New Ford 7.0 L....?

54 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

I asked this question before ...

Do the old 2 speed Eaton (?) rear axles exist and does anyone use them ?  It would seem like a good option on a F750 tractor used for beverage delivery or other heavy delivery, especially when paired with the 6.8L.

Dana / Spicer makes 'em...
http://www.dana.com/commercial-vehicles/products/driveline/drive-axles/s590

image.png.8518b15c3c396272b180f4ad998a2095.png

Edited by twintornados

3 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

Do the old 2 speed Eaton (?) rear axles exist and does anyone use them ?  It would seem like a good option on a F750 tractor used for beverage delivery or other heavy delivery, especially when paired with the 6.8L.

Well my first thought was-yes-two speeds are a 650/750 option.  then I went to see if I had an order guide to double check and I have a 2017 750 diesel order guide.  Under "axles, suspension"  it does NOT list a two speed axle.  However , in typical Ford commercial truck fashion, there is a page with axle ratios and it lists available two speeds!

Then again in typical Ford fashion, as you can't get a manual transmission, if in fact it is still available, it is IMO a "loaded/empty" ratio.  Having driven many a mile with a 5/2 combination, with a load I drove like I had a 10 speed Road Ranger-splitting every gear-at least on the way up.

With an automatic, a less useable feature-other than as I said, a "loaded/empty" option or an "off road/on road" option

Not sure if Ice Capades has downloaded new 650/750 order guides???

10 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

We use 550's for 1.5 yd. dumps, pipeline welder, and industrial meter/regulator service trucks.  Most (particularly the dumps) run around pretty heavy, but we don't tow much with them.  We have a lot of skid-steers, but we favor the larger Caterpillar models.  They weigh close to 7,500#'s, with trailer and tools the total is well over 10,000#'s, so driver needs a class A CDL.  Since that is the case, our policy is that skid-steers or anything larger needs to be towed with at least a 5 yard class 7 dump.

Well in any case glad to hear you have had no Torqueshift issues.  Plenty of 550s around here that are fleet maintenance trucks set up with a 100 gal + diesel tank, welder, and hydraulic crane -and a pintle hook!  Not in a proper corporate world like you are in so you can bet these things are frequently over the limit.

By the way, you guys getting any "guidance" from your corporate safety people after the disaster we had up here in Mass, in September when gas co. overpressurized their lines?  NTSB this week announced the cause was an inexperienced engineer who oversaw a line replacement project had failed to consider impact of pulling pressure sensor on a line that was being replaced.  When the sensor was disconnected, the control center detected a drop and immediately boosted line pressure with unbelievable results in three towns.

10 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I wonder how many drivers are left that know how to properly use a split axle? 

36 minutes ago, 351cid said:

I wonder how many drivers are left that know how to properly use a split axle? 

How about the bigger question?  How many know what the third peddle is?  Talking to an older guy who drives for one of the large independent lumber yards here in New England-they probably have 6 + locations.  Their new tandem/triaxle trucks are all Allisons-most new class 2 drivers have never driven anything but!  Not sure about other states but here in MA if a guy takes his road test on an automatic, his license has a restriction-"automatic Trans only!

20 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

How about the bigger question?  How many know what the third peddle is?  Talking to an older guy who drives for one of the large independent lumber yards here in New England-they probably have 6 + locations.  Their new tandem/triaxle trucks are all Allisons-most new class 2 drivers have never driven anything but!  Not sure about other states but here in MA if a guy takes his road test on an automatic, his license has a restriction-"automatic Trans only!

I had to renew my commercial license here in VA last week. On the application, there was a box marked "Automatic Transmission Only". 

I think CDL is federal, therefore it's in every state. 

4 minutes ago, 351cid said:

I had to renew my commercial license here in VA last week. On the application, there was a box marked "Automatic Transmission Only". 

I think CDL is federal, therefore it's in every state. 

Good point-had not thought about that-then again, I would imagine if a state wanted to be MORE restrictive, they could??

On 11/17/2018 at 10:40 AM, Bob Rosadini said:

By the way, you guys getting any "guidance" from your corporate safety people after the disaster we had up here in Mass, in September when gas co. overpressurized their lines?  NTSB this week announced the cause was an inexperienced engineer who oversaw a line replacement project had failed to consider impact of pulling pressure sensor on a line that was being replaced.  When the sensor was disconnected, the control center detected a drop and immediately boosted line pressure with unbelievable results in three towns.

I know we sent people.  What a tragedy.  I believe there are some differences in how we handle pressure control.   

On 11/17/2018 at 1:29 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Then again in typical Ford fashion, as you can't get a manual transmission, if in fact it is still available, ...

Manual transmission was NEVER an option in this generation F650/750.  Ford has not made any truck with a manual in SEVERAL years.

The new 10Rxxx (replacement to the 6R140) could be a "game changer" when paired with the new 7.xL gasser for the F650/750.  Clearly Hackett has put them both on the slow train.

14 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

Manual transmission was NEVER an option in this generation F650/750.  Ford has not made any truck with a manual in SEVERAL years.

The new 10Rxxx (replacement to the 6R140) could be a "game changer" when paired with the new 7.xL gasser for the F650/750.  Clearly Hackett has put them both on the slow train.

