Mustang SUV

meyeste

Sounds like you want a Porsche Cayenne which is the closest to a Mustang SUV as you can probably get from a aesthetic and performance standpoint.

Ford SUVs will never be that exotic, they are based on less exotic economical FWD platforms with a utilitarian non-luxury customer.

And in what way is a Bronco anything like a Mustang SUV exactly? I can't think of anything that is more opposite.

Well I have heard two different configurations for the Bronco, one - it'll compete with the Wrangler, which while sounds awesome, I don't see that will be a long term successful configuration. Wranglers are an ICON, a part of American culture most kids grow up wanting one among others. The same cannot be said of a Bronco. I also heard the Bronco will be a unit body, if it is a unit body however unlike the current models Ford sells is designed to be highly capable off road that would fit the need. If it has a unit body platform editions could be built that compete with the Grand Cherokee performance models, the BMW X5, Porsche etc. I believe, without a doubt that type of a vehicle will be far, far more successful than a Wrangler competitor and as I stated an attempt at a body on frame wrangler competitor will ultimately fail, if not failing right out of the gate.

If Ford wants a Wrangler competitor, create a Ranger variant. For the Bronco let the exterior design team that designed the S550 exterior loose, target the X5, Cayenne, Volvo X90, Audi Q series. That will be a strong seller, a Wrangler competitor is a novel idea, however it'll fall flat, let GM make that mistake, not Ford.

Sounds like you want a Porsche Cayenne which is the closest to a Mustang SUV as you can probably get from a aesthetic and performance standpoint.

Ford SUVs will never be that exotic, they are based on less exotic economical FWD platforms with a utilitarian non-luxury customer.

I've always felt the Cayenne was frumpy, that it's proportions are hampered by its VW origins. The Macan does a much better job, and is a better size comparison.

The F-Pace would make a good Mustang SUV IMHO.

• Like 1

I've always felt the Cayenne was frumpy, that it's proportions are hampered by its VW origins. The Macan does a much better job, and is a better size comparison.

The F-Pace would make a good Mustang SUV IMHO.

I agree, I like the F-Pace I used the Porsche Cayenne as an example because the existence of that SUV changed Porsche's fortune considerably. The Cayenne is "a Porsche" than can fit until the role of daily driver more easily. I'd really prefer it if Ford modeled the upcoming Expedition's exterior after the F-Pace vs. the hearse like GM large SUV's.

I'm just saying can they be made to look as ready to go as they maybe, in the way that a Mustang looks the part of a performance car while parked.

Any SUV variant would need to be all wheel drive. With that said, I recall discussion about the fact that the GT350's front hubs were splined, suggesting it could be all wheel drive, but I never did hear the ultimate purpose behind the hubs. I do believe their is an opportunity here for an SUV like this be it a Ford or a Lincoln. I would prefer it be a Lincoln though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And in what way is a Bronco anything like a Mustang SUV exactly? I can't think of anything that is more opposite.

As far as your last question - that remains to be seen, will it be body on frame or unit body.... if it's unit body, there are a wide array of options. It seems to me however Ford really has no choice, the downside of the 50 mpg cafe restriction is that luxury makers like Mercedes, BMW, Audi have no choice but to sell low cost, high mpg vehicles - see the CLA, GLA, X1, X3, Discovery, etc these vehicles are priced within range of the Edge, Explorer, and Mercedes & BMW have decent reliability these days, heck I'd spring for a GLE if I could get a great deal. Also see the new Discovery, with it land rover is pretty much taking aim at the Explorer. It's a changing market and one thing is certain profits come from delivering what upscale buyers want.

I believe w/o a doubt a body on frame Bronco will be a bust, a true sports SUV from ford will be a run away success.

Edited by meyeste

• 1 month later...

So the 2018 Expedition is out, For the most part I like it - I don't get the "rotary gear shifter" why is that a thing? After all the issues Jeep had with them - people getting killed, I'd prefer the standard stick. I hope that with the "knob" it's possible by feel alone to know what gear you've just put the vehicle in, otherwise I believe it's a safety hazard.

So the 2018 Expedition is out, For the most part I like it - I don't get the "rotary gear shifter" why is that a thing? After all the issues Jeep had with them - people getting killed, I'd prefer the standard stick. I hope that with the "knob" it's possible by feel alone to know what gear you've just put the vehicle in, otherwise I believe it's a safety hazard.

The rotary knob wasn't the problem with Jeep. It was a lever and the problem was how you put the vehicle in park. Rotary knobs don't have that issue. You can also see the current gear in the gauge cluster.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quoting this for future reference.......

I put it out there for that reason - a Wrangler competitor will be a bust. have perhaps a 4 year run and sales will be so abysmal it'll be discontinued after that. A better idea would to build a dependable clone of a Discovery.

I put it out there for that reason - a Wrangler competitor will be a bust. have perhaps a 4 year run and sales will be so abysmal it'll be discontinued after that. A better idea would to build a dependable clone of a Discovery.

It's not going to sell 100K/year, but it doesn't have to because it's sharing the platform with Ranger. 150K between Ranger and Bronco should be fine and there is always room for an Everest as a smaller alternative to the new Explorer/Aviator which would be the Discovery competitor. This is a completely different market. My guess is the target is probably 25K/yr.

It's not going to sell 100K/year, but it doesn't have to because it's sharing the platform with Ranger. 150K between Ranger and Bronco should be fine and there is always room for an Everest as a smaller alternative to the new Explorer/Aviator which would be the Discovery competitor. This is a completely different market. My guess is the target is probably 25K/yr.

I see Everest more as the natural competitor to 4Runner andGrand Cherokee as a RWD.

The Bronco can carve itself as a Defender replacement more than Wrangler competitor.

I see Everest more as the natural competitor to 4Runner andGrand Cherokee as a RWD.

The Bronco can carve itself as a Defender replacement more than Wrangler competitor.

I think Bronco will be a Wrangler competitor based on off road capability. If they just wanted a Defender competitor then Everest is a better choice.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

No, no, a thousand times no. Rule number 1. Don't dilute or confuse your iconic brands.

I do think there's an opportunity in the space you're talking about. I'd suggest two products - a more agressive version of the Edge Sport - Edge ST or something. And a Lincoln product on that platform dedicated to that "Sport CUV niche" - maybe a Lincoln Zephyr or Capri if you want to mine existing brands.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No, no, a thousand times no. Rule number 1. Don't dilute or confuse your iconic brands.

I do think there's an opportunity in the space you're talking about. I'd suggest two products - a more agressive version of the Edge Sport - Edge ST or something. And a Lincoln product on that platform dedicated to that "Sport CUV niche" - maybe a Lincoln Zephyr or Capri if you want to mine existing brands.

No Coyote though.....