2019 Focus testing on ice

So what you got from Callum's comment is that the North American SE MK4 will be offered with less content than the current N.A. Focus SE?

Look at what they did for MY2017, they severely de-contented the Focus. Some here would argue they streamlined the option packages by going from 200,000 orderable configurations to about 300, but compare the order guide from 2016 to 2017 and you'll see. It's almost as if they've given up on it. We've been told at MAP that they're not investing anything else into the Focus from here until the end of production next year.

I know that is why I made the point that it sounds like the Focus is going back to 2005 & 2008 type specs.

Given the Focus (no pun intended) on CUV's investment in products that don't make as much money will be limited. If Gas prices increase, its not like the Focus and Escape (which shouldn't be decontented) won't be sharing alot of the same parts so a Limited Focus won't be too hard to implement if necessary.

Its just given of what is happening in the North American marketplace. You can't force people to buy product they don't want.

Look at what they did for MY2017, they severely de-contented the Focus. Some here would argue they streamlined the option packages by going from 200,000 orderable configurations to about 300, but compare the order guide from 2016 to 2017 and you'll see. It's almost as if they've given up on it. We've been told at MAP that they're not investing anything else into the Focus from here until the end of production next year.

The simplifying of the ordering guide is the shape of things to come and I'd expect that the Next Gen Focus will

continue that strategy by having plenty of optional features but they will be bundled to simplify ordering and build.

In my opinion, that is not de-contenting but more like Ford responding to what buyers are actually asking for

and bundling that up into popular packages or the SEL model itself. The one exception is the elimination

of the 5-speed manual option from SE, that is unfortunate but sales of the 5MT may now be at a dribble.

Fuzzy, I think you're right about Ford losing interest. This rationalization of models and ordering is all about final

supply orders and the run to the finish, the numbers of builds required for 2018 would be set, probably conservatively.

Edited by jpd80

Given the Focus (no pun intended) on CUV's investment in products that don't make as much money will be limited. If Gas prices increase, its not like the Focus and Escape (which shouldn't be decontented) won't be sharing alot of the same parts so a Limited Focus won't be too hard to implement if necessary.

Its just given of what is happening in the North American marketplace. You can't force people to buy product they don't want.

outside of the basic platform, there's way more shared between the Escape and C-Max than the Escape and Focus. Most of the C-Max parts around my work area are labeled with the program code for the Escape. The door panels are identical.

I can get behind streamlining packages for something like the Focus, 200,000 configurations is entirely too many for average joe buyer, and it's not like is an F-150 which they need to consider a very large variety of needs for both average joe buyer and the fleet work truck orders. The fact that they took that many standalone options out really bugs me. The fact that I can't order a sunroof on anything but a titanium or ST/RS as part of a package deal seems very wrong to me, outside of the base series that should be a standalone option.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I can get behind streamlining packages for something like the Focus, 200,000 configurations is entirely too many for average joe buyer, and it's not like is an F-150 which they need to consider a very large variety of needs for both average joe buyer and the fleet work truck orders. The fact that they took that many standalone options out really bugs me. The fact that I can't order a sunroof on anything but a titanium or ST/RS as part of a package deal seems very wrong to me, outside of the base series that should be a standalone option.

I understand what you're saying and with that also understand what Ford would want to lock in build projections to the finish.

it's a nice neat way for Ford to reduce complication but sadly, it also tramples the individuality of ordering a custom vehicles

with just the options those buyers want....

Bundling options advantages Ford more than buyers, the marketing to buyers is the total savings

on all options in the bundle but you still pay more than if just ordering the individual option.

Europeans generally prefer more standard content in their vehicle trim levels

rather than going through a long list of optioning, that's a cultural difference

Ford still does not fully understand - that and the correct product mix.

Shoot if it came down to having S, SE, SEL and Titanium, I'd change the S

from just a base to a Sport Appearance package and make each model

more specific to actual buying preferences.

Edited by jpd80

outside of the basic platform, there's way more shared between the Escape and C-Max than the Escape and Focus. Most of the C-Max parts around my work area are labeled with the program code for the Escape. The door panels are identical.

The green house glass on the C-max is more or less identical to the Escape also. Seems like they differ sheetmetal wise from the B-pillar down.

