New Ford 7.0 L....?

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

If the 6.2 V8 was going away within a few months, don't ya think that Ford would be announcing this and employee transfers?

That depends on what they're doing with Romeo. I can't find current info on what all they're making aside from the 6.2 and the Coyote's blocks and rods (Ford's own page is woefully out of date, still listing the 4.6 and 5.8SC), but the 6.2 may not account for enough volume to warrant announcements or transfers. Between the F150 and Mustang, that's a decent amount of production volume for the Coyote parts--especially if they add the Coyote to the Super Duty line. (Not that I think they will; as much as I love mine, I just don't think it's suited for Super Duty work cycles.)

ETA: Actually, I could see them using a Coyote variant in a Super Duty hybrid...

Edited by SoonerLS

30 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

That depends on what they're doing with Romeo. I can't find current info on what all they're making aside from the 6.2 and the Coyote's blocks and rods (Ford's own page is woefully out of date, still listing the 4.6 and 5.8SC), but the 6.2 may not account for enough volume to warrant announcements or transfers. Between the F150 and Mustang, that's a decent amount of production volume for the Coyote parts--especially if they add the Coyote to the Super Duty line. (Not that I think they will; as much as I love mine, I just don't think it's suited for Super Duty work cycles.)

ETA: Actually, I could see them using a Coyote variant in a Super Duty hybrid...

Romeo builds both of the Shelby engines. 

I am not sure a CGI block would be necessary in this type of engine.  Not under as much stress as a diesel, no significant weight penalty going with cast grey iron.  Probably more expensive to manufacture but no benefit for the customer.  Have heard no rumors about 7X using a CGI block.    

• Like 1

The 6.2 Boss had a plain cast iron block and i suspect that the 7.3 will be the same as both are already significantly lighter than the 6,7 Powerstroke. Cast iron is much easier to machine than CGI making for improved tool life, it's tried and proven low cost low tech.

Edited by jpd80

Boy Ford sure has the lid clamped down tight on this one. How do we still not know what kinda valve train this thing has?

It's also obvious that a smaller gas engine is going to be necessary in F250 at the minimum (and certainly welcome in E series and F350 too). Somebody, somewhere knows if the 6.2 is sticking around or Ford has something else up their sleeve.

41 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Boy Ford sure has the lid clamped down tight on this one. How do we still not know what kinda valve train this thing has?

It's also obvious that a smaller gas engine is going to be necessary in F250 at the minimum (and certainly welcome in E series and F350 too). Somebody, somewhere knows if the 6.2 is sticking around or Ford has something else up their sleeve.

Perhaps the 7.3 is more fuel efficient than the 6.2?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CGIron said:

Well comparing diesel with petrolengines is like comparing apples with pears. The Ford PS 6,7 l V8 diesel  has a compression ratio of 17,7:1  and the Ford Boss petrol V8 6,2 has a ratio of 9,8:1. It´s more relevant to compare with the NASCAR Ford FR9 which has a ratio of 12.0:1 and that´s close for the maximum of sparkignited engines. Block in CGI as most in NASCAR. Time will tell. As Ford nowadays is a frequently user of this material which also has advantages in NVH it´s a candidate for sure. " Flexibility and versatility" Hmm. 

The FR9 block is a good looking lump of iron!

3 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Well right now Ford is killing it in Class A and C motor home use with the V10. Whatever comes next has big shoes to fill. I don’t think GM has the V10 covered with whatever V8 they’re supplying to Workhorse chassis. 

Ford is 'killing it' basically because they have no competition in gas class A motor home chassis.  After Navistar sold Workhorse off, they abandoned motor home chassis and went off on a real tangent pursuing parcel-delivering drones.  Needless to say that has yet to pan out and they are trying to make a go of BEV step van chassis.  Workhorse is also trying to get the USPS contract for the LLV replacement, if they don't get it some say it's all over for them.

By far most of the class A's I see now are diesel pushers on Cummins powered FCCC chassis.

Edited by 7Mary3

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Perhaps the 7.3 is more fuel efficient than the 6.2?

But by the same reasoning, a 5.x engine using the same design/tech that allows such incredible fuel economy in the 7.x would deliver even better fuel economy.

I just can't see Ford telling all F250 buyers they have to get 7.3L engine if they don't want the diesel.

I get the distinct feeling we're still missing a piece of the puzzle.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

6 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

But by the same reasoning, a 5.x engine using the same design/tech that allows such incredible fuel economy in the 7.x would deliver even better fuel economy.

I just can't see Ford telling all F250 buyers they have to get 7.3L engine if they don't want the diesel.

I get the distinct feeling we're still missing a piece of the puzzle.

What if Ram puts their 7.0L in the 2500?

22 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Thanks to someone on the PS.org site, this internal memo says the 2020 SD is getting an all new interior and the 7.3 gas is replacing both the 6.8 and 6.2 motors.

image.thumb.png.dd546fc7432ce03e47de73c14ef12430.png

This letter was posted in August over at FTE. It was quickly determined that this letter was from OHAP as at the time only OHAP was running all 2019 models, KTP was running 2019 F-Series SD and 2018 Expedition and 2018 Navigator at that time. Also...

