Coyote/Koenigsegg Connection???

This has been a great discussion with lots of info provided. The benefit to keep engine enhancements compatible with existing production machining (bore-centers, etc.) is not something new. The original SBF(221,260,289,etc) had the same bore centers as the Y-block so that they could be machined along the same lines. I've often wondered if 289 heads could have been "adjusted" to fit a Y-block. Incidentally, In the last several "Engine Masters" challenges, the old Y-block engines have been producing unbelievable HP (and winning their class).

There's a lot more than bore spacing shared between the Koeniggsegg engine and the 4.6. Koenigsegg is still using the 4.6 cam/crank position sensors, 4G altenator, timing cover remains interchangable, rear main seal plate is the same, they were using actual Ford cylinder heads castings on at least as late as the Agera motor.

Crankshafts are interchangable between all 3 engines, the Coyote's rear mounted crank trigger posing he greatest obstacle to interchangeability, no such issue exists between the Koenigsegg/4.6.

The Coyote shares many dimensions with the 4.6 beyond bore spacing and deck height. Main bearing width/diameter, rod bearing diameter, connecting rod length (and small end diameter), cylinder head bolt pattern, bellhousing bolt pattern all identical.

And like I've already said, the Coyote is MUCH close to a new architecture than the Koenigsegg engine is. Koenigsegg have tried to distance themselves from the 4.6 from a marketing perspective, they have done exactly the opposite from an engineering perspective.

Which is pretty much the objective when your aim is to fortify and evolve existing design,

read the article and Koenigsegg only have one engine designer guy...Of course he's only

going to change that which needs changing and leave the rest to a fair usage agreement

between the two companies.

For the record this is the list of parts Ford lists for "classic hot rod". Anyone notice any deficiencies?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/classic-ford-hot-rod/

Yeah.

These things: https://performanceparts.ford.com/category/38/Engine%20Blocks

And these things: https://performanceparts.ford.com/category/43/Cylinder%20Heads

And these things: https://performanceparts.ford.com/category/44/Crankshafts

And so on and so forth. It's patently obvious that list consists of dress-up bits that are intended for FORD engines.

This has been a great discussion with lots of info provided. The benefit to keep engine enhancements compatible with existing production machining (bore-centers, etc.) is not something new. The original SBF(221,260,289,etc) had the same bore centers as the Y-block so that they could be machined along the same lines. I've often wondered if 289 heads could have been "adjusted" to fit a Y-block. Incidentally, In the last several "Engine Masters" challenges, the old Y-block engines have been producing unbelievable HP (and winning their class).

For a project in the back of my mind, this is one reason I am looking at being non traditional - I am looking for a Ford 302, not the one you all are thinking of, but the Lincoln Y block 302 truck engine. Unique look with unique sound and can still use the 302 or 5 liter badges.

For a project in the back of my mind, this is one reason I am looking at being non traditional - I am looking for a Ford 302, not the one you all are thinking of, but the Lincoln Y block 302 truck engine. Unique look with unique sound and can still use the 302 or 5 liter badges.

Wow. How many of those blocks do you think there even are anymore?

For Ford, the reasoning was simple. By not changing the bore spacing Ford avoided millions of dollars in new tooling costs and shortened the time to production by re-using existing tooling.

Right around the same time Coyote was developed Ford invested in new tooling for the 6.2L Boss. According to this article, Ford had considered the 6.2L for the Mustang. I wonder if they ever considered dropping the modular V8 altogether and focus on the new engines based on 6.2L instead. Develop aluminum blocks, 4 valve heads, various displacements, etc. for the Boss instead of putting the funds into Coyote.

Yeah.

These things: https://performanceparts.ford.com/category/38/Engine%20Blocks

And these things: https://performanceparts.ford.com/category/43/Cylinder%20Heads

And these things: https://performanceparts.ford.com/category/44/Crankshafts

And so on and so forth. It's patently obvious that list consists of dress-up bits that are intended for FORD engines.

Yes Richard, there is precious little support for Ford V8 into early car. As far as I know there is a "shorty" water pump available and some block hugger headers. Maybe an angled oil filter adapter. That's about it.

