APIM dead, SYNC screen black, Goodbye Ford

Fords Is Funner

So the Sync screen on our 2012 Edge went black a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the dealer, they said they'd try a master reboot. That didn't work so they hooked it up to diagnostics and gave me the bad news that it'll need a new APIM. Fortunately Ford extended the warranty on the APIMs to 5 years because they have defects that cause them to die an early death. Unfortunately the 5 year warranty for ours ran out on Feb 21, 2017. It had shown some signs of some type of problem before then (black screen, reinitializing messages) but it would always come back to life. But not this time. Our Edge had only 48,280 miles on it when we took it in and has only slightly more than that now. We've owned it a little over 2 years.

The assistant service manager recommended I call Ford to see if they'd make an exception and take care of this for us or at least participate in the cost. I did and they gave me a case number. The lady told me to check with the dealer in a couple of days because they don't always check for new cases and they don't always contact the customers about them. So I did. I visited with the assistant service mgr again in person, he looked it up and said yep it's in there and now we just need to wait for someone to respond to it and he'd let me know. So I waited a week and hadn't heard from him so I stopped by in person again because he was never available when I'd call and he wouldn't return my messages either. He looked it up and said there still wasn't any update on the case so he was going to put in a request and for me to check back with him the next day (Saturday) or on Monday. Well I wasn't able to do that until yesterday (Tuesday) and his office was dark. One of the service dept clerks told me he was on vacation. So I asked for his boss, the service dept manager and luckily he was in his office.

The service dept manager looked into the case and told me that Ford shouldn't have told me to check with the dealer because they know they are the ones that would need to authorize an exception to repair the APIM under warranty. The dealerships get an allowance amount from Ford to help out with customer repairs but the dealer has to follow the rules set by Ford and Ford's rules state that Ford isn't going to authorize that allowance money to be used for a warranty repair that's out of warranty. So he added his comments to the case and told me to call Ford back and see if they would do anything for me. He said even if they'd cover $10 of it then he'd be able to process it as a warranty job and I'd get a break on the cost. So today I called Ford back and the woman I spoke with told me Ford wasn't going to authorize anything for it because it was outside of the 5 year warranty.

So after all the run-around I find out that I'm going to have to pay full price for this repair on a vehicle that has only a little over 48,000 miles on it to fix a part with known issues and in fact issues that are so bad that Ford had to extend the warranty on the part or risk losing a bunch of customers. It's going to cost about $860. I'm going to get it repaired so that I can sell this POS and then never buy another Ford again. And I told the Ford customer support lady that I was in the market for a truck but now I'll go with some other brand and I'll be posting plenty of negative comments about Fords online and steering as many people as I can away from them both online and in person.

Ford has lost me as a customer and their decision to not help is going to end up costing them a lot more than the profit they'll make off of this one repair. This car is some kind of lemon. The power brake booster went out on it and we got that repaired last year for free because Ford had to extend the warranty on that part too. And the collision warning keeps giving false readings of the sensor being blocked so then we have no collision warning and no adaptive cruise control. But there's no extended warranty coverage for that POS part. It's a pain in the butt to try to navigate through that stupid little menu as you're driving down the road to switch to regular cruise control after the adaptive cruise shuts itself off. Even the assistant service manager at the Ford dealer said he doesn't know why they didn't just put a switch on steering wheel to be able to easily change from regular to adaptive cruise or why the vehicle doesn't just automatically switch from adaptive to regular cruise when that happens. These are not inexpensive little repairs and all of this tells me that Ford still isn't close to the quality they should be. So goodbye Ford, I won't ever buy another Ford, new or used.

....So goodbye Ford, I won't ever buy another Ford, new or used.

Here is the deal, if you scream and yell and tell them their product is junk and swear to heaven you will never buy their product ever again, what incentive do they have to try and satisfy you....they'll just cut you loose and wave goodbye as you storm off to the Mitsubishi dealer...to me, this sounds like a Paul Harvey news report....

...and now....the rest of the story.

Edited by twintornados

Here is the deal, if you scream and yell and tell them their product is junk and swear to heaven you will never buy their product ever again, what incentive do they have to try and satisfy you....they'll just cut you loose and wave goodbye as you storm off to the Mitsubishi dealer...to me, this sounds like a Paul Harvey news report....

...and now....the rest of the story.

Sounds like Ford blew him off first.

It never ceases to amaze me how companies, especially ones in such a competitive environment, will save a penny for today's stock price boost to cost them a few dollars later on. What would be the cost to Ford, the actual net profit loss, to them to cover stuff like this where clearly their product is at fault well within when it could reasonably be expected to last? Now compare that to the lost sales net profit losses from just not the person they're directly F'ing over, but all the lifetime negative press passed on to who knows how many other people. They make how many thousands on a new car purchase? So they'll jeopardize those to save how much here, a short few hundred $ (between what it actually costs them for the part and then the stealership rate)? Talk about short sighted...

With all due respect, there is no guarantee a vehicle will operate for five years without cost of repair. Electronic and mechanical components will fail at some point in time, it is just a matter of when. Ford cannot guarantee the APIM forever and warranties will end.

And what is the OP going to do when he has a problem with the next manufacturer he goes with. Bad mouth them too? When will it end? When he runs out of manufactures will he be walking? Because every manufacturer has problems. He should have brought it in when he first started having trouble with it and it would have been fixed N/C. But he hesitated and then blames Ford....nice!

Or he should have bought an extended/CPO warranty when he bought it used. People think warranties are free - they're not. You pay for it regardless and if you choose not to buy the warranty then don't complain.

It's like buying a burger at Wendy's and saying I don't want fries, then going back after you get the burger and say I'd really like you to give me some fries for free.

• Like 1

I just love it when people join forums just to troll about their issues. I understand not be happy about it, but it is unrealistic to expect free repairs on five year old vehicles. Things break! Warranties expire! :doh: Go buy another vehicle from another manufacturer and good luck! :)

Edited by danglin
  • Like 1

Any suggestions on how long a company should be responsible?

The warranty period the company states when the vehicle was purchased, unless you buy an extended one.

Don't like the warranty? Pay up for an extended one or buy another product.

• Like 2

I understand the issue that it's a known problem and the warranty was extended. So it sucks that it failed outside that extension. However, just like any other insurance, choose not to buy coverage, you take the risk. For me, if I was asking assistance for a out of warranty repair, I would not waste it on a repair less than $500. I would save it for a biggie. If you want to save some money, buy an apim, install it yourself and pay the dealer to program it. Probably could get out for $300.

• Like 1