2016 Edge Dead Battery

Melltimejr

2016 Edge, Titanium, AWD, 19,000 miles. Vehicle has gone completely dead on me twice now. Too dead to even charge it with cables, both times have required a call to AAA to have them bring a charging unit. First occurrence was after it had sat in the garage for about 8 days. Second occurrence was after a day and a half. Upon it being charged, got a "rear hatch ajar" warning message, though the hatch was fully shut. Received a similar warning message today though the vehicle luckily hasn't died again...yet. Been to the dealer twice with it. Replaced the battery the first time, simply monitored it the second time. They're clueless. Thoughts?

Not to sound to simple but there must be a draw on the battery. Did they check for anything drawing down the battery or just replace it.

I had this happen with a new 90 Chrysler 5th Ave. Every time I let the car sit a few days, the battery went dead. The dealer discovered the switch for the glove box light was bent and the light remained on constantly. They adjusted it and no further problem. Sounds like you may have something similar with the rear hatch.

• 2 months later...

Turns out that the rear hatch unseats itself mechanically and stays ajar from time to time. The dead battery occurred before we diagnosed that the hatch was ajar, and some module somewhere simply didn't kick off...thus the dead battery.

Have had the Edge in the shop 4 times now, and the rear hatch issue hasn't been fixed. It continues to "unseat" itself from time to time, and they can't figure out why, or replicate it.

Turns out that the rear hatch unseats itself mechanically and stays ajar from time to time. The dead battery occurred before we diagnosed that the hatch was ajar, and some module somewhere simply didn't kick off...thus the dead battery.

Have had the Edge in the shop 4 times now, and the rear hatch issue hasn't been fixed. It continues to "unseat" itself from time to time, and they can't figure out why, or replicate it.

Replace the latch assembly?

Seems logical to me, but unless they can get it to do it themselves, they refuse to work on it. This has been fun...

It's understandable. If you can't reproduce the problem you can't really be sure you're fixing it and you can't test to make sure it was fixed.

That said, at some point you just have to take a good guess.

That would just piss me off too. Good luck.

Absolutely understand your frustration. However, the first step in diagnosing an issue according warranty policy is verifying concern. It sucks because if a repair is attempted without verifying and it doesn't fix it, then that's a repeat repair and one repair towards buyback.

Some people get paymentitus and make up problems to get lemon law.

Edited by fordtech1