What they need to do initially is so simple. Firstly they need some reasonably priced pulleys and brackets available for 289-302, 351W, and 429-460 engines. The "Fairlane" engines need both conventional and shorty setups.

These parts mostly already exist in some form but haven't been pulled together under one brand and thus making them easy to find and use.

There should be some form of literature or at least a section on the Ford Performance website, that includes Q & A, that pertains specifically to Ford V8 into early car applications.

Again all this information exists but has never been pulled together in one understandable information source.

Lastly Ford should really think about branding a parts group including engine assemblies that speaks to the very type of enthusiast that would endeavor into this type of project.

Something catchy and old school like the "Power King" or maybe the "Thunderbird" power train line.

Not rocket science just a teeny tiny wee bit of effort could make a big difference.

Edited by Stray Kat

These parts mostly already exist in some form but haven't been pulled together under one brand and thus making them easy to find and use.

Doesn't necessarily need to be Ford that does this.

Someone with a bit of web savvy could put together a "Put a Ford in your Ford" website that cataloged the parts necessary to fit a Fairlane, FE, 385, or any other Ford motor into a hot rod.

Doesn't necessarily need to be Ford that does this.

Someone with a bit of web savvy could put together a "Put a Ford in your Ford" website that cataloged the parts necessary to fit a Fairlane, FE, 385, or any other Ford motor into a hot rod.

Richard I'd do the technical "leg work" if someone talented such as yourself could do the website thing.

• Like 1

I am slowly building a 1954 317" Lincoln V8. In fact I have a neat B/W 3spd o/d to back it up for a traditional hot rod drive line.

Great - We need to keep some of the old engines around. Those Lincoln Y blocks have unique looks and sounds.

Is there anyone else hoping that Ford Performance decides to really pull out the stops and builds a crate version on the 6.2 Raptor engine to 427 cubic inches giving us a modern 427 SOHC?

Ford does sell those engines to Indmar where they are converted for marine use. There seems to be a quiet program at Ford that does business with cottage industry.

If a 427 SOHC Raptor could be created and marketed for $10,000 or less you would hear a giant sucking sound coming out of the GMPP division of General Motors.

Seems like a fairly minor changes to the rotating assembly would get them to the magic number.

Such an engine would cause shock waves in the hot rod community. There would be magazine covers dedicated to that engine for months. In a very short time that engine would catch on and form a whole new and exciting branch of the Ford Performance tree.

Is there anyone else hoping that Ford Performance decides to really pull out the stops and builds a crate version on the 6.2 Raptor engine to 427 cubic inches giving us a modern 427 SOHC?

Ford does sell those engines to Indmar where they are converted for marine use. There seems to be a quiet program at Ford that does business with cottage industry.

If a 427 SOHC Raptor could be created and marketed for $10,000 or less you would hear a giant sucking sound coming out of the GMPP division of General Motors.

Seems like a fairly minor changes to the rotating assembly would get them to the magic number.

Such an engine would cause shock waves in the hot rod community. There would be magazine covers dedicated to that engine for months. In a very short time that engine would catch on and form a whole new and exciting branch of the Ford Performance tree.

It's a nice idea and I get your enthusiasm but from Ford's standpoint it probably wouldn't make sense. Hard to justify a one-off crate engine not used in a production vehicle both from a profit and resource perspective especially when they already have production based ecoboost engines making even more power.

It's a nice idea and I get your enthusiasm but from Ford's standpoint it probably wouldn't make sense. Hard to justify a one-off crate engine not used in a production vehicle both from a profit and resource perspective especially when they already have production based ecoboost engines making even more power.

I'm not following you here--Ford is already selling crate engines that aren't used in production vehicles, including 302s, 351s, and 460s. They're even selling 351s stroked and bored out to 427 cubes:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/competition-crate-engines/#351

I'm not following you here--Ford is already selling crate engines that aren't used in production vehicles, including 302s, 351s, and 460s. They're even selling 351s stroked and bored out to 427 cubes:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/competition-crate-engines/#351

But those are based on previous production engines so all that tooling and development is already paid for. This would entail development and testing and production of a new engine with limited market competing with Ford resources.