Ford Fusion with 2017 GT Engine

Since the 3.5 Ecoboost from the 2017 GT is available, and there isn't likely a Taurus SHO successor, wouldn't it be great if Ford created a new performance sedan combining the two? With teh Focus RS' GKN differential it would be a great handler, too. Especially since we just lost a performance sedan icon down under, too (sob :'( )

http://performancedrive.com.au/top-10-engine-conversion-ideas-production-cars-vol-2-1617/

post-48594-0-89899500-1484553028_thumb.jpg

Sadly Ford Australia passed on the 2.7 TTV6 Mondeo because they thought it was a hard business case to justify...

https://www.motormag.com.au/news/1612/ford-aus-passes-on-xr6-turbo-replacement
Ford Australia has blamed Australian buyers for its decision not to import the spiritual replacement for the Falcon XR6 Turbo, a 2.7-litre twin-turbo V6 sedan called the Fusion.

Speaking at a media event this week in Melbourne, Ford Australia president and CEO Graeme Whickman confessed that the Michigan, US-made version of our European-built Mondeo was not considered due to projected low demand.

The forced six-cylinder produces 242kW of power and 475Nm of torque, which closes in on the discontinued 270kW/533Nm 4.0-litre turbo Falcon and could eclipse it for outright performance thanks to its all-wheel drive traction.

Ford Fusion XR6 sport rearAsked whether Falcon fans could have an interest in driving the twin-turbo Fusion, Whickman replied: “They [Falcon fans] may have an interest, but at the same time we’re looking at our line-up and making sure the complexity isn’t too much.”

He further called the twin-turbo V6 performance version “a tough business proposition.”

“You have to make sure you have the demand to support the business proposition, and the demand is quite small,” he added, before comparing demand for a performance four-door sedan to that of Ford’s iconic two-door coupe.

“As opposed to the Ford Mustang where we will be number one or two in the world for right-hand drive in the world.

I understand [Mondeo] is not a V6, it’s an I4 [inline four-cylinder], and maybe that’s something that they’re searching there.
Ford V6 Ecoboost engine“If they want [a performance version] maybe they go to Mustang, but it’s a little bit of a challenge for us and our range because we’ve been loading it up over the past 12 months, vehicle after vehicle, and at some point you have to be careful about how many derivatives.”

When it was indicated that V8-engined Commodores now represent over one-third of the Holden’s volume, and that might suggest there is interest from buyers for a fast four-door, Whickman explained that the large car segment now represents around 3.0 per cent of the market. The four-cylinder medium class Mondeo is in represents 7.0 per cent.

“One-third potentially of that [large car] segment, at most, so 1.0 per cent … think about the viability,” he said.

Ford Fusion XR6 sport interior But the boss of the company refused to say that the Fusion was not available to Ford Australia if they wanted it. Even a name-change from Mondeo to Fusion “does represent an opportunity if we felt it was important.”

“When we thought about this we didn’t think the Mondeo versus the Fusion was going to be a polarising positive or negative,” he added.

Only the US-built Fusion is available with all-wheel drive and the twin-turbo V6. Our European-sourced Mondeo continues to be a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol or diesel proposition, as is available in Australia.

Edited by jpd80

The Fusion chassis can't take more than 400 or so hp. I know you guys like your 4 door V8 supercars but it's not really feasible.

If CD6 turns out to be RWD as suspected then you might see a new 4 door RWD sedan that could take the power but that's still up in the air and a long way off.

It would have significantly more power and a better AWD system. If it incorporated elements from the 800lb-lighter Fusion Lightweight Concept then it could be... In any case I wish Ford investigated this type of car, it would be popular I think.

Given the way the sedan market overall is going, your better off seeing the GT engine in the Explorer/Edge/Bronco instead. Then again technically the Explorer Sport does have a version of it :)

The Fusion Lightweight concept is pie-in-the-sky tech. It has plastic windows in it that wouldn't hold up to every day usage and would become scratched much more easier then glass would be.

It would have significantly more power and a better AWD system. If it incorporated elements from the 800lb-lighter Fusion Lightweight Concept then it could be... In any case I wish Ford investigated this type of car, it would be popular I think.

Lionel, you're asking FoA to look at vehicles that haven't even been developed for other markets,

that would be nearly as expensive as developing another Falcon - not happening anytime soon.

Look, Ford Australia reviews the business case regularly for what vehicles it can afford to have there,

remember that each version as an opportunity cost and that "nice to have" dose not necessarily mean

that those former XR6 turbo buyers would even be interested..and that's the big issue in all of this,

Ford is not prepared to try a new vehicle if those former Falcon buyers would still disregard it.

There's probably no money at the bottom of "nice to have" cars in the showroom which is sad because

I see the Chinese CD4 Taurus developed in Geelong as the spiritual successor to Falcon but because

of deep runnng prejudice, local buyers would never give it a fair go.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

There's probably no money at the bottom of "nice to have" cars in the showroom which is sad because

I see the Chinese CD4 Taurus developed in Geelong as the spiritual successor to Falcon but because

of deep runnng prejudice, local buyers would never give it a fair go.

The REALLY sad part about that is that the CD4 Taurus is probably closer in execution to the Falcon than the Insignia is to the Commodore i.e I think the Taurus could more easily be re-badged and accepted as a Falcon than the Insignia will be as a Commodore.