Ford announces new investment in Mexico amid election-year controversy

I was waiting for someone to mention NAFTA. Given the products that are built in Mexico and where they are sold, it makes sense.

It's not just NAFTA, Mexico has free trade agreements with South & Central America, Europe, Japan, Israel and even Cuba. (http://www.promexico.gob.mx/en/mx/tratados-comerciales) Their trade agreements are making them the logical choice for vehicle assembly for non-single market low cost vehicles to max out an assembly plant.

• Like 1

Donald Trump doesn't understand, that for every car built in Mexico a car ISN'T built in Korea or other far flung country. Plus it makes it profitable for a US car company that may not have built the car at all otherwise.

Important to me, as a SoCal resident, we need to make Mexico's economy stronger so less try to cross the border. NAFTA is North America: Canada, US and Mexico. They aren't just neighbors. We need to coexist economically. Canada isn't flocking to the US or vice versa. there's an opportunity to help us, and to bring up the living standards of Mexico. It's the economic disparity that creates the illegal aliens problem.

Unemployment is around 5% and Ford isn't building less vehicles here.

It's not just NAFTA, Mexico has free trade agreements with South & Central America, Europe, Japan, Israel and even Cuba. (http://www.promexico.gob.mx/en/mx/tratados-comerciales) Their trade agreements are making them the logical choice for vehicle assembly for non-single market low cost vehicles to max out an assembly plant.

Correct you are. And that's really what I meant, especially Central and South America.

(I'm a little disappointed you linked me to the English version of the page. :) )

Canada is the 51st state. Besides, we get good beer and hockey in exchange! Win-win!

No Canadian teams in the playoffs this year but plenty of talent. USA has some great beer if you know where to look. I enjoy being on top of you as well. Win-win! ;)

• Like 1

No Canadian teams in the playoffs this year but plenty of talent. USA has some great beer if you know where to look. I enjoy being on top of you as well. Win-win! ;)

Good, now please sign these articles if annexation we have prepared. Do you want to be one huge state or a bunch of big States? We need to know how many new stars go on the flags. Edited by Moosetang
  • Like 2

I understand that you're a sadist. Or is it masochist? I always get those two confused.

Being a born-and-raised Cleveland fan, I guess you could say it's in my blood. At least the Indians are incredibly fun to watch, and I'll always have my Buckeyes.

Seriously though, CBJ is finally evenly fleshed out on talent and they have the right coach for the first time in franchise history. I'm optimistic to see a full camp and season with Torts at the helm.

Or, as Cleveland fans famously proclaim: "Just wait 'til next year!"

• Like 1

Being a born-and-raised Cleveland fan, I guess you could say it's in my blood. At least the Indians are incredibly fun to watch, and I'll always have my Buckeyes.

Seriously though, CBJ is finally evenly fleshed out on talent and they have the right coach for the first time in franchise history. I'm optimistic to see a full camp and season with Torts at the helm.

Or, as Cleveland fans famously proclaim: "Just wait 'til next year!"

CBJ has the ingredients for success. A jaundice eye could also say the same for the Maple Leafs. Good luck.

• Like 1

How do you complain about Canadian production when Ford closed up the truck plant and an engine plant? The Ford footprint in that country is a lot smaller than 20 years ago.

But if Ford moved production from a U.S. plant to Oakville tomorrow nobody would bat an eye about it.

• Like 1

I understand that you're a sadist. Or is it masochist? I always get those two confused.

A sadist found a masochist laying on the side of the road.

The masochist said, "Hurt me, please."

The sadist laughed with glee and replied, "No."

While I think Trump is off base complaining about Ford, I will say moving jobs to Canada rather than Mexico is better because there is not a huge wage disparity. Free trade makes sense from an strict economics point of view, the problem is while the U.S. historically shared increased productivity with working classes/middle class it doesn't happen as well in other countries and it is now starting to not happen in the U.S. So does the increased profitability go soley to the Trumps of the world or does it lead to more jobs where hard working people can earn enough to send their kids to college?

Thanks to Ford and the Unions even with this plant, Ford is creating good jobs. This needs to be done to remain competitive, and each of us can protect fair wages buy placing a premium on products from manufacturers like Ford that are treating their workforce better than many of their competitors. As to Trump instead of complaining about Ford he should complaining about the growing income gap he and his peers are creating.

The whole thing has bee exacerbated by Ford not giving enough information on the replacement products coming to MAP.

Instead of focusing on what's being lost / moved to Mexico, Ford should be talking up those new value adding products.

• Like 2