Focus/Fiesta Owners Sue for Faulty Transmissions

From owing a Focus with the DPS6 and researching why it misbehaves the way it does the conclusion appears to be Thermal. VW's dual dry clutch DQ250 is a mess as well.

If a owner who lives in the countryside, drives 99% highway/rural roads, flat geographical area, moderate climate conditions as far as temperatures, and does not have the need to drive in stop and go traffic, chances are this owner will not have the same negative symptoms.

Summer temps, city driving are some of the DPS6's enemies. And add 2 or 3 passengers and it really gets bad and hilly territory also is disagreeable to this transmission.

Luckily I was able to sell mine this spring before the warm weather arrives. The relief of knowing this transmission is gone from my driveway is huge. Having owned MK1, MK2 and this MK3 it's a shame as this model Focus IMO is the best Focus to date,

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

Luckily I was able to sell mine this spring before the warm weather arrives. The relief of knowing this transmission is gone from my driveway is huge. Having owned MK1, MK2 and this MK3 it's a shame as this model Focus IMO is the best Focus to date,

Fortunately, EU and ROW Focus now has the 1.5 EB and 6F Auto trans or the 6-speed manual,

if you haven't driven one in your area, you must try please, they are sensational.

Edited by jpd80

Fortunately, EU and ROW Focus now has the 1.5 EB and 6F Auto trans or the 6-speed manual,

if you haven't driven one in your area, you must try please, they are sensational.

Yes I have driven both the 1.5EB 6F35 and 1.0EB 6F15 transmission and liked them both. Was looking for a low mileage hatch but none to be found here, and to order the delivery time was over a 6 month wait. So I bought a low mileage 2012 Mondeo wagon to hold me over to see how the MK4 Focus turns out.

The blemish on the Focus in North America made by the dry dual clutch tranny hasn't done Focus sales any favors, and that is a damn shame.

Yes I have driven both the 1.5EB 6F35 and 1.0EB 6F15 transmission and liked them both. Was looking for a low mileage hatch but none to be found here, and to order the delivery time was over a 6 month wait. So I bought a low mileage 2012 Mondeo wagon to hold me over to see how the MK4 Focus turns out.

The blemish on the Focus in North America made by the dry dual clutch tranny hasn't done Focus sales any favors, and that is a damn shame.

It's kinda sad because sales are dropping off anyway, last month's 17,000 odd was pretty much level with the much newer Cruze sales.

So perhaps the Powershift problems have been delayed enough so that issues show up later, an inducement to move the car on?

I'm just disappointed that Nth America didn't stay in sync with power train upgrades done in ROW markets, that was Mulally's intent.

If a owner who lives in the countryside, drives 99% highway/rural roads, flat geographical area, moderate climate conditions as far as temperatures, and does not have the need to drive in stop and go traffic, chances are this owner will not have the same negative symptoms.

They will still get the TCM failures. Guy at work got bit by that last year. Left him stranded on the highway at 5am. 70k miles on his 2013.

They will still get the TCM failures. Guy at work got bit by that last year. Left him stranded on the highway at 5am. 70k miles on his 2013.

It can happen of course but most the tcm failures I have seen show symptoms before they crap completely out. One symptom is the starter not engaging when key is turned to start for a few seconds.

I'm trying to remember if we've had any repeat tcm failures after replacement. I don't know of any.

Edited by fordtech1

True story.. Three years ago we called our dealer to order a Focus or maybe a Fiesta. Our salesman asked us to come in. When we arrived, he had a Fusion ready for us to test drive. I was surprised since I was interested in a Focus. When we asked about the Focus he looked at us and said,"The Fusion is the only car I will sell you. You don't want the other two due to the chronic issues they have.'

As such, we ordered a '14 Fusion and sold our '11 Fusion.

True story.. Three years ago we called our dealer to order a Focus or maybe a Fiesta. Our salesman asked us to come in. When we arrived, he had a Fusion ready for us to test drive. I was surprised since I was interested in a Focus. When we asked about the Focus he looked at us and said,"The Fusion is the only car I will sell you. You don't want the other two due to the chronic issues they have.'

Your salesman sounds like my brother who is a sales consultant at a Ford dealership in Ottawa, Canada. He makes sure if a customer wants a Fiesta or Focus with the Powershift they know its reliability issues. He is very tired of complaining customers who did not take his advice seriously.

The Honda has been flawless.

Strangely I changed a few years back from a 6 month old 14 Civic to a 14 Focus DCT because the civic was such a pile. 7 warranty repairs in 6 months... point is EVERY company has bad products or vehicles.

The only thing that matters is long term containment of the issue. In this regard Ford has failed because the product is still for sale and even when reliable it's still an unenjoyable experience for a large number of buyers. Ford would be wise to dump the DCT for the 6F for the last couple years of the product cycle.

- Former DCT driver who thouroughly enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I've never had a 1991 Mustang

The only Mustangs I've owned are 1976, 1994, 1999, 2008 & 2010.

