New Ford 7.0 L....?

Keep in mind guys, that the 460 was handicapped by Ford abandoning racing in mid 1970. Fortunately, the 429 was somewhat developed.

We have a 78 year model 460 out of an F-250 bored & stroked to 513 cubes. It will spin 6000 rpm almost all day and makes 600 hp without power adders.

This engine is going to be something regardless of what the doubters think. 

If hot rodders weren’t willing to blaze a trail the Flathead Ford would have been a mere footnote in automobile history. Instead it’s the cornerstone of hot rodding!

The Flathead Ford has 3 mains, 4 ring pistons and limited breathing yet there it is, still a favorite of traditional crowd. 

A big inch pushrod V8 with a sturdy block and descent cylinder heads will be hot rodded regardless of what anyone thinks. 

• Like 1

99% of 429/460 engines use the same exact heads for their year.
CJ/SCJ, Boss429 (block and heads different), and Police Interceptor are the exceptions.

460 was available in F100-F350 in 2 wheel drive models 73-79 and was the same engine available in the cars of the same year. 460 was always 4bbl. some 429 were 2bbl.

We regularly build 460s in the 450hp/550tq range on regular ol' cast iron d3ve or d0ve heads (trucks and passenger cars).

Granted we aren't concerned about emissions or fuel economy (though we do average 12-14 out of the 460s we build)... but to say a big cube engine can't be made into a performance engine because it was designed for trucks is pretty silly. You're likely a cam and spring package away from some pretty healthy numbers and rpm with this thing.

All that said, it's not going to happen from the factory with coyote around.

9 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

All that said, it's not going to happen from the factory with coyote around.

That was really my point.  If you were going to build this for high HP in a car, wouldn't it be a helluva lot easier to start with the Coyote as opposed to a big, heavy, truck engine?

If you were going to look for a marathon runner for your marathon team, would you start looking for a body builder who can bench press a small car?

Just now, fordmantpw said:

That was really my point.  If you were going to build this for high HP in a car, wouldn't it be a helluva lot easier to start with the Coyote as opposed to a big, heavy, truck engine?

If you were going to look for a marathon runner for your marathon team, would you start looking for a body builder who can bench press a small car?

Depends if you're trying to turn or not I guess lol. This engine might make sense to the 1/4 mile guys if there ends up being any aftermarket support. I do agree coyote will be better in most circumstances though.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, SoonerLS said:

Ford Performance doesn't even offer the 6.2, so I wouldn't be holding my breath on the 7.3. 

It was only a suggestion that the only way we’d see a 7.3 outside of a  truck would be the applications I mentioned, the 7.3 might be a way of retiring the big Windsor 460 or not.....

@evanjsmith wrote...Yes, it fits! First look at a 7.3L Godzilla in a Foxbody. At 445 cubic inches, is this the next LS killer we’ve all been waiting for? Stay tuned for more on this swap, including info on the install kit. Video coming soon on my YouTube: search REVan Evan and please Subscribe. _______________ #godzilla #revanevan #superduty#foxbody #ford #fox #stang #revanmedia#evanjsmithphoto #stanglife #moretocome #fordtrucks#engineswap #nols #coyote

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dave91gt said:

Beat me to it. Evan Smith has already started swapping one before its even released to the public. Tell me Ford isn't behind the scenes on this one? That fits in there as easy as the Windsor in my own FoxBody.

There’s quite a few Foxbodies running around with Coyotes under the hood, so fitting the 7.3 shouldn’t be hard. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why would you want to do this when you can get 700+ from a base coyote with an easy bolt on supercharger?  Just to prove it can be done?

Short answer, yes. If you look at the pictures, that fits a lot easier than a coyote. You can supercharge a 7.3 too.

Why shouldn't people experiment and push the envelope? Sometimes doing the same thing everyone else does gets boring.

That 7.3 swap makes for interesting thoughts...and I already figure that "enhanced" versions will be at SEMA, so I'm sure that Ford Racing will have some toys to free up some ponies.

If they get headers and other basics figured out for popular applications, the new motor may be a real option for those that aren't all about supercharger whine.

Yes gang, having another engine with upside potential does not set up a zero sum game. There can be the excellent Coyote AND there can be a big inch pushrod V8 for different purposes. 

These things can exist at the same time and they can both be good. Matter of fact the 6.2 Raptor engine has tons of potential as well and could maybe compliment Ford’s lineup. Indmar Marine is hitting home runs with their marinized inboard Raptor 6.2’s. 

It’s good to be a car guy right now. Probably better than ever. 

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Why would you want to do this when you can get 700+ from a base coyote with an easy bolt on supercharger?  Just to prove it can be done?

4 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

Short answer, yes. If you look at the pictures, that fits a lot easier than a coyote. You can supercharge a 7.3 too.

Why shouldn't people experiment and push the envelope? Sometimes doing the same thing everyone else does gets boring.

Because you have assholes putting LS motors into Mustangs because they are cheap...I don't forsee a demand for the 7.3L due to the likely costs of it as a crate motor...its going to take 5-10 years for it be in large amounts in junkyards and well who knows how far along we will be with electrification with cars. 

2 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Yes gang, having another engine with upside potential does not set up a zero sum game. There can be the excellent Coyote AND there can be a big inch pushrod V8 for different purposes. 

These things can exist at the same time and they can both be good. Matter of fact the 6.2 Raptor engine has tons of potential as well and could maybe compliment Ford’s lineup. Indmar Marine is hitting home runs with their marinized inboard Raptor 6.2’s. 

Exactly but you have folks wanting to use them in the same application and it doesn’t make sense.

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Because you have assholes putting LS motors into Mustangs because they are cheap...I don't forsee a demand for the 7.3L due to the likely costs of it as a crate motor...its going to take 5-10 years for it be in large amounts in junkyards and well who knows how far along we will be with electrification with cars. 

LS's are cheap, but they are also plentiful, have great aftermarket support, are extremely durable, and respond very well to performance modifications.  Have to admit it's really about the best all-around V-8 I have ever seen.  The friggin' things are in everything from a Corvette to a UPS truck.  Why wouldn't you want to race one in a Fox Mustang, that combination is fast as hell.

The 7.3L may indeed have a lot of potential,  it's just going to be a bit expensive and we will have to work through the learning curve on it.  Not being factory in performance cars will work against it, but if it has potential the aftermarket will 'discover' it.  Imagine if someone cast an aluminum 7.3L block.........  

11 hours ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

Ford probably commissioned that Foxbody swap car for this year's SEMA show. If it is there, it will be a sign that the 7.3L will get aftermarket support.

They built a 5.0 Cammer-powered RWD Focus for SEMA about 15 years ago, and we saw where that went. 

Don't get me wrong; I think this is very cool, I just don't see it going beyond the one-off stage any time soon, if ever.

9 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

They built a 5.0 Cammer-powered RWD Focus for SEMA about 15 years ago, and we saw where that went. 

Don't get me wrong; I think this is very cool, I just don't see it going beyond the one-off stage any time soon, if ever.

The Coyote is one of the most popular swap engines out there now. They’re available and they make good power and there’s control packs available for them.