1. It is HIGHLY unlikely that the 2020 Expedition and Navigator are getting new interiors. It is also highly unlikely that those products will get the 7.3L.
  2. The E-Series and F-Series MD will need interior changes to accommodate the Tech (4GLTE/some aspects of CoPilot360) that it has been announced that all 2020+ Ford products will have. For the E-Series this would likely be a new ICP, ACM and the plastic trim piece that surrounds those. It would also need an electrical architecture upgrade as it currently has one very similar to the 2009-2010 F-150, 2008-2010 SuperDuty and 2007-2014 Expedition. The F-Series MD will likely have to go to the 2013-2016 MFT dash panel (it currently has the "brick" variant) and a ICP with the 4.3" display instead of the currently used 2-line dot matrix display. I wouldn't expect anything much "new" in the interior other than that. The few F-3/4/550 cab-chassis that they build will have whatever interior changes that the pickups get at KTP. I'd expect the changes there to be no more extensive than the F-150 got between 2017 and 2018.
  3. The "oil list" had both the 6.2L and 7.3L on it, so both will still be in production. Also, for the 6.2L to go out of production the UAW would need to be notified, and that hasn't happened. The 7.3L is being built at a different plant than the 6.2L.
  4. Only the F-350 cab-chassis built there and the E-series have the 6.2L. On the E-series it is an optional engine. For the F-350, OHAP is cab-chassis overflow for F-3/4/550 so any 6.2L ones ordered can still be built at KTP. The E-Series appears to be going 7.3L only (it would be nice if they could figure out how to get a diesel in there, like the 4.4L built in the same plant as the 6.7L). The F-650/750 never got the 6.2L.
Edited by RPF

3 hours ago, RPF said:

This letter was posted in August over at FTE. It was quickly determined that this letter was from OHAP as at the time only OHAP was running all 2019 models, KTP was running 2019 F-Series SD and 2018 Expedition and 2018 Navigator at that time. Also...

1. It is HIGHLY unlikely that the 2020 Expedition and Navigator are getting new interiors. It is also highly unlikely that those products will get the 7.3L.
  2. The E-Series and F-Series MD will need interior changes to accommodate the Tech (4GLTE/some aspects of CoPilot360) that it has been announced that all 2020+ Ford products will have. For the E-Series this would likely be a new ICP, ACM and the plastic trim piece that surrounds those. It would also need an electrical architecture upgrade as it currently has one very similar to the 2009-2010 F-150, 2008-2010 SuperDuty and 2007-2014 Expedition. The F-Series MD will likely have to go to the 2013-2016 MFT dash panel (it currently has the "brick" variant) and a ICP with the 4.3" display instead of the currently used 2-line dot matrix display. I wouldn't expect anything much "new" in the interior other than that. The few F-3/4/550 cab-chassis that they build will have whatever interior changes that the pickups get at KTP. I'd expect the changes there to be no more extensive than the F-150 got between 2017 and 2018.
  3. The "oil list" had both the 6.2L and 7.3L on it, so both will still be in production. Also, for the 6.2L to go out of production the UAW would need to be notified, and that hasn't happened. The 7.3L is being built at a different plant than the 6.2L.
  4. Only the F-350 cab-chassis built there and the E-series have the 6.2L. On the E-series it is an optional engine. For the F-350, OHAP is cab-chassis overflow for F-3/4/550 so any 6.2L ones ordered can still be built at KTP. The E-Series appears to be going 7.3L only (it would be nice if they could figure out how to get a diesel in there, like the 4.4L built in the same plant as the 6.7L). The F-650/750 never got the 6.2L.

Thank you for this clarification RPF,

I knew it had to be something like that because the 6.2 Boss is not going away in F250 and F350 pick ups.  It all makes sense if this memo is intended for Avon lake products only - E-Series cutaway, F Series chassis and Medium Duty, those products ending 6.2 /6.8 engines and going to 7.3 V8 has to be it.

5 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Ford is 'killing it' basically because they have no competition in gas class A motor home chassis.  After Navistar sold Workhorse off, they abandoned motor home chassis and went off on a real tangent pursuing parcel-delivering drones.  Needless to say that has yet to pan out and they are trying to make a go of BEV step van chassis.  Workhorse is also trying to get the USPS contract for the LLV replacement, if they don't get it some say it's all over for them.

By far most of the class A's I see now are diesel pushers on Cummins powered FCCC chassis.

Yes but not having a competitor currently takes nothing away from the fact that the V10 has been a great engine for this purpose. 

Point taken about the Cummins in the pusher chassis. I am speaking about gas engines here though. 

In the gasoline models it’s Ford all the way.  The V10 hits a sweet spot somehow. Virtually everyone I have spoken to that has one is satisfied with the pulling power and say the fuel mileage is within reason. 

I’m just saying that Ford has a really good thing going in the RV world and I assume it’s profitable. I’d hate to see that go away. 

I’d probably take a hard look at keeping the V10 in the RV chassis. 

Leave the 6.2 in the F250/350’s and put the 7X in class 4,5,6.