CHP picks Dodge....

Fgts

If I were CHP, the thing that would concern me is FCA doesn't have any solid plans on upcoming cars.

My bet is FCA will let the Charger rot on the vine, then ax it because they don't have the money to engineer a new model.

On the other hand, due to shifting sales, I think the Taurus will rot on the vine. But since most are moving towards Utilities, this isn't a big issue.

Ford will be putting a big effort into the next PIU, no matter what platform they go on. It'll still be around in 5 years. I wouldn't take a bet on FCA being around in the police market in 5 years. Much less Dodge/FCA corporate being around as it is in 5. (Sold off in auction to highest bidder...)

Good points, full size cars are out of style, frankly.

And CHP will end up going back to Utilities once FCA goes under and get parted out. Sooner, not later.

Thinking out load-and remembering some special I saw on the tube that featured CHPs patrolling I-5. Chevy suburban is rolled over on its roof- Traffic is a disaster-major holiday weekend. Cop puts the CV pushbar up against the side of the Chevy and pushes it off road. End of traffic jam. Also much rather do a "pic" move in a 150 than an Explorer

starting to see more pick ups in service around here. Look at performance of these things today vs 10 years ago. How tough would it be to turn 150 into a pursuit rated truck. They could have a mix of 4WD and two wheel- commonality of components and built in guts!

Thinking out load-and remembering some special I saw on the tube that featured CHPs patrolling I-5. Chevy suburban is rolled over on its roof- Traffic is a disaster-major holiday weekend. Cop puts the CV pushbar up against the side of the Chevy and pushes it off road. End of traffic jam. Also much rather do a "pic" move in a 150 than an Explorer

starting to see more pick ups in service around here. Look at performance of these things today vs 10 years ago. How tough would it be to turn 150 into a pursuit rated truck. They could have a mix of 4WD and two wheel- commonality of components and built in guts!

Some PDs have F-150s and use them for a variety of purposes

So how do you win a bidding process when you're not the lowest cost? By having a better product.

Not true. Many government agencies now have a policy of automatically dropping the lowest bid. They have found the lowest bid loses money which leads to corner cutting or excessive time/material charges to add-ons or design changes.

Not true. Many government agencies now have a policy of automatically dropping the lowest bid. They have found the lowest bid loses money which leads to corner cutting or excessive time/material charges to add-ons or design changes.

I can buy that on certain things, but I don't think that would apply to mass produced vehicles since they're not custom built.

I have a good friend who is a Border Patrol agent. His post has Chargers, Crown Vics, and Tauruses. The agents all love the Crown Vics as an all around car, like the Chargers because they're fast (but every single one of them all say they can't turn worth a damn) and the Tauruses they pretty much all agree are the best all around handling but they hate the lack of interior space.

Same here at our detachment. However our force stopped buying Chargers due to reliability issue (we mostly patrol rural Canadian region across the country - lots of our cars mileage comes from gravel road). Everytime FCA updates their Charger, we end up buying a handful to test them. It always ends up the same way: deceiving and universaly hated.

The Taurus awesome pretty awesome and the AWD system is great in the winter. The legroom in the driver position sucks. Our province (NS) division does not buy PUI but the neighbouring one (NB) recently received a large order of them. One of our Tahoe (ATV/snowmobile/boat towing vehicle) is due for replacement and we were advised that GM Canada is not taking fleet order on them for a while. I wonder what we'll receive. I don't think a PUI would have the desired towing capacity.

Edited by 92LX302

Same here at our detachment. However our force stopped buying Chargers due to reliability issue (we mostly patrol rural Canadian region across the country - lots of our cars mileage comes from gravel road). Everytime FCA updates their Charger, we end up buying a handful to test them. It always ends up the same way: deceiving and universaly hated.

The Taurus awesome pretty awesome and the AWD system is great in the winter. The legroom in the driver position sucks. Our province (NS) division does not buy PUI but the neighbouring one (NB) recently received a large order of them. One of our Tahoe (ATV/snowmobile/boat towing vehicle) is due for replacement and we were advised that GM Canada is not taking fleet order on them for a while. I wonder what we'll receive. I don't think a PUI would have the desired towing capacity.

Ford does offer the Expedition and F-150 set up for police use, but neither of them are pursuit rated. I'm not sure what their availability is in Canada though.

Ford does offer the Expedition and F-150 set up for police use, but neither of them are pursuit rated. I'm not sure what their availability is in Canada though.

Pursuit rated is not a concern here, they're used as utility vehicles. We currently have one 2012 2WD Tahoe that was sent to us because one of our car was totalled during the Crown Vic/Taurus switch over. That thing is useless.

Ontario Provincial Police use Super Duties to tow (crew cab with fiberglass cap on back)