Do all cars rattle?

2008 Explorer EB - no consistent rattles. Not the best handling truck but very solid and quiet. My wife's BMW was in the shop for several days and she was driving the Explorer - she went out of her way to comment how quiet and smooth if drives.

I have owned nothing but Fords/Ford products since 1985. I have never experienced a rattle in any of these cars. I presently own a 2015 Fusion with no rattles (exceptionally tight body) and a 1997 F150 with no rattles. Rattles never entered my mind until I read this thread; however, I owned a 2005 Sable that occasionally had a popping noise in the plastic trim pieces on the instrument panel around the radio. I contributed that to simple expansion/contraction due to temperature. Was never a problem or distraction.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, they had the Edge a week, rattles fixed they said. Pulled onto the street to leave the dealer, still there. Turned around, rode with tech, he heard it, but need to wait for loaner to become available again. They've had it three of the last five weeks. 2016 Fusion loaner rattled. 2017 loaner (32! Miles) was more solid, but it too had a (less frequent) rattle. I'm getting closer and closer to trading it in. 2017 Fusion is a very nice upgrade from the 2016. Not a fan of the dial gear selector though.

You just rotate. The one in the fusion feels cheap. I always wanted to turn it the opposite of how I needed to - the gear is stationary, and you turn the dial to it. I'd prefer it the other way, selector stationary and gear to it. (It's hard to describe, I'd prefer you put your selection at 12 o'clock.). It's a pain when changing quick, like when doing a 3 point turn. I suppose you'd get used to it. I didn't test, but I believe it will go to park when you open the door.

I also did not like the auto start/stop.

Drove a 2017 Escape Titanium off the lot tonight. Around 170 miles because it was on a lot in Indiana and my dealer had to trade for it. Totally quiet. Panel gaps were perfect.

Rattle free cars do exist. Sorry your having problems sully.

Thanks. The dealer has been great about it. This time the tech heard it, so hopefully they can find it. In hindsight I probably should have insisted on riding along in the first place. There was a black 2017 Escape with the sport package when I picked up the 2017 Fusion. It was sharp. Had the 2017 Escape been out when I replaced my 2003 (with the Edge) I'd probably have gotten it. Even with all its problems I still love the Edge.

That said, I have never driven a sedan as much as I have in the last month. That Fusion Sport sure seems sweet ;)

finally got rid of the Focus eh?

Still have it. Played "Escape roulette". 2017 Titanium Sport goes to the wife, her 2011 Escape XLT Sport goes to one daughter and her 2004 Escape goes to my youngest.

I plan on getting a new Focus before production goes south of the border.

Edited by Pioneer

Heh, didn't catch that he meant he bought it - Congrats Pioneer! My Escape was the best car I've ever owned. Hope yours treats you well.

Thanks. Was relishing not having a car payment for awhile. Lasted all of two months. Youngest needed a car for school and used car prices are crazy. Made sense to me to buy new and shuffle existing cars around.

But, yet again, dear old dad isn't getting the new one. But all three of my girls are in reliable transportation. That's what counts.

• Like 1

Still have it. Played "Escape roulette". 2017 Titanium Sport goes to the wife, her 2011 Escape XLT Sport goes to one daughter and her 2004 Escape goes to my youngest.

I plan on getting a new Focus before production goes south of the border.

Gotcha. FYI, since I know you're going to get a manual to avoid the DCT, the gearing of the manual is very weird, it took a long time for me to get used to it and I still can't stand how it's geared. The 6 speed manual on the 1.0 is much better but you don't have near the same options to choose from.

Gotcha. FYI, since I know you're going to get a manual to avoid the DCT, the gearing of the manual is very weird, it took a long time for me to get used to it and I still can't stand how it's geared. The 6 speed manual on the 1.0 is much better but you don't have near the same options to choose from.

Yeah. I was looking at that. Definitely getting a manual, and it will have to be special ordered. Just for fun the salesman said he could get me anything on a dealer trade. I told him I wanted an SE hatch, 201a with moonroof, Sony and cold weather package. He gave up quickly.

The 1.0 scares me a little. I want 200k+ out of my next vehicle. Don't know if it's up to the task.

Yeah. I was looking at that. Definitely getting a manual, and it will have to be special ordered. Just for fun the salesman said he could get me anything on a dealer trade. I told him I wanted an SE hatch, 201a with moonroof, Sony and cold weather package. He gave up quickly.

The 1.0 scares me a little. I want 200k+ out of my next vehicle. Don't know if it's up to the task.

Well the 1.0 with a manual rules out half of what you want anyway. Not available with Sony or 201a

I wonder if reductions in exterior noise intrusion make smaller noises inside the vehicle stand out more?

I do think this is part of it - I don't remember my 2003 Escape rattling, but it was comparatively simple (it had only four! Airbags ;)) and it was LOUD.

At least I get to check out a variety of Fords while they try to fix my Edge. Picked up a 2017 Escape with 300 miles. The thing is SOLID. Not one rattle. Reminds me of my 2003 more than I expected. If the 2017 had been available I might have ended up with one instead of the Edge.

Edited by sullynd

For certain repairs always SHOW your service writer or a tech. This saves a tech time and frustration. And for a tech, time is LITERALLY money as most techs pay is commission. Ford has cut diagnosis time to almost nothing, so it is difficult for him, mentally and pocketbook, to spend a lot of time on something that is not readily apparent.

Noises are the VERY VERY top of that list.

***What you hear, may not be what he hears. That rattle you hear may not be the noise he hears. He may fix something that you weren't concerned with and have a recheck thinking he fixed it and get to fix it literally for free the second time.

***How you make it happen may be different than he assumes too. Early Explorers were bad about making A pillar trim noise in crosswinds. Without that information, he might drive it and NPF it because it wasn't in the right crosswind or other operational condition.

***A noise may be a characteristic of your particular type of vehicle. I.E. The new high pressure direct injection systems are LOUD and kind of sound like a ticky engine. If this is your first car with it you may not think its right. I had a customer that had had a car at another facility and spent thousands, literally to try and fix a noise in his vehicle. It was a boom noise with one window down while driving at highway speeds. He was irate that he had spent so much time an money elsewhere on a characteristic that any car can have in the right situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my Edge after two weeks in for the rattle, didn't make it a block before it started rattling, worse than before, unfortunately I had to get home to pick up my son from school. It goes back in next week. So far my loaners have been a focus, fusion (x3), and an Escape. Wonder what I'll get this time.