Last manual column-shift US cars?

My John Deere is a hydrostat. That way I can cut grass, run the loader, use the 3 point tiller, talk on the cell phone, AND eat a donut, all at the same time! Good thing it has cruise control! :)

Hydrostatic drive is for lawn mowers. My cruise control is the hand throttle. ;)

While I will admit that technology is great you can't dismiss the fact that everything on my 21 year old tractor still functions like new and I won't have to take it back to the dealer if the cruise control fails.

Hydrostatic drive is for lawn mowers. My cruise control is the hand throttle. ;)

While I will admit that technology is great you can't dismiss the fact that everything on my 21 year old tractor still functions like new and I won't have to take it back to the dealer if the cruise control fails.

I admit, my JD is used more for a lawn mower than anything else, but let me tell ya, that 31HP diesel is awesome cutting through tall, thick grass! :)

And I only use cruise control when tilling my garden. It's almost impossible to keep a slow, steady speed.

As far as Ford is concerned, the last manual column shift was probably the 1986 F100/F150 with a 300 I-6 and 3 on the column. They are quite rare, however.

For the 1987 model year, the interiors were changed and the new steering column was not designed for the column shifter.

As a footnote, I bought one of the last ever manual transmission 2010 Ford Super Duty trucks, special ordered with a 6 speed manual.

Edited by FordManBrad

Later than that I had a Falcon Pick up (FG series 2 ute) with column auto.

Lionel was asking about column shift manuals, though.

I wonder if you could get column shift manuals on the E-150 back in the day? Can't remember if the owner's manual in the family van had that diagram in it. We had a floor shift 4-speed; thing had throws that were like a foot and a half.

I admit, my JD is used more for a lawn mower than anything else, but let me tell ya, that 31HP diesel is awesome cutting through tall, thick grass! :)

31hp isn't enough to cut the grass I have to cut. 48hp of Massey-Ferguson diesel (with a right-hand shifter) driving a mower-conditioner gets the job done, but I can't get out of low range on the transmission...

31hp isn't enough to cut the grass I have to cut. 48hp of Massey-Ferguson diesel (with a right-hand shifter) driving a mower-conditioner gets the job done, but I can't get out of low range on the transmission...

Use a smaller mower-conditioner. ;)

Or just cut it more often! :P

Edited by fordmantpw

• 1 month later...

Fun!!

Thanks for digging up those snippets. I've long had a soft spot for Peugeots, which is probably because of their headlights and their quirky/expensive kitchen gadgets.

I had no idea the Trabants were not made of metal, although, in retrospect, it doesn't seem surprising.

The frame was I think, but the panels were recycled surplus cotton waste from the Soviet union, combined with resins and dyes. When the wall broke, they got floor shift and a VW Polo 4-stroke engine, but after decades of being forced to drive them, I guess they wanted West German cars instead...