Aluminum '17 Expy Coming

Yet on a "unitized" structure more of the whole vehicle would be encompassed in aluminum material.

BTW rumor has it that there will be two Vettes for at least a while. The current roadster and the new mid engined "Zora".

One consistent roomer of late is that Corvette will become its own brand and will have multiple models. Including a SUV and Sedan, the mid-engine is going to launch that brand so to speak. GM's idea is that "Corvette" will go head to head with Porsche, these additional model development will help spread the cost of Cadillac across more models.

Aluminum added significantly to the cost of the F-Series which Ford warned about with regard to their margins, which they successfully offset by raising prices on F-Series. Most Ford products are otherwise very inexpensive, typically the cheapest in their segments so you have to remember the significant cost impact Aluminum would have on Ford cars in particular, especially with the huge scalability of Ford products. The same $22K Fusion is underpinning a $80K Lincoln, but you can't design for $80K you have to design for $22K otherwise you lose money. Every Ford product starts with an extremely low cost figure and the rest are just margins which makes them so profitable, but it also makes Ford the least likely to spend on expensive platforms. But the real magic of Ford has always been it's ability to make traditionally expensive technologies inexpensive and accessible across everything.

Edited by BORG

Texas is the number 1 market for allot of things.

You use "allot" a lot. You use it wrong.

Just like "loose" is not "lose", "allot" is not "a lot".

"Allot" means to allocate a portion of something to someone. (e.g. 5 GT350s were allotted to my dealership).

"A lot" means a large quantity.

You use "allot" a lot. You use it wrong.

Just like "loose" is not "lose", "allot" is not "a lot".

"Allot" means to allocate a portion of something to someone. (e.g. 5 GT350s were allotted to my dealership).

"A lot" means a large quantity.

"Roll" and "role" also mean different things (in another thread)...

I almost pointed that out in the other thread too. I hate it when people use the wrong words.

Maybe English is his second language? Or I wonder if he uses dictation. Seems odd that someone with self proclaimed deep pockets has such a poor grasp of the language.

• 1 month later...

So I'm wondering how much weight loss we will see with the alloy body and I assume new lighter frame....

The current Expedition is around 5,800 lbs so is an 800 lb weight drop out of the question?

A massive weight drop like that would bring the Expedition right back on buyer's radars, combine it with the

the two EB V6s, the 5.0 V8 and that 10-speed auto and you've got a winner way beyond anything GM has

in Chevrolet or GMC ranges.

Edited by jpd80

So I'm wondering how much weight loss we will see with the alloy body and I assume new lighter frame....

The current Expedition is around 5,800 lbs so is an 800 lb weight drop out of the question?

A massive weight drop like that would bring the Expedition right back on buyer's radars, combine it with the

the two EB V6s, the 5.0 V8 and that 10-speed auto and you've got a winner way beyond anything GM has

in Chevrolet or GMC ranges.

Well, if the F-150 can drop 700lbs with a bed, I'd say 800lbs for the Expedition (with the covered cargo area/extra sheetmetal) is certainly likely.

• Like 1

Well, if the F-150 can drop 700lbs with a bed, I'd say 800lbs for the Expedition (with the covered cargo area/extra sheetmetal) is certainly likely.

That would mean the Expedition would be around 500 lbs lighter than a Tahoe.....

That weight advantage combined with the EB V6s would give Expedition a huge advantage..