2018 Expedition Production Information

ice-capades

It's not even the issue that is the most absurd - I think reasonable people can understand that issues arise with vehicles...it's how the issues are handled. A customer at 70k mi with paint bubbling off his $45k+ ride walking in and being met with abject horror of the situation from the stealership folks and an immediate handling - at not cost to the customer - with a like sized free rental is a real positive experience. I dare say it goes beyond even having the issue in the first place since the customer feels taken care of by Ford (that's a Ford sign the stealership has out front).

A customer at 70k mi with paint bubbling off his $45k+ ride walking in and being told, 'Well sorry there moneysource, looks like you're past the magical 3yr/36k so jokes on you, we'll fix it at a few thousand cost to you, btw, when you're ready to get ready for your next expensive ride, you'll be happy to come back and get @ssf*cked by Ford again right? Oh yeah, please make sure when anything auto related comes up with friends/family/online that you don't relate your joke failure of a customer experience here so others won't know how horribly the rich Execs at Ford f*cked you ok?' is going to walk away with a far different view of future Ford purchasing than the former.

Which costs Ford more in the long run?

Which costs Ford more in the long run?

Probably extending the warranty to 70K which is why they haven't done it.

I'm a very literal person so I take warranties at face value. If the company tells me the warranty is 3/36K then that's all I expect. If I want more coverage I have the option of purchasing it. I can't stand it when people don't buy extended warranties then bitch because Ford doesn't cover something. If you want coverage buy it - if you don't buy it then don't bitch about it. So I never EXPECT the mfr to cover anything outside the published warranty.

If they do then that's great and they're going above and beyond. But some people expect an unlimited time and mileage warranty where Ford should fix anything that goes wrong and that's just not reasonable.

It does sound absurd but it only seems to be affecting a tiny percentage of vehicles, otherwise we'd be hearing more about it.

I suspect this issue is greater than anticipated. I'll bet there are several people who experience this problem but don't try to rectify it with the dealership. I traded My Expedition with bubbling paint on the tailgate before I did anything with it. I do see quite a few Expeditions and Mustangs with issues. Regardless of the warranty I just don't think the paint should peel off at 50,000 miles. Clearly there was an underlying issue.

It IS covered under warranty... it is covered under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper. The "perforation" is in regards to the rust warranty and yes, it is NOT covered under this one. If you find it happening within the 3/36, Ford will either repaint or replace/repaint at their discretion.

Well we are BOTH correct depending on which model year !

From the 2016MY Warranty Guide, page 11.

If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

The 2012MY Warranty Guide is SILENT on this specific topic, meaning IT IS NOT COVERED !

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

bubbling on aluminum hoods isn't exclusive to new production vehicles...I had front end damage to my 2006 Mustang and they replaced the hood on it and I had the stereotypical paint bubbling under the hood where the front seam met the front lip of the hood. It was like that for 10 years and never spread or had additional damage to the car.

IMO not a big deal if its not visible on the external parts of the car.

• Like 1

I have never ordered a vehicle before. Do you pay MSRP or do some dealerships negotiate?

There is an X-plan pin requests section on this forum, if you don't already have access to a pin, you ought to give that a try. It's nice not having to haggle with the stealership...

• Like 1

There is an X-plan pin requests section on this forum, if you don't already have access to a pin, you ought to give that a try. It's nice not having to haggle with the stealership...

Just realize the retail orders for the 2018 Expedition won't be scheduled for production until after the "OK to Buy" status is reached which is normally about 6 weeks after the Job #1 date. With a new model that date can be even later.