New Ford 7.0 L....?

1 hour ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Also can't use the V10 line to machine anything based on the 6.2 due to the vastly different bore centers.

The new 7.x could be a tall deck engine based on the 6.2 and produced on the existing 6.2 line with some changes. Or the 7.x could be a coyote-ized V10 and be produced on the existing V10 line. Or it could be neither (such as a V8 with even wider bore centers than the 6.2 or maybe even a huge straight six if they really wanted to get crazy like we were discussing earlier).

I doubt it's a coyote-ized V10 because that wouldn't take an entire year to change the line over.

Coyote V10 would be a beast!

5 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I agree with both of these statements.

Now that statement does NOT make sense.  Head machining line designed for a V10 make V8 heads ?

The MOD plant used to switch between V8 and V10 production  in a matter of hours...

I never mentioned machining cylinder heads.

Also can't use the V10 line to machine anything based on the 6.2 due to the vastly different bore centers.

Why?

The V10 machinery may be able to be reset for a wider bore span, remember the engine plant is in a new location, I'm not saying that it will definitely be reused but I can imagine Ford reusing as much machinery as possible.

Edited by jpd80

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts/m5lp-1003-2011-ford-mustang-gt-50-coyote-engine/

The Short-Block
Because a major mandate of the Coyote program was utilizing Ford's existing V-8 mass-production capabilities, and because 5.0 liters was considered the appropriate displacement, the jumping-off point for the Coyote was the closest existing engine, the Three-Valve 4.6 V-8. Bore spacing is critical in the modular engine family-all modulars use 100mm (3.937-inch) bore spacing-because bore spacing and right bank leading are the major non-adjustable features of Ford's block machining line at the engine plant. In fact, bore spacing is likely the defining characteristic of the modular engines. They got the name "modular" because they were conceived in the '80s as a family of engines the assembly plant would sense as nearly identical and thereby allow rapid flexibility in their production. Thus, a modular could be a V or inline four-, six- or eight-cylinder engine, and any one of those engines could be built on Ford's engine lines with just a few hours of change-over time. In some cases similar engines could be built at the same time on the same line in random order, such as is done with 4.6 and 5.4. Given all that, the new 5.0 was going to have a 100mm bore spacing and claim its place as the newest member of the modular family even though in nearly all other respects it is an all-new engine.

A little perspective,

Total sales of Ford’s class 3 to 8 trucks is less than 10k / mth, that’s excluding F250 which would add about another 15k at best. So I doubt we’re talking about exceeding  10k/ mth production. Even with MD E Series included 

Edited by jpd80

15 hours ago, jpd80 said:

A little perspective,

Total sales of Ford’s class 3 to 8 trucks is less than 10k / mth, that’s excluding F250 which would add about another 15k at best. So I doubt we’re talking about exceeding  10k/ mth production. Even with MD E Series included 

Any new 7.X V8 will replace the WSG1068 Ford Industrial engine used in generators, pump stations, agriculture spraying equipt, etc etc...

http://www.powertechengines.com/FordData/FPPWSG1068DataSheet.pdf

FPPWSG1068DataSheet.pdf

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Any new 7.X V8 will replace the WSG1068 Ford Industrial engine used in generators, pump stations, agriculture spraying equipt, etc etc...

FPPWSG1068DataSheet.pdf

And in any case,I have to believe there will be a gain across the board in every class where Ford's current option is the V-10.  This engine is being designed as a better option to the V-10 as well as an alternative to buyers who are currently paying a diesel premium in class 5, 6 and 7 when they do not run the annual mileage to justify the diesel-be it a Power Stroke, Duramax,  6.7 Cummins, Detroit, or Hino.

This is being designed as an gasoline option that puts out significantly better power than any gasoline engine available and is comparable to the diesel options or only available engine  from a power perspective

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twintornados said:

FPPWSG1068DataSheet.pdf

It does not seem as though Ford actively pursues that business anymore.  That spec. sheet is 19 years old!  There are still a few manufacturers that use Ford engines in industrial equipment, but I have no idea how they are procuring Ford engines.  Generac was using the V-10 in some gaseous fueled generators, but they might be in the process of going to Powertrain Solutions International engines.  It would seem though that 7X would be a good industrial engine.    

16 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

It does not seem as though Ford actively pursues that business anymore.  That spec. sheet is 19 years old!  There are still a few manufacturers that use Ford engines in industrial equipment, but I have no idea how they are procuring Ford engines.  Generac was using the V-10 in some gaseous fueled generators, but they might be in the process of going to Powertrain Solutions International engines.  It would seem though that 7X would be a good industrial engine.    

