2017 NAV's "Next turn" voice prompts are dangerously late.

PajamaGuy

The “next turn” voice notice is so late that it’s dangerous. :nonono:

I spent a few hours this morning driving around several New England towns, all of the time using the built-in Sync 3 navigation system in my 2017 Ford Escape Titanium.

I’ve had voice-activated, built-in, OEM GPS navigation in my vehicles since 2001 and this is the first one that does not provide enough notice with its turn-by-turn instructions to safely navigate.

Only once this morning did the system give me ¼ mi. warning even though 9 out of 10 turns were at least ½ mile (usually much more) apart.
In-town speeds were 25 to 45 MPH.

To compound the problem (and the danger), 1/10 mi. is 528 ft. and while watching the distance-to-turn measurement, none of the voice prompts started at .1 mi. Most started at 450 ft., and some started at 400 ft. And none of the prompts finished before 300 ft. – even at 25 MPH.

Regardless, in most towns it’s almost impossible to safely move to the indicated turning lane within 500 ft.

In all cases instructions should begin at the ¼ mile distance at a minimum.

Additionally, the radio does not mute while the NAV is giving verbal instructions.

I never had either of these issues with my 2013 or 2014 Escapes.

Akirby - You don't list a 2017 - so it wouldn't compare. My '13 and '14 worked great.

Borg - Android Auto already works - but it's a pain for short trips. ...and I'm glad the mute issue is known. Where do you find known issues?

But thanks to both of you!

I fixed the radio over powering the navigation voice. I had to to a Master Reset. This is different than a soft report (pressing the radio on/off button and >>>> at the same time) A soft reboot will not fix this. This fixed the voice problem and the true North issue. I'm having far more issues with sync3 that I had with any of MFT vehicles. The Sync tech at the dealer told me there are many issues with Sync3 and are "very buggy."

And here I thought Sync3 was supposed to fix the issues experienced in MT.....NOT.

Akirby, glad you're still active!

Regarding the NAV – I did a MASTER RESET this morning.

The good news is that after the reset, FAVORITES screen is not blank!

The bad news is that NAV is squirrely. Driving into my town the 2 lanes break into 4 - 2-left, 1-straight, 1-straight or right. NAV waited until 400 ft. to tell me to turn left.

Fortunately, I knew where I was going. Then it wanted me to take the first exit from a roundabout "...onto Main". The first exit (and I took it) was Broad St., the map, and the indicated route were correct, the voice prompt was not. Then, after following Broad St about 2 miles, the map indicated a right turn (at a 4-way intersection) – but neither the voice, nor the 2-tone bell sounded. But this trip did prompt me to turn onto home street, and at 1/4 mi. Yesterday it did not give me any audible turning instruction. Weird, huh?

I've told my dealer, but they have no fix for it. I do find it abnormal that no other '17 owner has seen the issues.