Anyway your comments against me are condescending and irrelavent. Just because I had an older car I drove for a short period of time does not disqualify me from discussion.

The fact is Focus transmissions are junk as evidenced by one that was in my household, one that was regrettably purchased by a close personal friend and a few that were used as company cars where I work which ultimately had to be switched out because they were too troublesome.

There is no excuse for Ford to put garbage out like this and burden customers with its woes. It has been an ultimate betrayal to customers.

I bought a new car a few months ago since I am in a much better position now and a Ford was not even considered.

So look your nose down me all you want for having an older car for a short period of time. It just makes you look basic and petty.

It wasn't condescending. If you are not actually purchasing new Fords then your opinion isn't nearly as relevant as others who are purchasing new Fords. Similar to the Panther mafia who were critical about what Ford built or didn't build yet they were only buying their CVs and GMs cheap and used which does nothing for Ford.

I agree that Ford has too many issues especially on new launches and the way they've handled the DSG is horrible. I owned a 2012 focus and had to get the TCM replaced. I also own a 2013 Fusion which has had many problems.

@akirby. Opinions matter. Regardless of who buys what and when. I have purchased 5 new Ford/Lincoln/Mercury products since 1999 and have not experienced an unusual amount of pocket expense with any of them. However...I can appreciate the fact that another person in this world may have an opinion that differs from yours. Get over yourself Mr new Ford buyer, those opinions from folks who purchase "USED" FORD, GM, NISSAN, HONDA, TOYOTA, CHRYSLER, HYUNDAI, ETC products still matter.

Edited by 02MustangGT

Have to agree with 02MustangGT up to an extent. My 97 F150 and 06 Mustang GT are both serviced by the local Ford dealership.

Most of the time it's ths "works package" since both have been reliable but I have purchased tires, an alternator, pcv and tube assembly, a key which needed to be programed, spark plugs touch up paint, etc.

Now this might not help corporate, but theFord dealer is thankful.

Besides when I / You are seen driving a Ford product and people ask how is it and I/ you answer been very reliable, it makes a difference.

My 97 has 234k miles and has been flawless, not once have I ever been stuck on the side of the road.Never even had to change a valve cover gasket on it and NO blown out spark plugs. 14 foot lbs torque. per the manual. ;)

Mustang has just over 84k and runs great.

Edited by Ron W.

All I'm saying is from a business standpoint the opinions of people who aren't buying your product is not nearly as relevant as the opinions of people who are buying or who are at least considering buying your product and especially the ones who have had problems.

And I wasn't bragging about buying new Fords. I was illustrating that I have been directly affected by Ford's recent product problems.

When we were picking up the wife's new '17 Escape last August one of the people in the service department commented that the next new car should be mine because the last three went to the wife. Now, they know me because I have my service performed there and the number of vehicles I've bought from them. When I said I was considering buying a new Focus before it went to Mexico they tried talking me out of it, until I said I was getting another manual.

Same with the salesperson when I decided to order one the following month. Tried talking me out of it. I think that car has really frustrated a lot of people.

• Like 1

Buying Corollas and Camrys led people to buy Tundra when they entered the truck market.

So sure. Ignore your entry vehicles and lose sales for the next 20 years.

Hmm. In almost 30 years, the Tundra (and its predecessor) has gone from "not a factor in the full-size truck market" to "still not a factor in the full-size truck market."

• Like 1

I can see someone in a sedan gravitating towards a crossover, or SUV, or minivan, but a Truck is a specific animal for the most part. Not saying it doesn't happen though.

The only thing that kept me from getting a truck all these years is the lack of a need for a full size truck. When I bought my Focus used in 2011 in hindsight I should have gotten a Ranger instead but I couldn't find a used one with the mileage on it I wanted and going from an Explorer sport I didn't want to give up the back seat. Sport Trac wasn't an option because I wasn't going to by anything with an automatic and my credit wasn't good enough to buy new.

Still would be really handy to have a truck for all of these landscaping projects I want to do around the house, but I still don't need a full size. God I wish the Ranger came 2 years ago.

I can see someone in a sedan gravitating towards a crossover, or SUV, or minivan, but a Truck is a specific animal for the most part. Not saying it doesn't happen though.

Pretty much. The Tundra, Ridgeline, and Nissan's also-ran Titan may be picking up a handful of conquest sales, but Ford's absolute dominance in that segment says that they can't be getting many--those three are down in that segment's rounding error category. I didn't check Honda's May sales figures, but in May alone, Ford sold nearly as many F-Series as Toyota has sold Tundras YTD, and the F-Series outdid all of Nissan's reported truck sales by about 10K units. (The Titan? Fuhgeddaboudit. In May, F-Series outdid Titan's YTD sales by more than 3 to 1.)

Unfort

Nope. A few powertrain engineers and management need to be let go too.

That is just gross negligence. I don't even own one of these vehicles and I want to be part of the lawsuit.

Unfortunately, class action law suits only line the pockets of attorneys. The customer or injured party usually gets a very small settlement, like some extra rebate on a new purchase.