That would have been Fields actually. 

4 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I know that manuals disappeared on 650/750 when production moved to  Avon Lake from the JV.  The question is/was, ..is a two speed rear still available??   And if it is, just out of curiosity,  I would assume the control is on the dash as the gear shift is no longer on the floor.  

Ice Capades-if you are reading this thread could you please download latest 650/750 order guide?  Thx

Oh and back to manual, they did offer the 8 LL Roadranger for at least one year in the  Bluediamond era-that means there was at least one guy in commercial marketing who was a truck guy?

10 minutes ago, CGIron said:

Back to an old question.  As Ford's use of CGI has been growing over the past several years. Both the 6.7L Powerstroke V8 diesel and the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 petrol feature CGI blocks. Is there any  possibility for Ford to cast this new 7.3L block in strong, light-weight, CGI? Are there any signs of new machining lines?

That link has been posted before and is a pure speculation piece from earlier this year....

15 minutes ago, CGIron said:

I think if it´s going to be multi purpose, to Superduty trucks and high performance Mustangs and Raptors

It's not.

15 minutes ago, CGIron said:

The estimated production numbers at 125.000 annually are to big for just being used by  Super Dutys 

It will go in Super Duty and medium duty, motor home.  125k is not too big for that.

Why don't you try posting something other than CGI BS all the freaking time!  I see this from you on every automotive forum I'm on, and it's getting a little ridiculous.  You're not helping to drive the Sintercast stock price up, just give up dude.  Geez!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

...Why don't you try posting something other than CGI BS all the freaking time!  I see this from you on every automotive forum I'm on, and it's getting a little ridiculous.  You're not helping to drive the Sintercast stock price up, just give up dude.  Geez!

Well, his user name is CGIron...???

• Haha 1

The article posted by CG Iron was debunked quite a few months ago and  the pictures in the article the old 385 series engine.

Stick with the 7.3 just replacing the 6.8 V10 and you're on safe ground, anything beyond that is just wild speculation.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I know that manuals disappeared on 650/750 when production moved to  Avon Lake from the JV.  The question is/was, ..is a two speed rear still available??   And if it is, just out of curiosity,  I would assume the control is on the dash as the gear shift is no longer on the floor.  

Ice Capades-if you are reading this thread could you please download latest 650/750 order guide?  Thx

Oh and back to manual, they did offer the 8 LL Roadranger for at least one year in the  Bluediamond era-that means there was at least one guy in commercial marketing who was a truck guy?

Found a 2018 brochure.  A 2 speed IS listed but at a 21,000 lb rating.  Single speeds are offered also in 23,000 and 26,000 lb ratings.  Can't understand why they would offer a 2 speed in only a 21,000.???

On 11/19/2018 at 11:36 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Found a 2018 brochure.  A 2 speed IS listed but at a 21,000 lb rating.  Single speeds are offered also in 23,000 and 26,000 lb ratings.  Can't understand why they would offer a 2 speed in only a 21,000.???

Back to question raised by Ol'Wiz, thx to Ice-Capades looked at order guides he posted today.  2-speed axles no longer listed.  I will say however that some pretty good options noted.  Like pre drilled frame holes in event buyer wants either an EZ Trac hydraulic drive front axle or an old school Meritor driving front end.  Also pre drilled frames for fifth wheel installations.

1 hour ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

I worked at the Chatham Navistar plant in the late '90s building Class 8 premium conventional trucks, working in the axle mount and frame lines. I never saw any hydraulic assist front axles. Are they fairly new?

I have never seen one but go to EZ Trac's website- good explanation.  concept makes sense to me.  Don't know if there is a speed restriction on them vs. a conventional-transfer case/front axle differential unit.  My town has a new Rosenbauer pumper that is 4 wd.  Unit sits low to ground, you would never guess it has a driving front axle-my guess is this has a hydraulic unit.  Don't know how long they have been available for on highway large trucks but I would imagine a lot of experience has been gained with off road construction equipment like boom lifts.

1 hour ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

I worked at the Chatham Navistar plant in the late '90s building Class 8 premium conventional trucks, working in the axle mount and frame lines. I never saw any hydraulic assist front axles. Are they fairly new?

Just had another thought on this-if my memory is correct how about it 7M3-I do believe you had commented a while back about some experience with these hydraulic units-or am I confusing this with something I read elsewhere?

10 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I have never seen one but go to EZ Trac's website- good explanation.  concept makes sense to me.  Don't know if there is a speed restriction on them vs. a conventional-transfer case/front axle differential unit.  My town has a new Rosenbauer pumper that is 4 wd.  Unit sits low to ground, you would never guess it has a driving front axle-my guess is this has a hydraulic unit.  Don't know how long they have been available for on highway large trucks but I would imagine a lot of experience has been gained with off road construction equipment like boom lifts.

10 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Just had another thought on this-if my memory is correct how about it 7M3-I do believe you had commented a while back about some experience with these hydraulic units-or am I confusing this with something I read elsewhere?

9 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I have heard about hydraulic drive axles, but have not seen any yet.

All good discussion...over on the "light and medium truck" thread..... has anyone heard ANY news on the new 7X motor out of Windsor??