2014 Escape humming noise at road speeds

edselford

My wife has a 2014 Front Wheel drive Ford Escape with the 1.6 liter Ecoboost engine.

the vehicle was purchased new in October 2013 and has 32,600 miles on the odometer.

one week ago after a scheduled oil change and tire rotation, the vehicle started making a humming noise from about 15 mph to about 80mph. The noise varies with vehicle speed in frequency and is a constant drone type noise at constant speed.

At lower speeds, it sounds like a bicycle with a baseball card attached to the fender rail, that hits the bike spoke to create a noise when we were kids. I just don't understand what is going on/

I checked the tires for nails and punctures and they are all right even though they are the original, 20" wheels.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this noise, that seems to come from the back of the vehicle?

Thank You

Edselford

• 1 month later...

I had Ford dealer in Brighton drive vehicle over about 18 miles. Conclusion was that when tires were recently rotated, the front tires rotated to the rear were somewhat cupped on outer side and this was making the noise. Dealer checked for wheel bearing and it was not a wheel bearing noise and not related to engine/turbo issue.

Well, continental tires were rotated on a normal basis, either 10,000 miles, every other oil change, or 8,000 miles to the current mileage. How do tires get cupped?

edselford