New Ford 7.0 L....?

On 11/14/2018 at 4:14 AM, Sevensecondsuv said:

As a counter point, remember the lead up to the "all-new, groundbreaking" Explorer in 2011 which ended up being Freestyle 3.0, which has admittedly sold well. 3rd time's the charm I guess.

Ford saved a fortune by reusing it and closing down BOF Explorer production.

In fact, the D3/D4 strategy allowed Ford to replace all BOF Panthers and BOF Explorer with pretty much existing vehicles.

This new engine is a little different but I suspect that it will be a clever response to comparatively low volume need.

Edited by jpd80

So jpd, without giving specifics will people interested in an engine that could be adapted to a larger cubic inch high performance platform be happy with the new 7X engine? Understanding of course that said engine would have to be modified from it’s original purpose as a pure truck engine. Well???

• Sad 1

I think a couple of things are happening here.  First, from what I understand (based on what I have heard, mainly educated guesses at this point), 7X is a very simple low cost high torque gas engine designed for class 3 through 7 trucks.  There will be no 'performance' versions of it, and supposedly it's not even on SVT's 'radar' (can anyone verify?).  If true this may explain the fact that there is very little press on 7X, because it isn't something that the enthusiast media is the least bit interested in.  

Now, from a Ford enthusiast's perspective what will suck is GM's new 6.6L looks like it just might be a tall deck LS.  If that is true, you can bet those jokers will slap the latest and greatest LS heads on that truck block and create yet another low-buck crate engine making stupid power.    

• Like 1

It would be just like Ford to develope something great and then completely ignore it from a performance standpoint. It seems they can't ever focus on anything but the current mustang performance engine. Want a Ford crate engine?: 5.0L. Want more power?: add a supercharger. Still not enough? You're S.O.L. - go buy an LSx.

They've been doing this forever, the V10 being current example. Biggest engine Ford has made in 20 years with millions of them on the road now. From Ford Performance point of view, they may as well not exist. I'm hoping the fact that the new 7x has the preferred number of cylinders makes it unavoidable at the performance division. Of course that didn't help the 6.2 much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

So jpd, without giving specifics will people interested in an engine that could be adapted to a larger cubic inch high performance platform be happy with the new 7X engine? Understanding of course that said engine would have to be modified from it’s original purpose as a pure truck engine. Well???

Like everyone else here, I really haven't heard anything much about the new engine, save for test engines being built soon.

I would be interested in dimensions and bellhousing.  I'm looking for engine options for a 1952 International L-160 project truck I'm working on and want to see if this sucker would fit.  Tired of seeing the same s**t at car shows.  I think the bro car culture is ruining the car culture in general.  Any way, hopefully form fits function with this engine and its ready to work when Ford brings it out. 

I'm fairly confident it'll have the usual mod motor bell. Ford has been using that on every large engine they've made since they killed off the Windsor and 385 series. Even the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 scorpion have a ring bolted to the SAE bell that converts them to modular pattern. So you know the modular bell can house a big enough clutch or TC to take the big torque output of the diesels.  Should be plenty for this new 7.x

As for your project, have you considered the V10? It's well suited to moving big trucks and is certainly different. Not really any carb options without fabbing your own intake. Megasquirt will run one easily. I believe a 4R100 can be run by many aftermarket efi systems including megasquirt. The 5R110 and 6R140 cannot as of yet.  Of course there is always the ZF manual options.

If you want to keep it more original with an inline six, the Ford 300 is the strongest and most modifiable of all the old cast iron sixes. Can be built for 250 hp with a big fat powerband and still survive medium duty usage.  There's a big head development effort underway currently over at fordsix.com if you're interested.

Another really cool option would be a Ford tractor/brazil diesel engine. I've always wanted to put one in an old 50s stake body farm truck. They're big and heavy for their ourput, but they're simple mechanical injection and super durable. They have an SAE bell so any medium duty trans will bolt up. They were made in 3, 4, and 6 cylinder versions with some 4s and all 6s being turbo charged. The basic 401 six cylinder was rated at 100 - 150 hp @ 2200 rpm continuous in the tractors but can be turned up some with pump work. There was a bigger 474" (I think) used in F700s up to the big Louisville rigs that can be turned up to 300 hp with the Bosch P pump. These engines are popular with pullers so there are aftermarket parts available if 1000 hp is your goal.

