roof where carry over)-2012 minor refresh-2015 New Tophat/IRS

Escape 2001-2006-2007: Refresh/new tophat (I know there was argument over if the green house actually changed) Kuga launched 2008 and merged with the Escape in 2012-new platform/platform consolation

Could you include Explorer in that, BOF to BOF top hat and then change - BOF to Unitary?

Hm. Explorer would've been 2002, 2007 (it was considered "all new" though most of the panels were carryover), and 2011, but since then nothing all new.

The numbers I was counting are base on all new, not including refreshes.

Edited by rmc523

Yes, taken in isolation they aren't bad vehicles and are competitive. The Fusion is still one of the better looking midsized sedans. But by keeping the appearance the same for so long they're losing repeat customers who don't want to buy a new vehicle that's exactly the same as their old one.

Exactly the reason I never bought another Expedition after our 2007.

I loved my 2012 Titanium Focus hatch. Never a problem with 60k miles before I traded it in on my F150. Wish I had more room for 4 cars because I wanted to keep it and get the truck, but driveway and garage aren't accommodating to 4 cars. Guess my Focus was an anomaly with 0 issues . .