Moonroofs always have stuff bundled with them on most cars...my wife's first Escape had a Moon and Tune option which was Sync and a Moonroof with it. Other cars require you to get homelink with the Moon Roof also.

I have an SE with leather seats and no sunroof. If I want to replace my car, I have to get a Titanium, and deal with sunroof. When cars only sell with huge rebates can't expect "build your own unique combination". Want manual? get an ST/RS. Want loaded, get a Ti. Want average Joe, get SE. I think they can kill off the S, but it's for dealer "bait and switch"

"Severely de-contented"? No, you can still get a Titanium, well equipped, just cant get a loaded SE that is just about the same car. Reality is compact car sales are down, gas is cheap. UV's are hot cakes. [And why B*****6 isn't on here anymore] Someone said "Ford is giving up", but look at what sells for top dollar. Again, what do you expect, Government to mandate compact car sales? {B*****6's idea} Also, at least Ford didn't drop their cars like Chrysler did to the 200 and Neon Dart.

It's not 2008 with $5 gas.

Only if another recession comes will compacts come back, but who wants another recession?

Resale is poor for almost all cars [anything not classed as a truck] these days. Ford dealers want to sell more trucks/utes, anyway to get more allocation.

I'll drive till wheels fall off, no need to get new car every year like 1965.

Edited by 630land

Until the real car is shown, I am not going to agree with "back to 2005 and 2008 specs".

The top selling compact, Honda Civic, is doing well with "loaded" models, Ford would be foolish to ignore them. I don't see them selling "only" de-contented models as some claim.

I don't think we will see a Focus with less content in the US... that's not what the customers are asking for.

What we will see is a Focus with lower costs.

Twist beam instead of IRS.

Conventional auto instead of DCT.

Streamlined packages instead of individual options.

One or two interior theme instead of four or five.

No more profit sapping "S" model.

etc

But rest assure every standard equipment in a Civic Touring will be in a Focus Titanium. And every standard equipment in a Civic LX will in in a Focus SE.

• Like 2

"severely de-contented"...

I'm under the impression that frequently variants/opts get reduced for the last year of a 'program'.

So whatever replaces the C346-Focus could have more & revamped features available.

• Like 1

Correct, a lot of this is simply to match expected builds through to the finish,

you probably find that that Ford is discontinuing the 5-speed manual soon

but not bothering with a calibration for the 6MT for such a small build.

I'm curious about the SEL and whether that will placate a few buyer are annoyed

by the lack of options in SE - it might work if cross shopper actually know it exists...

• Like 1

Today I read that the Irapuato Transmission plant that produces the current Powershift (dry clutch)is ending production and being replaced with a new transmission said to be going into the next Fiesta & next Focus. The new 3 cylinder engine will be built at the Chihuahua plant and will go in the next Fiesta, but no mention of the Focus & EcoSport using this engine..Also mentioned was the next Focus production at the Hermosillo plant is to begin at the end of 2018

Today I read that the Irapuato Transmission plant that produces the current Powershift (dry clutch)is ending production and being replaced with a new transmission said to be going into the next Fiesta & next Focus. The new 3 cylinder engine will be built at the Chihuahua plant and will go in the next Fiesta, but no mention of the Focus & EcoSport using this engine..Also mentioned was the next Focus production at the Hermosillo plant is to begin at the end of 2018

http://www.mexico-now.com/index.php/article/1698-ford-starts-recruitment-for-transmission-plant-in-irapuato

Ford spent US$ 1.2 billion to build a transmission plant within the premises of a facility used by transmission supplier and partner Getrag, located in the city of Irapuato in the state of Guanajuato. The project will create 2,000 jobs.

The new transmission plant —Ford’s first transmission facility in Mexico— will produce two all-new automatic transmissions for key products primarily in South America, Europe and Asia Pacific as well as other North American markets.

That was another weakness of the old dry clutch trans. It wasn't rated to handle the torque of the EB engines. Even the smaller 1.0EB was too much torque. Hopefully these new trans are all built with EB in mind.

The current Focus 2.0L GDI engine used with the current DCT dry clutch powershift is 146 lb/ft. The 1.0EB is 148 lb/ft. I don't think it was torque capacity that drove the 1.0EB to the 6F15.