15 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Another really cool option would be a Ford tractor/brazil diesel engine. I've always wanted to put one in an old 50s stake body farm truck. They're big and heavy for their ourput, but they're simple mechanical injection and super durable. They have an SAE bell so any medium duty trans will bolt up. They were made in 3, 4, and 6 cylinder versions with some 4s and all 6s being turbo charged. The basic 401 six cylinder was rated at 100 - 150 hp @ 2200 rpm continuous in the tractors but can be turned up some with pump work. There was a bigger 474" (I think) used in F700s up to the big Louisville rigs that can be turned up to 300 hp with the Bosch P pump. These engines are popular with pullers so there are aftermarket parts available if 1000 hp is your goal.

Correct on the big Ford ag engine that was used in Louisvilles up to 8000 series, 7.8 L 

Sorry to hijack the thread...Ive considered many different options from sticking with whats in there to the 7.8 Brazil Ford diesels just for the Ford emblem on the valve covers, a DTA360, a VT275, 391, and of course the 300 inline 6. V8 fit is an issue as the truck is definitely designed for an inline 6.   I prefer a manual and was leaning towards an Eaton 7 speed if I go diesel so I don't need to worry about destroying a transmission when I start adding power in the future.  Thanks for the input.

4 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Just out of curiosity, what is 6R140 used in now?

Basically all of Ford's Super Duty, Medium Duty,   E Series cutaways, stripped Chassis.

I think the gasoline 6.2 gets a different version with a lower first gear.

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Basically all of Ford's Super Duty, Medium Duty,   E Series cutaways, stripped Chassis.

I think the gasoline 6.2 gets a different version with a lower first gear.

Thx-wonder what the rationale is for replacing this transmission given it is used behind the Power Stroke in GVW ratings up to 37,000 lbs and GCW's up to 50 or 55,000 pds.  This 7.X gasser must be a real beast!  

And to the best of my knowledge, no real issues with it correct?  

4 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Thx-wonder what the rationale is for replacing this transmission given it is used behind the Power Stroke in GVW ratings up to 37,000 lbs and GCW's up to 50 or 55,000 pds.  This 7.X gasser must be a real beast!  

The new beefed up 10 speed is right around the corner, that's why. 

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I have not had any issues with the 6R140 Torq-Shift in any 250-550.  We don't use the 650 or 750, so can't say anything about it in those trucks, but I have not heard of any problems in them.

F-250's with the 6.2L  now get the 6 speed used in the F-150.

Funny thing about the upcoming 10 speed, I am being told it's 'all new', not a version of the current 6R140.   

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

I have not had any issues with the 6R140 Torq-Shift in any 250-550.  We don't use the 650 or 750, so can't say anything about it in those trucks, but I have not heard of any problems in them.

F-250's with the 6.2L  now get the 6 speed used in the F-150.

Funny thing about the upcoming 10 speed, I am being told it's 'all new', not a version of the current 6R140.   

And I'm sure if you are anything like the utilities around here, the 550's get a good workout unless you guys have very tight inventory controls, I know we did not have the best system and parts stock on our T & P crew trucks (Tank & Pump) would grow!  do you pull trailers too (skid steers-mini excavators?)

2 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

And I'm sure if you are anything like the utilities around here, the 550's get a good workout unless you guys have very tight inventory controls, I know we did not have the best system and parts stock on our T & P crew trucks (Tank & Pump) would grow!  do you pull trailers too (skid steers-mini excavators?)

We use 550's for 1.5 yd. dumps, pipeline welder, and industrial meter/regulator service trucks.  Most (particularly the dumps) run around pretty heavy, but we don't tow much with them.  We have a lot of skid-steers, but we favor the larger Caterpillar models.  They weigh close to 7,500#'s, with trailer and tools the total is well over 10,000#'s, so driver needs a class A CDL.  Since that is the case, our policy is that skid-steers or anything larger needs to be towed with at least a 5 yard class 7 dump.