New 2018 Ford Fiesta ST (UK)

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/this-is-2018-ford-fiesta-st-and-it-has.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2018-ford-fiesta-st-0.jpg

With just a little over a week to go until the 2017 Geneva Motor Show, Ford have officially unveiled the new generation Fiesta ST.

Building upon the regular versions, the hot hatch uses a newly-developed 1.5-liter three-cylinder EcoBoost petrol engine that pushes out 200 PS (197 HP) and 290 Nm (214 lb-ft) of torque, allowing it to go from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.7 seconds, or 0.2sec faster than before.

Users can shift between three different driving modes: Normal, Sport and Track, which enable engine, steering and stability controls to be configured from motorway to track day condition.

More text and stuff at the link.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 2

I wonder if the 3 cyl 1.5 will replace the current 1.5 4cyl eco-boost?...this 1.6 was only in the ST anyways....Im guessing once again MPGs are moving up the priority ladder....Glad I kept mine...that 1.6 is an absolute sweetheart...

Edited by Deanh

Dragon has been circling for a while, primarily developed as a more efficient engine in terms of global parts supplies,

production and performance / fuel economy. In India and presumably Asia, the engine is or will be supplied as NA 1.2,

NA 1.5 and 1.5 EB.

It looks like Bridgend will make the switch and cease production of the older 1.5/1.6 Sigma engines but absolutely

no word yet on when or if North American production switches - I think it will, the new Dragon 1.5 EB will absolutely

floor most of the competition and silence a few noisy empty pots in the rank and probably do that with the addition

of the new 9-speed auto JV transmission.

Good days ahead.

• Like 1

I think the only vehicle the 1.6 is actually in here IS the Fiesta ST no?....and its not the mainstream 1.6 that used to reside in the Fusion.That vehicle has a 1.5, BUT its 4 cylinders....which raises the question...is 3 the new vogue?

The 1.6 Ecoboost is the same one that used to be in Fusion and Escape, except for some minor engine control software difference that allow for more overboost (higher peak horsepower). Transit Connect still uses the 1.6 Ecoboost too.

Fusion and Escape moved over to the 1.5 Ecoboost (I4 version) when they were updated.

Edited by bzcat

Apparently in the EU Ford is not allowed to advertise the HP during overboost. That is why the otherwise identical current 1.6l is rated lower there. The new 1.5l Dragon is now rated equal to the old U.S. 1.6l. Does the Dragon have an overboost feature? If it does, then the 1.5l will actually have a nice power increase.

• Like 1

Apparently in the EU Ford is not allowed to advertise the HP during overboost. That is why the otherwise identical current 1.6l is rated lower there. The new 1.5l Dragon is now rated equal to the old U.S. 1.6l. Does the Dragon have an overboost feature? If it does, then the 1.5l will actually have a nice power increase.

Overboost is considered a temporary output as it turns off after around 15 seconds.

The old 1.6 EB Fiesta ST made 180 HP and overboost to 197 HP

while the ST200 made 197 HP and overboost to 212 HP.

I can imagine the 1.5 EB Dragon taking over from the current Sigma based 1.5 EB...

oh sorry, you guys don't get that yet..

Edited by jpd80

Germans have did a study where an engine in power efficiency is most efficient in .5 increments, you can see Ford following this as well. http://blog.caranddriver.com/why-0-5-liter-cylinders-will-soon-dominate-automotive-engine-design/

That article pretty much describes how Ford designed the Modular V8 back in the late '80's. The 4.6L V8 had 575 cc cylinders with undersquare bore/stroke ratio, tall deck height, narrow bore centers and short block length.

Edited by 30 OTT 6