Last manual column-shift US cars?

Try this:

http://autoweek.com/article/classic-cars/new-detroit-trucks-3-tree-column-shift-manuals-1986-yes

Everything else I could find says the 1987 GM half-ton pickups were the last vehicles built in the US with manual trans and "three-on-the-tree".

However, there were also some foreign taxis, etc. built after that that had column shift manual trans and some were even 4 and 5 speeds.

There were also supposedly some Canadian built 1981 Chevy Malibus built for the Iraqi government with 3-speeds but the order got cancelled and they were sold in Canada to the general public.

The only one I ever owned was a '68 289 Bronco.

I know the F-Series carried three-onna-tree into the '70s; my dad's '70 F-100 has it. I don't know if any of the cars did; my guess is that column-shifting went out with 3-speed manual transmissions. FWIW, my '66 Galaxie 500 has three-onna-tree, so I'd guess that the Galaxie/LTD was Ford's last car with it.

FWIW, it looks like Ford ended production of the 3-speed Toploader in '73, so my guess is that you won't find and three-onna-tree Fords after '73. (Wikipedia indicates that the 3-speed Toploader was available in the LTD, but I didn't see a mention of which years in a quick scan. Also, it's Wikipedia, so take that for what it's worth.)

The Wikipedia article also says that the Toploaders were used in Chebbie trucks, vans, and Suburbans from '76-'82, so you might see if any of them had column-shift manuals (I'd guess the vans would be the best bet).

Yeah in Australia it was available throughout the 1980s in the Ford Falcon, all the way up to the 1991 XF ute and panel van. I also discovered this by flicking through my mum's XE owner's manual.

Later than that I had a Falcon Pick up (FG series 2 ute) with column auto.

they were made all the way up to when the commercial version was cancelled

at the end of 2015.

This was my baby brand new in late 2013

3_zpsde7c5095.jpg

4_zps35e066c2.jpg

1_zpsf9b79bc2.jpg

6_zps8379089e.jpg

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

so far for my list I've found 1980's Fiat Ducato, a Mercedes W124 taxi special they made, Japanese Nissan Cedric and Toyota Comfort taxis made up until 1999, Toyota HiAce, 1987 Chev/GMC truck, XF Falcon. Do any ultra car nerd out there know of any other semi-contemporary manuals that were built anywhere in the world?

Wouldn't be any different from a left hand floor shifter

My '96 Kubota L2900 tractor is left hand shift. ;)

Forward and reverse on the column with two separate levers, one for the four-speed trans and another for "Rabbit" and "Turtle" ranges on the "floor", all of which are available in forward or reverse and left hand operated. Oh, and there's also a floor shift lever for 4-wheel/two-wheel drive and a foot operated lever for the locking rear differential. Separate levers also control the throttle, the frontend loader bucket, the rear 3-point hitch and the center and rear PTOs. Also separate pedals for throttle, brakes and clutch.

All hands (and feet) on deck and turn off the damn cell phone! :doh:

My '96 Kubota L2900 tractor is left hand shift. ;)

Forward and reverse on the column with two separate levers, one for the four-speed trans and another for "Rabbit" and "Turtle" ranges on the "floor", all of which are available in forward or reverse and left hand operated. Oh, and there's also a floor shift lever for 4-wheel/two-wheel drive and a foot operated lever for the locking rear differential. Separate levers also control the throttle, the frontend loader bucket, the rear 3-point hitch and the center and rear PTOs. Also separate pedals for throttle, brakes and clutch.

All hands (and feet) on deck and turn off the damn cell phone! :doh:

My John Deere is a hydrostat. That way I can cut grass, run the loader, use the 3 point tiller, talk on the cell phone, AND eat a donut, all at the same time! Good thing it has cruise control! :)