How about a Falcon?

bikinchris

I woud like to see Ford make a lightweight car tat would compete on the ST level of the Continental Sports Car Challenge. The Miata, Porsche Cayman etc. would the the target. The 2.3L engine used in the Mustang would work great. I know it would likely be a "me too" car, but it would be a good car for young people.

The Falcon was a sporty car built before the Mustang was introduced and would be a good name for it.

Edited by bikinchris
  • Like 1

Didn't the Falcon and the Mustang share chassis and drivetrain? The Falcon had a smaller straight six (144cid) than the six in the Mustang tho (200cid). It was Robert McNamara's project at Ford before be became SecDef for JFK then LBJ. The '67 Falcon Futura Coupe was actually not a bad looking little car. (Yes, I can remember back that far.) It would be cool to see another Ford Falcon come off the line.

The original Falcon had a 144 and a 170. The early Mustangs had the 170 as standard but soon the 200 was standard. I know the Fairlane's 260 V8 was available in the Falcon by 1963, and of course the 289 was around by 1964.

The 1966 Falcon basically was a short wheelbase Fairlane, and the 1966 Fairlane and Falcon wagons had the same body. This is a great article on the Falcon platform, but I really don't know how much the 1960 Falcon and 1962 Fairlane really had in common, other than being unibody. I love these cars and I love how much Ford got off the 1960 Falcon and 1978 Fox platforms. (I admire the Chrysler K platform for the same reason.)

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-fords-falcon-platform-from-falcon-to-versailles-in-18-different-wheelbase-lengthtrack-width-variations/

I woud like to see Ford make a lightweight car tat would compete on the ST level of the Continental Sports Car Challenge. The Miata, Porsche Cayman etc. would the the target. The 2.3L engine used in the Mustang would work great. I know it would likely be a "me too" car, but it would be a good car for young people.

The Falcon was a sporty car built before the Mustang was introduced and would be a good name for it.

Any name ever used on Ford or Mercury would never fly on a Lincoln. Even sharing Ford platforms gets comments like "nice Ford" or "fancy Fusion".

Didn't the Falcon and the Mustang share chassis and drivetrain? The Falcon had a smaller straight six (144cid) than the six in the Mustang tho (200cid). It was Robert McNamara's project at Ford before be became SecDef for JFK then LBJ. The '67 Falcon Futura Coupe was actually not a bad looking little car. (Yes, I can remember back that far.) It would be cool to see another Ford Falcon come off the line.

cough-cough Lee Iaccoca cough-cough

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC, an early 80s Granada rebadge.

Zephyr was the 1978 to 1983 Mercury version of the Fairmont.

The 1975 to 1980 Mercury version of the Granada was the Monarch. The Granada and Monarch and later Lincoln Versailles were the last cars based on the 1960 Falcon platform.

When the Granada moved to the Fox platform in 1981, the Mercury version was Cougar (Cougar XR7 was the Mercury version of the Thunderbird). In 1982, the station wagon model moved to the Granada and Cougar. There was a Cougar wagon in 1977 (LTD II) and in 1982 only. The Granada and Cougar were replaced by the Fox LTD and Marquis in 1983.

Ford did a lot of shuffling in those days. The Fox platform Fairmont replaced the Maverick, but ended up as Ford's intermediate platform, though a little smaller than GM's A body. The Taurus finally made Ford competitive in the intermediate class.

Edited by ehaase
  • Like 1