2018 Explorer Production Information

Here's the latest information available for the 2017/2018 Explorer production schedule.

• 06/30/2017 - 2017MY Fleet Final Order Due Date
  • 08/10/2017 - 2017MY Last Day to Spec Change
  • 10/15/2017 - 2017MY Job Last Date

• 07/18/2017 - 2018MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 08/31/2017 - 2018MY Scheduling Begins
  • 10/16/2017 - 2018MY Job #1 Date
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I'd like to place an order for a 2018 Explorer Platinum when the order bank opens on July 18, but I'd like to review the 2018 Explorer Order Guide in advance so I understand all features and options. Any news on when the 2018 Explorer Order Guide will be available?

Also, my wife is curious to know how the new-for-2018 "Blue Metallic" paint color compares to the 2016/2017 "Blue Jeans" paint color. Does anyone have the paint codes for these two colors?

Thanks!

The 2018 Explorer Order Guide will be available on or about the date (07/18/2017) that the USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) opens. It will be uploaded to the Order Guide Section as soon as it's available. The new Blue Metallic (FT) is similar to the Blue Jeans Metallic (N1) but a shade or two lighter. Ford dealers have had the 2018MY color chip folders for some time now so your local dealer can show you the actual color chips.

I appreciate the replies, fuzzymoomoo and ice-capades. I was able to find an online photo of a 2018 Explorer painted with the Blue Metallic color. My wife's opinion is that it's too light and bright for such a large vehicle (she picks the color; I pick the vehicle). Good to know the dealer has the 2018MY color chips, so we'll take a look before ordering. Leaning toward Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clear Coat paint at this time.

I'll monitor this forum for the appearance of the 2018 Explorer Order Guide. Hope to be among the first to place an order for a 2018.

The 2018MY Explorer USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) is due to open on 07/18/2017. The 2018 Explorer Order Guide will be uploaded to the Order Guide Section as soon as it is released to Dealers. It's usually available on or about the day that the USOB opens but there are sometimes delays if Ford is still finalizing the ordering specifications, etc.

• Like 1

The 2018MY Explorer USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) is due to open on 07/18/2017. The 2018 Explorer Order Guide will be uploaded to the Order Guide Section as soon as it is released to Dealers. It's usually available on or about the day that the USOB opens but there are sometimes delays if Ford is still finalizing the ordering specifications, etc.

Why is it called an Unscheduled Order Bank? If I'm among the first to place an order for a 2018 Explorer Platinum when orders are accepted tomorrow, won't I be among the first to take delivery after production starts on October 16? (Assuming my dealer has adequate allocation.)

Why is it called an Unscheduled Order Bank? If I'm among the first to place an order for a 2018 Explorer Platinum when orders are accepted tomorrow, won't I be among the first to take delivery after production starts on October 16? (Assuming my dealer has adequate allocation.)

because at this point no orders are scheduled for production yet. I'm not entirely sure how priority and whatnot works.

Visited my Ford dealer yesterday (July 18) and attempted to order a 2018 Explorer. My sales guy tried, but he said the order bank is not open and the order guide is unavailable. He will contact me as soon as Ford decides to enable orders.

Ford has still not released the 2018 Explorer Order Guide. As soon as it's available I'll upload it to the Order Guide Section.

Thanks, ice-capades. I'll check here often to snag the 2018 Explorer Order Guide as soon as its released.

Please excuse my enthusiasm. I guess I'm just a bit weird wanting the first 2018 Explorer on the block!

Thanks, ice-capades. I'll check here often to snag the 2018 Explorer Order Guide as soon as its released.

Please excuse my enthusiasm. I guess I'm just a bit weird wanting the first 2018 Explorer on the block!

As of a few minutes ago Ford has still not released the order guide to dealers.

• Like 1

No 2018MY Explorer Order Guide yet. I'll keep checking throughout the day and upload it as soon as it's released!

I really appreciate your attention to this, ice-capades. Looks like Ford decided to postpone opening the 2018MY Explorer USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) for some reason.

I really appreciate your attention to this, ice-capades. Looks like Ford decided to postpone opening the 2018MY Explorer USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) for some reason.

A lot of the 2018MY order guides are being released at least a week after the USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) is scheduled to open. More interesting is that this is happening for vehicle lines with minimal if any changes. I'll be surprised if there are anything other than minimal changes to the 2018MY Explorer except for the usual couple of paint color changes. We'll all find out when the 2018 Explorer Order Guide is finally released to dealers and I can upload it to the Order Guide Section.

This morning, I received an update from my sales guy at my local Ford dealer. He said, "Looks like the Explorer will have a late ordering schedule. Could be as late as September."

I don't know where he's getting this info.

And, ice-capades, you are correct regarding minor changes for the 2018MY Explorer: Mild front-end refresh, three new paint colors, and quad-exhaust outlets for the Sport and Platinum trim levels. That's about it.

This morning, I received an update from my sales guy at my local Ford dealer. He said, "Looks like the Explorer will have a late ordering schedule. Could be as late as September."

I don't know where he's getting this info.

And, ice-capades, you are correct regarding minor changes for the 2018MY Explorer: Mild front-end refresh, three new paint colors, and quad-exhaust outlets for the Sport and Platinum trim levels. That's about it.

With a Job #1 Date as late as 10/16/2017, it's certainly possible that the 2018MY Explorer USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) and scheduling timetable will be later than expected. It's possible that your Dealer has gotten information from their Ford Zone Manager or someone else at Ford.

Right now, the problem with the delays is that it's already affecting Dealers' ability to deal and comply with municipal and government fleet bid timetables. In particular, the delays are causing problems with bids for the 2018MY Police Interceptor Utility. The 2017MY PI Utility has already "balanced out" and Dealers don't have the information they need to meet bid requests that are already coming in for the 2018MY.

• Like 2

...Right now, the problem with the delays is that it's already affecting Dealers' ability to deal and comply with municipal and government fleet bid timetables. In particular, the delays are causing problems with bids for the 2018MY Police Interceptor Utility. The 2017MY PI Utility has already "balanced out" and Dealers don't have the information they need to meet bid requests that are already coming in for the 2018MY.

2ic5rw7.jpg

I never even thought of these issues, ice-capades! thumbup1.gif

Is there one time-of-year/season that's better to have the info come out for LEO or other Fleet purposes?

Edited by 2b2
  • Like 1

2ic5rw7.jpg

I never even thought of these issues, ice-capades! thumbup1.gif

Is there one time-of-year/season that's better to have the info come out for LEO or other Fleet purposes?

Not really. The government agencies have their own fiscal year, budgets, etc. and fleet acquisition timetables and there's really no one time-of-the-year. It also depends how good the purchasing agent is and whether they pay attention to the fleet ordering schedules and deadlines. It's not uncommon for them asking to place orders after the fleet ordering deadline.

We're just about to finish delivering nearly (70) 2017 Transit T-350 MR Vans that were drop shipped for $20,000+ worth of upfits for each vehicle. Due to the long fleet order lead times, shipping, upfit installation time, shipping to the dealership, etc. it been over 6 months since the first batch of Transits were ordered. They've been delivered at a rate of 3-6 per week. Municipal orders for Explorer Police Interceptors average about 6-8 per department, per year, and those orders come in at all times of the year depending on the usual fiscal year, budgets, fleet replacement needs, etc.

• Like 2

It was announced at a Ford Fleet meeting yesterday that the 2018 Explorer Order Guide will be available on either 08/02/2017 or 8/04/2017 and that the USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) will open at that time!

This is consistent with info I received from a contact at Ford Motor Company who said the 2018 Explorer Order Guide would be released "on or about August 1st."