Self Reporting Door Ding system with Camera

meyeste

I have so many door dings on my daily driver, I shutter to think about replacing it, last fall was really thinking about taking advantage of the fall sales, then I took my son to a birthday party and changed my mind. I was away from my car maybe 10 minutes came out and there were new dents on both sides caused by door dings. I had just washed my car, so I was absolutely sure the dents where new. At that point I abandoned the idea of getting a new car, as the only solace was at least my current vehicle is paid off. Since manufacturers are making cars so smart and capable, surely we can generate a protocol that would have a car that detected one of its' doors made contact with another, communicate to the other car that it happened. Also a camera in the rearview mirrors what would switch on when an impact is detected and possibly get license plate numbers.

If people believe they aren't going to get away with damaging someone else's property they'll be more careful - it's the "keeping honest people honest" theory.

If there were a new car that had a way of recording a door ding and whom was responsible, I'd definitely go for that feature.

Edited by meyeste

Absolutely! I hate door dings with a passion. I would pay extra for something like this. I am very consciousness around other people's vehicles, but unfortunately that is not always the case with others. This is why I park in the back 40 in parking lots and my wife tends to get annoyed with me.

• 1 month later...

I don't see it being technically feasible. Even if you could detect the event, the vehicle is beside you so you can't see the license plate. And nobody is going to allow their own vehicle to tattle on them.

First it's absolutely technically feasible, you don't think people will permit their cars to report them? It happens now, Onstar absolutely reports accidents immediately to local police without authorization. Have an accident in an Onstar equipped vehicle, which besides GM includes Acura, VW, Subaru and the local police are alerted whether you give the okay or not.

A simple Camera in the side mirror would likely catch enough, especially in states where front plates are required.

I'm technical to say the least and have worked in automation, you'd be surprised at what can be automated. Specifying out the requirements is simple, proximity sensors or radar, cameras and an accelerometer. The sensors and radar are already many cars today, and many cars have accelerometer in them too (Mustang track pack). Custom software would have to be developed and get it to function just right however existing car security system code would likely get you 80% there. And why stop there, this could be used for cars to catch break-ins, whenever someone walks up to the window snap a picture, or for that matter video, allow the for enough storage to keep say the last 30 days of data before overwriting it's there.

Not that I go through it it makes me wonder if this isn't already available on the aftermarket....

Edited by meyeste

After seeing the 360 camera on my new truck, I think they could derive something that could possibly capture some information. As the last poster suggested, it might not capture everything, but it sure could capture something to work with. All you need is a plate number, or partial plate combined with make, model, and/or color.

Edited by tbone

First it's absolutely technically feasible, you don't think people will permit their cars to report them? It happens now, Onstar absolutely reports accidents immediately to local police without authorization. Have an accident in an Onstar equipped vehicle, which besides GM includes Acura, VW, Subaru and the local police are alerted whether you give the okay or not.

A simple Camera in the side mirror would likely catch enough, especially in states where front plates are required.

I'm technical to say the least and have worked in automation, you'd be surprised at what can be automated. Specifying out the requirements is simple, proximity sensors or radar, cameras and an accelerometer. The sensors and radar are already many cars today, and many cars have accelerometer in them too (Mustang track pack). Custom software would have to be developed and get it to function just right however existing car security system code would likely get you 80% there. And why stop there, this could be used for cars to catch break-ins, whenever someone walks up to the window snap a picture, or for that matter video, allow the for enough storage to keep say the last 30 days of data before overwriting it's there.

With Onstar you have to purchase the security package to get the automatic crash response, and in that case you're requesting medical and police assistance for yourself, not reporting that you hit somebody else in the parking lot. With Sync you have to specifically enable 911 assist.

I'm not saying it can't be done but I think it would require additional cameras and sensors beyond what is now available.

How are you going to take a picture of a license plate of a car parked beside you? Launch a drone?

• 6 months later...

With Onstar you have to purchase the security package to get the automatic crash response, and in that case you're requesting medical and police assistance for yourself, not reporting that you hit somebody else in the parking lot. With Sync you have to specifically enable 911 assist.

I'm not saying it can't be done but I think it would require additional cameras and sensors beyond what is now available.

That isn't true, I have friend with an Onstar equipped Acura. He doesn't not pay extra for automatic crash response, he hit a puddle and hydroplaned into a guardrail. The car was actually still drivable, the air bag didn't even go off. The Onstar operator detected the accident and asked if he needed help - he said - no I'm good, the police tracked him down while he was on his way home. The cop that stopped him told him whenever Onstar detects a crash the conversation is automatically broadcast to police in the vicinity. I'm not sure where you get your information, this is what actually happens.

Edited by meyeste

That isn't true, I have friend with an Onstar equipped Acura. He doesn't not pay extra for automatic crash response, he hit a puddle and hydroplaned into a guardrail. The car was actually still drivable, the air bag didn't even go off. The Onstar operator detected the accident and asked if he needed help - he said - no I'm good, the police tracked him down while he was on his way home. The cop that stopped him told him whenever Onstar detects a crash the conversation is automatically broadcast to police in the vicinity. I'm not sure where you get your information, this is what actually happens.

On today's plans you must purchase an additional package for a monthly fee to get the automatic crash response. Minimum $19.99/month. Either the packages were different back then or Acura paid for it.

Along these same lines for door dings I have often thought the same thing for dash cams. The 2018 expeditions and Navigators have cameras all over, it seems like a no brainer to offer factory camera enabled recording. They already have usb connections they could use that or just add an sd slot. I am not looking forward to the hassle of installing my ugly windshield mounted dash cam on my brand new Navigator.

On today's plans you must purchase an additional package for a monthly fee to get the automatic crash response. Minimum $19.99/month. Either the packages were different back then or Acura paid for it.

Like I said, whenever a car equipped with onstar detects an impact and someone from Onstar comes on the line - the conversation is broadcast to local police.

How are you going to take a picture of a license plate of a car parked beside you? Launch a drone?

If the camera catches the door of the car that hit you and it sends your phone a message that'd be enough in most cases, if the car has blindspot sensor they could be used to detect the car pulling out. If there is a will there is a way, if just some Ford vehicles had this feature, once it became general knowledge all Ford cars would benefit.

Like I said, whenever a car equipped with onstar detects an impact and someone from Onstar comes on the line - the conversation is broadcast to local police.

Only if the car equipped with Onstar also has the automatic crash reporting feature, which is OPTIONAL on GM vehicles. It may have been standard on the Acura but not all Onstar vehicles.

Only if the car equipped with Onstar also has the automatic crash reporting feature, which is OPTIONAL on GM vehicles. It may have been standard on the Acura but not all Onstar vehicles.

focus here "If someone from Onstar contacts you after an accident the conversation is broadcast to local police". if that implies "automatic crash reporting" is being paid for well great it doesn't change that this does in fact happen.

With Onstar you have to purchase the security package to get the automatic crash response

This is what I said and it is absolutely true. It only happens if the subscriber has the "Automatic Crash Response" feature which is OPTIONAL from Onstar. I wasn't debating whether it was broadcast to local police - only pointing out that this doesn't happen on every onstar equipped vehicle.