Ford Explorer Exhaust Leaks in News

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is taking a look at the Ford Explorer over concerns about exhaust gas leaking into the cabin. The investigation was launched after 154 complaints were submitted about a powerful exhaust odor infiltrating the interior. The Explorers being looked at are MY 2011-2015. The NHTSA has not revealed how many SUVs might be caught up in the probe but it has linked one crash to the issue. Fortunately no one was injured in that incident.

It's been an issue for a while. A TSB has been issued and updated a few times. A procedure to seal body seams and reprogram HVAC system is outlined. Any car you drive a certain way will make the cats emit a sulfer smell. Plus some folks are more susceptible to it. I don't know how you could wreck from it unless you became light headed from the fumes. My family and myself have owned Various vehicles that, especially when still new, the catalytic converter and new exhaust smell terrible at times. However, I don't recall smelling it inside the vehicle.

This issue has been going on since 2011. There is no fix for it. 3 TSBS, all have failed to fix it. Many buybacks have happened..

Ford tech, I agree about the sulfur smell but there is more to it then that. There is exhaust fumes that are entering the vehicle and that is more the problem then the sulfur smell.

This issue has been going on since 2011. There is no fix for it. 3 TSBS, all have failed to fix it. Many buybacks have happened..

Ford tech, I agree about the sulfur smell but there is more to it then that. There is exhaust fumes that are entering the vehicle and that is more the problem then the sulfur smell.

What's interesting is that it doesn't affect every vehicle. I'm assuming it's driving style that's a major factor.

What's interesting is that it doesn't affect every vehicle. I'm assuming it's driving style that's a major factor.

I know.. it's very rare but still an issue. I know on my Explorer when it is cold out and you have the white exhaust, you can't see out the back window because of how badly the aerodynamics swirl it back towards the tailgate and cover the whole thing.

I think once again the media is playing this up to make it seem like a bigger problem then it is. One member on the Explorer forum was getting 4-6ppm of CO coming in during hard acceleration.

Or manufacturing variations. Remember the Ford Edge water leaks due to a bad seam sealer application?

The 11-16 Explorers have this as well. Several areas.. seems cracking on roof rack and water makes its way in down the 3rd row seat belts filling up the spare tire well. Carpets become saturated, musty...

Other location is up front on the floor.. typically a clogged moonroof drain up front.

Have had a few on the 2nd row seat belt area too but majority of them are 3rd row.

No issues with the redesign of the roof rack on the 16-17 yet so it is a good sign but a design flaw is a design flaw and Ford is really sticking to customers that are outside the 3/36.