Nissan the next Mitsubishi?

Fgts

Their CVT's make the cars as dull as a humidifier. Hit the gas and it makes noise, and sloooowly moves.

But, they coast on being one of the original Japanese Big 3, so many buyers automatically pick them, thinking "my uncle had a Datsun Z car in 70's and loved it".

Only if the car fall apart, like the Mitsu Galants will they turn into faded brand. The CVT's may be slow, but they give average drivers an "on/off switch".

Nissan's enormous success has no parallel to Mitsubishi's complete failure. Nissan has allot of successful product. I think the closest analogy might be Hyundai and it's aggressive and unsustainable overreaching, but in this case they are just forcing dealerships to do all the work instead of their pocketbooks. There are quite a few businesses out there that set ridiculous short-term goals and are stunned when it blows up in their face once the leadership changes. I don't think Nissan is actually in any sort of crisis however, this is all adieu about nothing. Companies have a long history of squeezing dealerships and business continues.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2

Their CVT's make the cars as dull as a humidifier. Hit the gas and it makes noise, and sloooowly moves.

But, they coast on being one of the original Japanese Big 3, so many buyers automatically pick them, thinking "my uncle had a Datsun Z car in 70's and loved it".

Only if the car fall apart, like the Mitsu Galants will they turn into faded brand. The CVT's may be slow, but they give average drivers an "on/off switch".

The problem is the CVTs, Google "Nissan CVT failures" to know what i'm talking about. I wouldn't touch a used Nissan with one.

The problem is the CVTs, Google "Nissan CVT failures" to know what i'm talking about. I wouldn't touch a used Nissan with one.

My brother in law is a mechanic for the main Nissan dealer around here... and he will be the first to tell you to avoid anything with this transmission. Absolute junk.

My brother in law is a mechanic for the main Nissan dealer around here... and he will be the first to tell you to avoid anything with this transmission. Absolute junk.

These transmissions are made by Jatco, the leading producer of CVT for passenger car and light truck use globally. The company is owned 75% by Nissan, 15% by Mitsubishi Motors, and 10% by Suzuki.

In addition to Nissan and Renault vehicles, Jatco CVT is also used in Mitsubishi Colt, Mirage, Lancer, Outlander Sport/RVR/ASX, and Outlander; Suzuki Kizashi; Dodge Caliber; and Jeep Patriot/Compass.

Edited by aneekr

These transmissions are made by Jatco, the leading producer of CVT for passenger car and light truck use globally. The company is owned 75% by Nissan, 15% by Mitsubishi Motors, and 10% by Suzuki.

In addition to Nissan and Renault vehicles, Jatco CVT is also used in Mitsubishi Colt, Mirage, Lancer, Outlander Sport/RVR/ASX, and Outlander; Suzuki Kizashi; Dodge Caliber; and Jeep Patriot/Compass.

My 2008 Jeep Compass' Jatco-built CVT had to be completely replaced at 75k miles. Fortunately the 2008's came with a Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty that FCA honored, even though Cerebus was long gone, and Jeep had gone through the bankruptcy already!

The performance is tolerable - but since this is the ONLY vehicle transmission I've ever had fail on me in 37 years of driving - methinks I'll be avoiding ANY CVT equipped vehicles in the future.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine
  • Like 1

I take back the CVT comment, it's noisy and slow.

Group of friends and I rented a Versa and wanted to take it back, but the 'cheap' rental agency [off airport] said "you'll have to pay more..."

Seems like CVT is just a cheap way to get "better MPG". I just hope the Gov't doesn't force all cars to have them.

RE: Other CVT cars Friend has an '09 Caliber and likes it so much he forgets its name! JK, only got it as a "cheap 4x4", and is eager to get rid of it.

Another buddy traded in a 2002 CR-V for a Jeep Patriot, and only got it since "it's a Jeep!". Now says "CR-V was better!" He had it from 2002-13, ya think!??

Edited by 630land

The Jeeps switch to a regular AT a year or two ago, right? (And Caliber has been dead for years)

Jeep Compass and Patriot models with 2.0L gasoline engine are still paired to the Jatco CVT or Magna T355 manual transmission, while those with the 2.4L engine come with a traditional 6-speed automatic designed by Hyundai.