Some tutorials on the new software have been pinned here.

• Custom Search

theoldwizard

Oil for 2.0L EcoBooost 5W30 !?

So I just picked up a 2016 Edge with the 2.0L EcoBoost. My son noticed the oild fill cap calls for 5W30 oil, not the much more common 5W20. No big deal, right ? Except I hear that the 5W30 is not available in the 5 quart bottles.

Tell me this is not true and where can I find it !

Wiz....5W30 is plentiful in the 5 quart bottles....was down at the local Advance Auto...and there were racks of 'em...

41P8PhRPErL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

mobil%201.jpg

397e3d63-386f-4f64-8924-0f9deba8f8a1_1.7

What oil does this 2.0T EB ship with from the factory? Or does the motor come with special "break-in" oil? (Extra additives that apparently some manufacturers include with the factory fill).

I want to switch my new Edge over to synthetic oil (assuming it doesn't ship with). Should I do this right away or should I wait for a few thousand kms?

It ships with normal motorcraftservice 5w-30 - nothing special.

What oil does this 2.0T EB ship with from the factory? Or does the motor come with special "break-in" oil? (Extra additives that apparently some manufacturers include with the factory fill).

I want to switch my new Edge over to synthetic oil (assuming it doesn't ship with). Should I do this right away or should I wait for a few thousand kms?

Ford recommends and therefore uses synthetic oil in their engines, however I don't know if it ships with any any additives in it. My dealer recommended changing it at 5000 miles, then whenever the car's sensors indicated after that.

"Break in" oil is an "old mechanics tale" ! Cars ship with exactly the same oil that they were tested with and the exact same oil that is recommended in the owner's manual.

Changing oil BEFORE the recommended interval is a waste of money (assuming you drive under "normal" conditions). With all of the testing that the SAE and API do on oil today, there is very little, IF ANY, difference between different brands oil. Motorcraft semi-synthetic is actually a very good deal.

Ford recommends and therefore uses synthetic oil in their engines, however I don't know if it ships with any any additives in it.

I am am pretty certain that ALL Ford US gasoline powered vehicles ship with Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil with NO additional additive !

Edited by theoldwizard

I am am pretty certain that ALL US gasoline powered vehicles ship with Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil with NO additional additive !

You would be correct.

I am am pretty certain that ALL US gasoline powered vehicles ship with Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil with NO additional additive !

GM & Mobil used to advertise not all that long ago that the Corvette shipped with a factory fill of Mobil 1 synthetic. I find it very odd that all engines made (or sold) in the US ship with the same oil. I don't know why there would be a requirement for this or it would be an enormous coincidence.

GM & Mobil used to advertise not all that long ago that the Corvette shipped with a factory fill of Mobil 1 synthetic. I find it very odd that all engines made (or sold) in the US ship with the same oil. I don't know why there would be a requirement for this or it would be an enormous coincidence.

He was talking about Ford US vehicles.

"Break in" oil is an "old mechanics tale" ! Cars ship with exactly the same oil that they were tested with and the exact same oil that is recommended in the owner's manual.

Changing oil BEFORE the recommended interval is a waste of money (assuming you drive under "normal" conditions). With all of the testing that the SAE and API do on oil today, there is very little, IF ANY, difference between different brands oil. Motorcraft semi-synthetic is actually a very good deal.

I'll try not to start an oil war here, but there are lots of differences between oil brands. Manuals usually don't recommend a brand, but viscosity grade(s) which are often dependent on the local conditions and driving styles.

It will be a waste of money to dump the original new oil & filter, but I run synthetic a LOT longer than most manufacturer manuals estimate (often 3k miles or 5k kms). I change the oil in my sports car about once a year and it sees everything from harsh winters to extreme track days… and the used oil analysis I did on it after 15k kms said it was doing just fine.

Synthetic oil has smaller (more uniform) molecules and I don’t want the engine/seals getting used to conventional dino oil, which typically also has more impurities. With this 2.0L engine being a direct injection turbo, I think it will benefit both short and long-term from using high quality oil (and premium 91+ octane gas). Personally I’m considering swapping the oil in my 2017 Edge as soon as I get it.

I change the oil in my 182k mile focus every 6-8k miles

The new one with just over 10k miles we changed at 6k, and will probably let it go until it tells us it's time to change it, though I will be rotating the tires before that.

Don't forget the factory std Motorcraft is a synthetic blend.

Don't forget the factory std Motorcraft is a synthetic blend.

Is it? I always thought it was full synthetic.

I change the oil in my 182k mile focus every 6-8k miles

The new one with just over 10k miles we changed at 6k, and will probably let it go until it tells us it's time to change it, though I will be rotating the tires before that.

I go by the manual. 7k miles and use Motorcraft 5w-20 blend. It doesn't tick, drip or burn oil. Rotate tires every change.

Closing in on 186k. Best car I've ever owned.

Is it? I always thought it was full synthetic.

Blend.

Yep, blend.

Changing oil BEFORE the recommended interval is a waste of money

In a general sense yes. However, I have pulled the valve covers off of numerous European cars (BMW imparticular) and have seen what the effects of 15K oil change intervals do on high mileage engines.

In a general sense yes. However, I have pulled the valve covers off of numerous European cars (BMW imparticular) and have seen what the effects of 15K oil change intervals do on high mileage engines.

Longest Ford recommends is 10K...going by the oil life sensor.

So I just picked up a 2016 Edge with the 2.0L EcoBoost. My son noticed the oild fill cap calls for 5W30 oil, not the much more common 5W20. No big deal, right ? Except I hear that the 5W30 is not available in the 5 quart bottles.

Tell me this is not true and where can I find it !

In the showroom the other day I'm pretty sure I noticed the oil cap on the V6 was 5w20. I guess only the EB is 5w30 (not sure about the Edge Sport though).

In the showroom the other day I'm pretty sure I noticed the oil cap on the V6 was 5w20. I guess only the EB is 5w30 (not sure about the Edge Sport though).

All non-EB gas engines should be 5W-20 now and all EB engines should be 5W-30.

Just to add to the weight of comments. My brand new Escape w/ the Ecoboost 2.0 specifies 5W30 in both the owners manual and the fill cap. That's good enough for me.

2016 Fusion SE 1.5L Ecoboost...both the filler cap and the manual call for 5W20.

Morry

Interesting test using Amsoil synthetic...

The GM Turbo Coking Test

The Turbo Coking Test was designed to simulate the extreme operating conditions of a turbocharged engine. It evaluates a motor oil’s ability to resist deposit buildup in the oil passages and bushings of a turbocharger. Temperature increases within the turbo and the weight of any deposits are recorded.

signature-shaft.jpg

Test Parameters

Engine

2012 GM 1.4L

Duration

2,000 cycles of extreme heat soaks – approximately 537 hours

Measures

A motor oil’s ability to resist deposits in a turbocharger’s oil passages and bushings

Simulates

High-heat operation of a turbocharged engine

Requirement

Temperature change within the turbocharger limited to 13 percent

Signature Series protects turbochargers 72% better than required by GM dexos1® Gen 21

The GM Turbo Coking Test requires an oil to limit the temperature change within the turbocharger to 13 percent or less to pass the test. Amsoil Signature Series limited the temperature increase to only 3.6 percent, controlling heat and proving it protects against deposits common to high-temperature engine environments.

1Based on independent testing of AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 in the GM Turbo Coking Test as required for the GM dexos1 Gen 2 specification.

*All trademarked names and images are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. No affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, is made by their use. All products advertised here are developed by AMSOIL for use in the applications shown.

And - the effects are?