Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera Package

popeyedc65

I ordered this on my 2017 Super Duty along with the trailer camera CSTMR TRL CAM DLR INSTLD ACCY. The Order guide is hard to figure out and even my dealer wasn't sure if this is what i need for the seventh camera. Does this require the 12 pin plug or is that for the trailer tire pressure monitor? Hoping i ordered the right options, I also have the Tow Tech Bundle.

I believe the extra plug is needed for both the camera and tire pressure monitor. Ordering the truck with either system should come with that plug already on the truck. However, I don't the TPMS system is available without the camera.

With that said, there's not a whole lot of activity here in the Super Duty forum. Not to steer traffic from here, but here is another forum that will be loads more helpful in this regard: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/ I frequent there as well with the same username. Don't leave, we want to see pics of that truck when it comes in! :)

Be warned! The TPMS sensors are only compatible with wheels that have .452" valve stems. The trailer I just tried installing this accessory on had .625" valve stems. It seems (through my limited research) that the majority of trailers use this oversize stem. We are currently looking for a work-around. There is nothing in the pre-sales literature about this requirement. We have contacted Ford through several avenues and the answer is the same: .625" valve stems are not supported.

I was looking forward to the trailer TPMS when I order my new truck, but the more I hear about it, the less likely I am to order it. I don't like the thought of having to take my wheels/tires off to have the stems put on as opposed to just adding them myself. Seems like a pain when so many aftermarket systems just use screw-on caps.

• 4 months later...

I ordered this on my 2017 Super Duty along with the trailer camera CSTMR TRL CAM DLR INSTLD ACCY. The Order guide is hard to figure out and even my dealer wasn't sure if this is what i need for the seventh camera. Does this require the 12 pin plug or is that for the trailer tire pressure monitor? Hoping i ordered the right options, I also have the Tow Tech Bundle.

How do you like the camera system? I am thinking of adding this to my order.

• 3 months later...

Fortunately I had read about the limitations of the Ford TPMS before ordering, so we will continue using our aftermarket system. We did order the trailer camera though... we'll see; still waiting on our new one

• 4 months later...

Good info on the TPMS system. I had not heard that. I have been looking at probably ordering a 2018 F250 in the spring and looking at all the options myself. There are certainly enough.... I was thinking on the TPMS/trailer Camera but the more I see some nice after market trailer cameras that can stay on when driving instead of only in reverse as in Fords. And now the facts on that TPMS system. I think that I will not order that option. Think I’ll go with a wireless camera with separate screen to keep an eye on rear when needed and power it off one of the up switches. But the Utimate Trailer Tow Camera’s on truck are on the list.

one problem to watch for in the aftermarket cameras is they tend to be a drain on battery when off. At least mine was. was hard to find but putting on a switch would solve that problem. I had a switch to activate it but it had a separate hot wire, i ended up putting both on a switch.

Be warned! The TPMS sensors are only compatible with wheels that have .452" valve stems. The trailer I just tried installing this accessory on had .625" valve stems. It seems (through my limited research) that the majority of trailers use this oversize stem. We are currently looking for a work-around. There is nothing in the pre-sales literature about this requirement. We have contacted Ford through several avenues and the answer is the same: .625" valve stems are not supported.

Well I know nothing on the TPMS system. Seems if Ford is selling a system that’s not compatible with different valve stems they would or should tell you what that is in the order guide. Going to have to look up how these work I guess. So cant ford do some kind of patch or update so system could read both value stems??

Nichols Manufacturing (the company that makes the y-cable to mount the camera connector in the bed) has .625 valve stems for the Ford trailer TPMS in either steel or aluminum.

Also, the 7/12 pin connector for the bumper comes in the box with the camera and TPMS sensors. Technically the dealer should swap this for you during PDI but I'm hearing most don't and I'm specifically requesting my dealer leave the connector in the box when my F-450 arrives.

Ok going to see if Im close on this. Fords factory install TPMS will only work on .452 valve stems. So if your trailer has .625 you have to switch out the sensor to the correct one for them. So if you had ordered it from Ford then you could use the original wire harness and order just the sensor and .625 TPMS stems for those rims. After installing them on trailer and swap the sensor out the trucks display would work and read properly??? When reading the Nichols website, they just say that they have .625 stems. Doesnt say that the sensor changes. So that confuses me (which isnt hard these days) If this is the one that Ford installs, then why wouldnt it read a 6.25 sensor anyway. Does it have to be a Nichols .625 stem or something.

Edited by Nonrev59

Ok going to see if Im close on this. Fords factory install TPMS will only work on .452 valve stems. So if your trailer has .625 you have to switch out the sensor to the correct one for them. So if you had ordered it from Ford then you could use the original wire harness and order just the sensor and .625 TPMS stems for those rims. After installing them on trailer and swap the sensor out the trucks display would work and read properly??? When reading the Nichols website, they just say that they have .625 stems. Doesnt say that the sensor changes. So that confuses me (which isnt hard these days) If this is the one that Ford installs, then why wouldnt it read a 6.25 sensor anyway. Does it have to be a Nichols .625 stem or something.

You unscrew the .452 stems from the sensor in the kit and screw on the .625 ones. Ford just doesn't offer/provide the larger stems but Nichols found ones that worked with the Ford sensor provided in the kit.

Edited by RPF

You unscrew the .452 stems from the sensor in the kit and screw on the .625 ones. Ford just doesn't offer/provide the larger stems but Nichols found ones that worked with the Ford sensor provided in the kit.

I didn't know they were interchangeable with the sensor part. I get it now said the blind man......Thanks. I thought new stems had their own sensor part and then you needed to use a new monitoring sensor to go with them. Never had read crap about these TPMS systems. Even tires aren't simple anymore. Ha......