Ford Flex Ceases Production in 2020

I recall recent talk that Ford was using Oakville as a bargaining chip with Unifor

and that if Unifor didn't agree with certain conditions, Ford would nuke OAP production.

Perhaps that language was a little strong but the intent was play nice and we'll keep OAP

and the D3/D4 side is simply added jobs and nice amortized production for Ford.

Edited by jpd80

The issue is that the Model E or whatever its called is still going to be needed to meet CAFE even though gas is "cheap" for the now and the Bronco/Ranger are the rage for the rumor mill now.

I'm sure its still coming....as for a Escape Hybrid...isn't the Escape supposed to be part of the new plant being built in Mexico as overflow? We'll see the Focus/Model E or whatever its called/Escape overflow coming from that plant? It would make resurrecting a Hybrid Escape alot easier.

• Like 1

The issue is that the Model E or whatever its called is still going to be needed to meet CAFE even though gas is "cheap" for the now and the Bronco/Ranger are the rage for the rumor mill now.

I'm sure its still coming....as for a Escape Hybrid...isn't the Escape supposed to be part of the new plant being built in Mexico as overflow? We'll see the Focus/Model E or whatever its called/Escape overflow coming from that plant? It would make resurrecting a Hybrid Escape alot easier.

Bingo. I expect all C platform vehicles to be electric and/or hybridized. And possibly CD4/CD6 too at some point.

I don't think contract makes it clear that the Flex will end in 2020, just that it will be produced through 2020 at least.

It's also becoming likely that the next Explorer is actually a refresh which will keep the D4 around for at least 6+ years from now.

As for electric vehicles, Ford's approach has always been about increasing company wide efficiency so a flagship electric in the traditional form is probably unlikely. We may get a version of the Focus that's all electric but I seriously doubt you'll see anything like a Volt, Bolt, or Tesla from Ford. And ultimately Ford's EV budget is pretty small.

Edited by BORG

As for electric vehicles, Ford's approach has always been about increasing company wide efficiency so a flagship electric in the traditional form is probably unlikely. We may get a version of the Focus that's all electric but I seriously doubt you'll see anything like a Volt, Bolt, or Tesla from Ford. And ultimately Ford's EV budget is pretty small.

Uh we already have an electric Focus....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, long time no see! Since posting last, we've bought a Flex. I had always appreciated the interior, but I have to say we've come to love the overall design. There are a few quirks we'd like to see improved, but overall we think it's a smart, functional, elegant design. What our 2011 lacks is power and mileage...post-27042-0-38118600-1479780175_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Flex and MKT continued production was part of the last UNIFOR agreement.

Flex was continue production until 2020, there was no mention of the MKT. The contract could easily change, as there was not a major investment in the Oakville plant. Ford comes in with a big investment, but wants to kill the Flex early.

Flex was continue production until 2020, there was no mention of the MKT. The contract could easily change, as there was not a major investment in the Oakville plant. Ford comes in with a big investment, but wants to kill the Flex early.

I can't imagine MKT makes it to the beginning of Aviator production, whenever that ends up happening.
  • Like 1

I can't imagine MKT makes it to the beginning of Aviator production, whenever that ends up happening.

One would have to think Oakville will get another product at some point, no? I'd imagine its under capacity as is, let alone when Flex/MKT are dropped.

Let's hope so. Edge/MKX should've been hybridized yesterday.

​Which is sad, Ford at one point has the perception of being a leader in hybrids with Toyota.

​Now Tesla and Toyota are so far ahead in perception it isn't even funny and Ford will be seen as following. I wonder how many Model 3's will be in the Ford parking lots around Dearborn by this time next year, there are already quite a few Tesla models.

​Which is sad, Ford at one point has the perception of being a leader in hybrids with Toyota.

​Now Tesla and Toyota are so far ahead in perception it isn't even funny and Ford will be seen as following. I wonder how many Model 3's will be in the Ford parking lots around Dearborn by this time next year, there are already quite a few Tesla models.

It also makes less sense when you consider CD4 is already hybridized for Fusion/MKZ; adding the capability to Edge/MKX (not to mention Continental) should've been a no-brainer.