Ford Bronco will ride again, says CEO Mark Fields at Detroit auto show

According to Ford's own press conference and Press Release, the Ranger is just a facelift of the Ranger sold globally so the conversion is very minor. It will feature a new face and US-specific drivetrains which explains why we haven't seen any road-worthy evidence of development going on in Dearborn this close to production. I'm pretty sure the hold up is just freeing up the manufacturing space in the US to make it.

No, that is not exactly what Joe Hinrichs said.

" Today, we are proud to announce that Ranger is coming back to North America in 2019.

with unique front styling, engines and features and production will begin late next year

at our Michigan Assembly plant. Range fans have spoken and Ford is delivering."

The late inclusion of Everest in the last two years suggests that T6 is continuing but will evolve

as it takes on board improvements in technology but yes, weight reduction strategy is still

a big question mark...when you look at a body on frame construction, the strategies for

possible weight reduction are greater than those for a unitary build......

Edited by jpd80

" Today, we are proud to announce that Ranger is coming back to North America in 2019.

with unique front styling, engines and features and production will begin late next year

The late inclusion of Everest in the last two years suggests that T6 is continuing but will evolve

as it takes on board improvements in technology but yes, weight reduction strategy is still

a big question mark...when you look at a body on frame construction, the strategies for

Yeah, unique front styling can just mean it has a different front end here in the US compared to global models. Which doesn't necessarily mean a refreshed model....though it could; but I see that as unlikely, and still am of the opinion that it'll be an all new vehicle alongside a completely unique (not rebadged Everest) Bronco.

Expanding the styling thought, the existing global Ranger seems more softly styled compared to the F-Series trucks. So extrapolating that to this coming model, his quote could mean that global models will retain that softer look up front, while US/NA models will get a design more in line with the "tough" F-series look.

Edited by rmc523

Actually...that's exactly what I said. Facelift and new engines...what did I get wrong?

As for lightweight, that can't be done without a complete redesign and it's actually far more complex because the you can't making the frame lighter. I think the bigger issue is that the Ranger is on the small side compared to the competition. So heavier and smaller isn't a great combo.

Edited by BORG

TTAC says more likely the Bronco will be a Toyota 4 Runner competitor, not a 'retro' 2 door. Car hobbyists will complain, as usual, but then 4 doors are what sell, for profits.

I so hope they are wrong on this, otherwise Jeep (assuming they are still sound) will be getting my money.

TTAC says more likely the Bronco will be a Toyota 4 Runner competitor, not a 'retro' 2 door. Car hobbyists will complain, as usual, but then 4 doors are what sell, for profits.

Toyota 4Runner sells like hotcakes around these parts. 4Runner sales growing nationally to be pretty formidable. I despise that vehicle, the way the headlights bulge out of the fenders like some unwanted freakish growth...but the Toyota fanboys (and girls) love it.

• Like 1

I'll add my fuel to the fire. Talking to a usually reliable source at MAP, was told the Everest will be a future third vehicle for the plant. Will depend alot on the success of Ranger and Bronco. Hopefully this rings true. A rebadge Everest as a Bronco would be a waste.

My hopes would be:

Bronco goes back to it original roots. 2 and 4 door removable hardtop, removable doors not a deal breaker. Regular models front IFS suspension. Would be great for most who will just cruise to beach and never go off road. SVT version solid front axle and coilovers on all 4 corners. Will be what the true off roaders will want. To me that would be a great start to a Jeep Wrangler killer.

Yeah, the AMA guy was full of shit (any BOF regular should have known that already).

Ford is on the record today saying that the Bronco, while based on the Ranger platform, is completely different than Everest. Totally separate products.

When did they say that?

• Like 1

That's what I'm thinking Kev-Mo, the Everest /Endeavour name are only know to a few buyers in Asia,

if the name was switched to "Bronco" take up would be much better globally, a stronger face would also help..

Since Ranger is second in global mid sized truck sales, I think the supposed weight issue is not a factor

to all those buyers in the rest of the world where fuel is even more expensive...

I wonder what Ford is up to with engines for North America, I know Ford Australia built two Ranger mules with 2.0 Ecoboost years ago

under the original T6 project as attribute prototypes for a Falcon sedan 2.0 Ecoboost version, so maybe that work is revisited for Nth America.

Personally, I would see the 2.3 Ecoboost as being a better fit for Nth America while avoiding the need for a V6 but maybe sharing existing

engines available with F150 is the key here (3.3 V6 or 2.7 EB?)....

Edited by jpd80

That still does not mean that Ranger and Bronco will be built on just slightly warmed over versions of the 2010 truck..

That would be giving Ford zero credit for evolving the design over the past six years, eight by the time they arrive....

So I wonder if Bronco will get Everest's Watts Link Rear Suspension or Ranger's Leaf Springs.....

Edited by jpd80

I do have to say that the chatter about the Bronco and Ranger on the Internet is almost at the same level that a new/refreshed Mustang is at. That's a good thing...plus people have to get out of their Debbie downer outlook with Ford...they've been hitting out the park for the past 10 years with products that fans see as important.

That still does not mean that Ranger and Bronco will be built on just slightly warmed over versions of the 2010 truck..

That would be giving Ford zero credit for evolving the design over the past six years, eight by the time they arrive....

So I wonder if Bronco will get Everest's Watts Link Rear Suspension or Ranger's Leaf Springs.....

If anything, I think it is a big indication that both will be all new.

• Like 1

I would be interested in a Ranger XLT Supercab for less than $30K. The equivalent F150 was in the $32K - $35K range. After rebates.

That's what I paid for my 2014 XLT supercab 3.5 Ecoboost with leather and HD headlights. Was ~$43, and I got it down to ~$31.5 with zplan and other discounts.