Mustang SUV

meyeste

As a father of two, that is also a soccer coach, baseball coach, avid skier, snow shoe-er, hiker and mountain biker, dog owner, I find that while I really want a Mustang GT, it's just not practical. On the other hand, I like the look of the Mustang, it's bold, beautiful and it puts a smile on your face when you start it, puts a smile on your face when you walk to it in a parking lot, puts a smile on your face when you open it up running down the freeway. (I do have access to a Mustang GT from a gracious friend). On the other hand another bigger vehicle with 4x4 is needed for all the things i do above, and I love the Expedition's capability, however the Mustang is in a different realm altogether when it comes to owner satisfaction. So while we have our people mover SUV's, I'd like to see Ford get in on the performance SUV market, and why bother being creative with the name just call it "Mustang SUV", use the same dog house, about the size of a X5, with a 5.0L and in it, the 2.7L turbo in it, you couldn't keep them on the lots. There'd be a high profit platform to share high performance engine development costs, honestly this is probably worth more than saving Lincoln, and I'd bet someone at Ford is already proposing it, - they have my support. Mustang SUV!!! And BTW I really do like the new Lincoln Navigator - that thing is killer, it's sorta what I am asking for here, but honestly I don't know that I could bring myself to buy a Lincoln.

Edited by meyeste

another word

Bronco

A Bronco is different in concept it's an off-roader, look at the ultra success of vehicles like the Porsche SUV's, Audi SUV's, BMW SUV's these owners have little or no intention of ever taking them off-road, if they go off-road it's at the parking grounds of the polo club or some type of athletic game. I like Ford's SUV's (except the Explorer, don't get me started) and they may be sporty however they don't look sporty, not dedicated sporty, not like a Mustang or a Cayenne looks sporty. I don't believe there is a market for a return of the Bronco, however there clearly is a market for performance dedicated SUV's, the Mustang 5.0 Coyote is just too good of an engine, an SUV that compares to the Edge as the Mustang compares to a Focus would be a run-away success.

• Like 1

^ thumb.gif

I'm very much in favor of exploring whitespaces on the Coupe-Sedan-Cuv-Suv spectrum

&

have been gently ranting for a sportbrake for the Lincoln STARstang family

:D

and more vigorously ranting for a sportier short-wlb MKX

which imho

would come out directly targeting the Macan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Take a look at the Explorer Sport or Edge Sport...

I have been looking at Expeditions and Explorers, I love the outside of Explorers, the interior just doesn't feel right to me, I really wish it did, it just doesn't. The Expedition on the other hand is nice, my kids love them, and I love they way it drives, I like the interior as well, I'm not hurting to get a SUV and may just bite the bullet and get the Mustang GT anyway - put snow tires on the van....

:thumbsup: Mustang SUV? looool....Very innovative.. But do u really think this is a good idea? After all, u see, mustang is a sports car... :doh:

I really do, sure Ford has the Escape, Edge, Explorer and Expedition. Other than the Expedition they are all very good in their respective classes. With the 3.5 EB Expedition is now doing quite well vs. the GM large UTEs and honestly I believe in that class the #1 sales maker is the mpg number, if Ford beats the GM utes with those numbers with the next generation the sales picture will turn on it's ear immediately.

However look at Porsche - the Cayenne changed that company significantly basically for the reason I have stated above, people wanted a Porsche but it didn't fit into their lives. Slap a 5.0L and a Mustang-esc dog house on an Edge and they'd have one, kinda like what they have now but with daring, provocative style not "stylistic safety".

Edited by meyeste

• 4 weeks later...

Three months later and I still think this is an awesome idea - a SUV build for superior on-road performance from the onset. Sure some off-road capability - though nothing beyond handling sand, snow or a moderately muddy gravel road. Requisites 5.0L, 6 speed manual as an option, looks the part - as a Mustang looks the part and an interior you love - also like the Mustang.

I think what he's looking for is something like the BMW X6M

2015-bmw-x6-m-24_653.jpg

I too would love a Mustang based, 5 passenger, AWD vehicle like the BMW X6 with either a high output 3.5 EcoBoost or a Coyote 5.0. It wouldn't have to share the Mustang name. They could call it a Maverick or come up with some other name (although a Mustang, a Maverick X6 fighter and a Bronco SUV all in the same showroom would be pretty sweet).

I've driven the Explorer Sport, but it's no X6. It's not even as sporty as a base X5. The closest I've come to a sporty Ford CUV is the latest Edge Sport. It's really nice, but I would prefer a RWD biased AWD to a FWD biased AWD.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Take a look at the Explorer Sport or Edge Sport...

I have, first the Edge is too small for me. Put an Explorer next to a Mustang and tell me which looks better? Shut off the engineering side of your brain that values functionality - you'll pick the Mustang everytime. Ford turned the Fusion, Mustang into very attractive vehicles that catch your eye, why not do that with the Explorer/Expedition? I get they are pretty useful vehicles with optional engines that make them very quick. I need them to appeal to the right side of my brain as well as the left, it's an "have it all" world, they need to have it all. Put another way, an Explorer or Expedition - one of which likely will be my next purchase doesn't cost a whole lot less than a Mercedes GLE or GLS (they only European SUV's built well enough to buy IMO) well if I didn't qualify for discounts...objectively on appearance how does either compare? If you ask me a GLE or GLS looks a lot better. If we were to compare a Fusion to a C class Mercedes, I'd say "depends on your preference if you ignore the nameplate", and I don't think I am the only one. The Edge, Explorer, Expedition are competing with Audi, Mercedes, BMW in their higher trim levels, they need to step it up when it comes to the body. Again, I bet there is someone at Ford saying the same thing, I'm backing them up.

