'19 Ranger Spied Testing

It's a Ranger mule, with the camo not cut at the seam.

Bronco mules will be out there... Soon.

These could be Bronco or Ranger mules. There is not way to tell.

Mules generally means it is a drivetrain development vehicle using current model body works. Ford for whatever reason decided to camo these T6 Rangers but they could have been testing them in plain sight without camo in Australia and we wouldn't even know the difference.

Bronco prototype may be out soon. That's when you will see something resembling a SUV under camo.

While the frontend of that rendering needs a little more attention and IMO the overall design looks like a Ridgeline on steroids I actually like it better than the current T6. The T6 is a little too bulbous and not all that truck-like when compared to the F-150. I'm not sure it is even possible to put an F-150 type frontend on the current body and not have it look like it was thrown together. A half-assed effort would be a shame considering the amount of time they have had to sort this out.

It's amazing, isn't it? I'm surprised we don't see more of these, considering the number of parts on each vehicle they file for.

Some interesting notes about what I saw and was trying to compare it to the existing model.....

-The front edge of the hood seems more horizontal - meaning the existing model seems to have slightly more of a cutout for the grille than this patent shows, and the parts outside the grille cutout are flat, whereas the current model angles upward.

-The design itself is more sculpted/scalloped and muscular

-The cut line from the side seems much deeper in the front than the current model.

---

These differences point at least to a different front end for our model, if not a complete redesign of the truck, as we have speculated.

When I get a chance, I'll try to do a side-by-side of the old and the new to show what I'm referring to.

Edited by rmc523

Hmm, good catch! Yeah, it looks like that's what it is to me too.

Interesting to note that it was filed for August 28th, 2015!! and only yesterday was granted.

I actually have my name on a patent. It was for the design of a series of castings used inside steam generating boilers for the electric utility industry. The time frame between filing and receiving the patent was about the same.

I also did a patent application for another design that I created for a new type of water cooled slag tap opening in the furnace floor of a boiler. In my mind that one was more significant than the other because it was a more successful design that was actually incorporated as an upgrade into several operating units but for some reason the company never pursued the patent. The application included several sketches and 3D models of the design as well as before and after photos of the design in operation. I also had to include reasons for the design such as what operating conditions it was intended to improve upon. It was an interesting process.

• Like 1

I think that this will do GM's head in when they realize that global Ranger has one face and North America get another

Why do you say that? Would it be more efficient to build one truck with unique styling and equipment for different markets rather than two completely different trucks the way GM and Toyota do it? Although I have read that the Holden Colorado shares it's roof and door panels with the Chevy version but not much else.

Why do you say that? Would it be more efficient to build one truck with unique styling and equipment for different markets rather than two completely different trucks the way GM and Toyota do it? Although I have read that the Holden Colorado shares it's roof and door panels with the Chevy version but not much else.

Depends on what has changed...cosmetic changes are normally not that expensive to do. How you save money is sharing harnesses, safety cells, etc that would require additional engineering in other parts of the world that can be used world wide. Your really not going save that much money using the same stampings since you still have to cut them in their respective regions.