2013 SEL water pump

markfnc

Seems awful, awful cheap. It is around 11 hours of labor with a $130 pump plus both valve cover gaskets, sealant, intake gaskets, oil and filter. Its the idler for the timing CHAIN, not belt. And its under the timing cover on the front of the engine. Biggest question is did coolant get in the crankcase? If it did, you'd be better to buy a boneyard engine, install a water pump in it and go on your way.

• 2 years later...

Bad design having it internal.  I saw yesterday that a class action law suit has been filed against Ford over the water pump issue.  It would be a nice surprise if they issued a recall in response and i got reimbursed for some of my cost. 

2013 Taurus (166,000 miles) a ton more issues than that of my 2007 Explorer (235,000 miles), and my wives 2005 Freestar (200,000 miles) 

Now rear passenger  side door lock is having issues and door wont open from inside or outside.  Unless you pull up on lock at the same time i hit the unlock button. 

Radio /cd randomly doesn't work after start.  Have to remove key, get out of car and wait 10 sec then restart. then sometimes it will work again.

Ready to be rid of it and get something else.  

Edited by markfnc

1 hour ago, markfnc said:

Ford did the repair of my water pump.  that was at 88,000 miles.  now I'm at 164,000.  Did the repair extend the life, or am i fast approaching another $2,200 repair, or worse?  anyone know?   

How many times have you changed the coolant since the water pump was changed?

Oh and they won’t issue a recall - that’s for safety issues.

The most they would do is extend the warranty to 75K or 100K miles.

Incidentally there are several edges with over 200K miles with the original water pump so it’s not guaranteed that they fail.

Typical water pump life we see varies a lot. Seems to be with engine run hours vs actual mileage. Police cars seem to go early due to their high idle time. We have a local school that gets about 40k on their "DPS" cars. High mile highway pounders seem to go late. Those are the 200k+ milers that Akirby references. Typically, we tell customers to budget to expect them around 100k miles. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. 

Edited by YT90SC