I see the Bronco is coming, I'll definitely have a look, I know it'll be retro and that look has it's attraction - I'm not sure I could live with it ten years.... and while I know there is probably demand for a minimal version - it doesn't come from me - load it UP!

I have, first the Edge is too small for me.

Take a second look at an Edge Sport ! I have heard the 2.7L EcoBoost is a beast !! Comfortable seating for 4 adults, and a reasonable cargo area that almost doubles when you fold down the back seats.

My problem with the Sport is. that it is set up as a "street fighter" not even close to a SUV. I would like to see 18" rims with some beefy 235/70R18 "aggressive" tires and a trailer tow option up to 4000-5000 lbs.

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1

Take a second look at an Edge Sport ! I have heard the 2.7L EcoBoost is a beast !! Comfortable seating for 4 adults, and a reasonable cargo area that almost doubles when you fold down the back seats.

My problem with the Sport is. that it is set up as a "street fighter" not even close to a SUV. I would like to see 18" rims with some beefy 235/70R18 "aggressive" tires and a trailer tow option up to 4000-5000 lbs.

I've driven both the new Edge Sport and Explorer Sport and they are both great vehicles. The Edge is definitely the sportier of the two. I think offering the Edge Titanium's 19" wheel & tire combo as an option should allow it to tow up to 3500 lbs. Or maybe offer the 2.7 EcoBoost in the Edge Titanium.

If the MKX gets the 400HP 3.0T, that would be worth a look at as a family man's Mustang replacement.

I don't have an issue with the actual performance of the Edge or Explorer the 2.7L and 3.5L EB engines are awesome I am big supporter, however they need to look the part, the Explorer is a people mover any way you look at it. I have heard they are going to return it to a RWD platform in the next generation, I am just hoping they put a effort into the body styling as they did with the Fusion and Mustang.

For example take a close look at the Mercedes, BMW's and Audi's wizzing by most are the lowest cost model that can be had - they look the part and most have no idea the difference. Looking the part - might be a sorry picture on the state of affairs, is more important to many than walking the part.

Edited by meyeste

I find the Explorer to be one of the best looking utilities out there. But a box is a box is a box - it will never look like a mustang. Explorer looks WAY better than Mercedes utes if you ask me, but honestly that's all just personal preferences.

I'm thinking that the upcoming Bronco will be exactly what I am looking for...

I'll take that back, now that it's out - nope. And given there are signs the appetite for the Wrangler is waning I question this vehicle, all I can say is the top had better come off or it will be DOA.

Edited by meyeste
  • Like 1

I don't have an issue with the actual performance of the Edge or Explorer the 2.7L and 3.5L EB engines are awesome I am big supporter, however they need to look the part, the Explorer is a people mover any way you look at it. I have heard they are going to return it to a RWD platform in the next generation, I am just hoping they put a effort into the body styling as they did with the Fusion and Mustang.

For example take a close look at the Mercedes, BMW's and Audi's wizzing by most are the lowest cost model that can be had - they look the part and most have no idea the difference. Looking the part - might be a state picture on the state of affairs, but is more important to many than walking the part.

Explorer looks just like a $100K Range Rover. I've actually mistaken one for the other a few times. You're not going to style a boxy utility the same as a car. It's not physically possible. A Cayenne does not look like a 911.

Sounds like you want a Porsche Cayenne which is the closest to a Mustang SUV as you can probably get from a aesthetic and performance standpoint.

Ford SUVs will never be that exotic, they are based on less exotic economical FWD platforms with a utilitarian non-luxury customer.

And in what way is a Bronco anything like a Mustang SUV exactly? I can't think of anything that is more opposite.

Edited by BORG

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like you want a Porsche Cayenne which is the closest to a Mustang SUV as you can probably get from a aesthetic and performance standpoint.

Ford SUVs will never be that exotic, they are based on less exotic economical FWD platforms with a utilitarian non-luxury customer.

And in what way is a Bronco anything like a Mustang SUV exactly? I can't think of anything that is more opposite.

I am hearing mixed details about the Bronco, first it was to be a "unibody" SUV in the spirit of a Jeep GC, if true that would be a platform Ford could easily create a performance SUV from. However I am now hearing more likely it'll be a body on frame vehicle with the intention it will compete with the Wrangler.

IMO it's foolish to complete with the Wrangler, it's been out there too long and it's an emotional choice where people decide "I don't care that it's impractical". On the other hand the Jeep Grand Cherokee is very practical and it's very affordable - honestly it's a terrific value when it comes to extremely capable off-roaders AND because it has a uni-body construction Jeep is able to make the road performance biased forms. So IMO Ford would be best served if the Bronco were a uni-body construction that will allow a grand-cherokee competitor. Forget about competing with the Wrangler I hear GM is going to try that - GM should remember their most successful clones have always been of a Ford.

If Explorer goes to CD6 as some of us believe then that is your high performance JGC type unibody utility.

Bronco wouldn't have to "compete" with Wrangler per se. There should be plenty of Ford buyers for such a vehicle to support it on a shared platform.