Ford Flex Ceases Production in 2020

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/dead-ford-flex-1788440392

The news comes via the Canadian auto workers union, Unifor, after reaching a “tentative labor contract” with Ford, reports the Detroit Free Press. Though the automaker plans to invest additional funds at its Oakville plant in Ontario, where the Flex is made, it will also cease production of the crossover in 2020.

Edit: I now see this is already being discussed in the UNIFOR thread, but what the heck....it seems worthy enough for its own topic.

Edited by Anthony

That is probably tied to the next-gen Explorer, but man that's a long run. The real problem is the interior of the Flex which is REALLY outdated and dates back to 2008, the outside can hold its own for awhile.

Edited by BORG

The Flex and MKT probably have to get something new, the MKT is getting a new grille insert to hold it over. I wonder if the interior switchgear is being changed at all just to get rid of the touch controls. I don't expect any design changes beyond consolidating swappable parts.

Edited by BORG

The Flex and MKT probably have to get something new, the MKT is getting a new grille insert to hold it over. I wonder if the interior switchgear is being changed at all just to get rid of the touch controls. I don't expect any design changes beyond consolidating swappable parts.

I would be shocked if they even did that much.

Flex interior is high regarded for the quality of it, it also won "Interior of the year" from Wards Automotive. ANd numerous reviews have commented about the quality of it. Good that it's soldier on for a few more years with minimal investments. Realiability has been Average though. Sometimes when a product lingers for some time, I always have hopes that incrementally quality would improved but in this case it hasnt :(

• Like 1

Flex interior is high regarded for the quality of it, it also won "Interior of the year" from Wards Automotive. ANd numerous reviews have commented about the quality of it. Good that it's soldier on for a few more years with minimal investments. Realiability has been Average though. Sometimes when a product lingers for some time, I always have hopes that incrementally quality would improved but in this case it hasnt :(

I wonder if its' scores were negatively affected by MFT as well?

• Like 1

That is completely irrelevant 8-12 years later and the Flex interior is full of hard plastics, sharp angles, cheap randomly placed switchgear, and plastic wood. It even uses the same cheap Fusion doorhandles and switchgear from 2005. Hell, 6 years ago the Ford Fusion won car of the year....would it be acceptable if Ford had left that alone until 2020? (actually 2022 to match the timeline here).

flx16_pg_918_int_full.jpg

Edited by BORG

That is completely irrelevant 8-12 years later and the Flex interior is full of hard plastics, sharp angles, cheap randomly placed switchgear, and plastic wood. It even uses the same cheap Fusion doorhandles and switchgear from 2005. Hell, 6 years ago the Ford Fusion won car of the year....would it be acceptable if Ford had left that alone until 2020? (actually 2022 to match the timeline here).

flx16_pg_918_int_full.jpg

My 2008 Focus has those same door handles, and they feel vastly superior to the supposedly more premium version in our 2015....

I love our Flex, but it is crazy they're going to keep it going so long. I've never warmed to the 2013 Front end, which is a shame as 2020 will be when I'm due to replace the Flex (ideally). I wish it would get a refresh, but am not surprised if it doesn't.

We're in the same boat. We've got 105k on our '09.

I'll be very sad to see it go, as I prefer a commodious wagon with available AWD to pretend-SUVs and mommy-vans. While I still have and love my Expedition, a Flex would offer much lower load-in height for musical gear (a constant in my life for decades) while still offering good space for passengers.

I'm not a fan of the current front end, either, and would like it to get something more attractive before finally wandering off the lot for good.

Yes BORG, that was way back when, when it did come out, and even after it still received some good complimented as last as 2013 on some other car-rag review. Then again, have you touched some of the current crap on some of the Fords lately? MY LS has great feeling door exterior door handle solid and nice thunk, my new MKX feels like some plasticky hollow tube with a tinsy clunking door. Just when you think they got it right, its the details that make me wonder...now the common "complaint" I'm hearing on the new Conti is the boring speedo/instrumentation, they went with a design that seems lacking from what a few reviewers have mentioned.