Agree-I did not do a search other than clicking onTT's link but when I have done a search, I got the distinct impression this was not a direct Ford operation as it was i n the old days.  And there was a ton of new equipment on the market that had the "Powered by Ford" badge,  

Another bit of Ford thrown out the window in the name of ..."focusing on our core business"..or whatever the MBA "speak of the day" is.?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Agree-I did not do a search other than clicking onTT's link but when I have done a search, I got the distinct impression this was not a direct Ford operation as it was i n the old days.  And there was a ton of new equipment on the market that had the "Powered by Ford" badge,  

Another bit of Ford thrown out the window in the name of ..."focusing on our core business"..or whatever the MBA "speak of the day" is.?

Don't forget about abandoned buildings and fad companies 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

If you work thru the annual volumes for chassis cab, F150 thru F 550 and assume slightly lower diesel penetration than today, working the numbers results in approximately

140,000 annual volume for the 7X V8 engine program.  This would.include a 7.3, a 7.0 and a smaller 6.3 liter version of the same basic design.  Think Chrysler B and RB series V8 and you won’t be too far off!

edselford

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, I didn't know the 6.2 engine is going away. I figured it would be upgraded to boost power and increase fuel efficiency and used as an entry-level engine for the Super Duty or at least on the F-250 while the 7.3 would be offered on F-250 while being the sole gas engine for F-350 (or even F-450). I guess they feel the 6.2 has served its purpose. I'm looking forward to seeing the announcement of the 7.3 engine as well as the unveiling of it to hear more about its flexibility and capability. I'm curious to see if it will continue using the DOHC setup or actually being pushrod as some say. After more than 20 years, the 6.8 is now going away, marking the end of the old 90s Modular engine lineup.

Edited by pffan1990

14 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Oh wow, I didn't know the 6.2 engine is going away. I figured it would be upgraded to boost power and increase fuel efficiency and used as an entry-level engine for the Super Duty or at least on the F-250 while the 7.3 would be offered on F-250 while being the sole gas engine for F-350 (or even F-450). I guess they feel the 6.2 has served its purpose. I'm looking forward to seeing the announcement of the 7.3 engine as well as the unveiling of it to hear more about its flexibility and capability. I'm curious to see if it will continue using the DOHC setup or actually being pushrod as some say. After more than 20 years, the 6.8 is now going away, marking the end of the old 90s Modular engine lineup.

I don't remember which forum it was (I think this one) where someone works in the 7.3 plant or is part of the project and stated it is a low production engine.  This can't be the case of the 6.2 is going away being 1/3 of the SuperDutys are gas engines.

• Like 1

So I think I jumped the gun.  I wasn't aware the 6.2 was available on cab/chassis trucks..  so this document I believe is for the cab/chassis plant as they do offer the 6.2. So if the 6.2 and 6.8 are going away, that is for cab/chassis and the previous comments about it being a low production engine make sense now.  So with this possible correction, the next question is..  is the interior upgrades for the cab/chassis or all SDs?

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

I don't remember which forum it was (I think this one) where someone works in the 7.3 plant or is part of the project and stated it is a low production engine.  This can't be the case of the 6.2 is going away being 1/3 of the SuperDutys are gas engines.

That would be me, I don't work for Ford and never claimed to....and that production assumption was based on Medium Duty sales only as there was no intel around that Ford was planning to drop the 6.2 in the 2020 YM. All of that sprang from one memo posted and TFL running with the story..

Now that there's strong evidence that the 6.2 is also going away in some SDs, the 7.3 V8 makes more sense. The point being that a larger capacity engine may indeed improve fuel economy in Super Duty over the 6.2, the extra capacity allows the bigger engine to run with leaner mixtures at part throttle/ part load where the smaller 6.2 engine needs more enrichment...

I remember Bob R elaborating on this a while back, having a larger engine is something that a lot of Folks with SDs would want as the low end torque is so great when towing. It's like getting the 6.8 V10 back only better.

Whether the 6.2 V8 is replaced outright remins to be seen..

So I think I jumped the gun.  I wasn't aware the 6.2 was available on cab/chassis trucks..  so this document I believe is for the cab/chassis plant as they do offer the 6.2. So if the 6.2 and 6.8 are going away, that is for cab/chassis and the previous comments about it being a low production engine make sense now.  So with this possible correction, the next question is..  is the interior upgrades for the cab/chassis or all SDs?

If the 6.2 V8 was going away within a few months, don't ya think that Ford would be announcing this and employee transfers?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1